Equidistant meeting place

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Equidistant meeting place
May 13, 2003, 10:45
Following on from something I suggested in another thread, I was wondering whether we could figure out an equidistant meeting place that us lot could potentially meet up at.

We could do a quick poll on who lives where, and pick a spot in the middle.

Better still, Holy could add a field to our profiles so that we could enter a town, then we could have an alternative map browser plotting where we all are. It's ingenious (but I'm not sure how useful it would be).

Actually, it could be useful, because it would allow us to send questions to people who are local to a site.

Kammer x
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

We are a migratory species ...
May 13, 2003, 11:09
And would need to factor in the introvert/extrovert personal indices.

Haltwhistle describes itself as the centre of the UK - then somewhere else will say 'you can't be, you've measured wrong, we're the centre of the UK'. (It's really Slaggyford - which is near to Haltwh.... !).

Eclipse appearing on Friday also to 'bear in mind'.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: We are a migratory species ...
May 13, 2003, 11:24
I was thinking along the lines of a very inexact science.

:-)#

K x
treaclechops
treaclechops
378 posts

Vaguely inexact
May 13, 2003, 12:20
Well, how about those as wish to put an OS grid ref for their town on their profile? That way, it could be copied and pasted into multi/streetmap.co.uk so those as want to get together, can find out?

t'chops xx
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Re: Equidistant meeting place
May 13, 2003, 12:51
How about Spaghetti Junction in Birmingham?

An old, worn, massive, man-made structure with a circular pit structure undeath it. It attracts thousands (millions?) of visitors each year and it 's purpose remains a mystery to even the most seasoned traveller.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Vaguely inexact
May 13, 2003, 12:53
Plugging my postcode into Streetmap gives TQ285928 when converted... not much round here that people would be interested in asking about :-(
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Spagetti Junction
May 13, 2003, 12:57
I love the fact that they spread piss rather than salt on it in icy conditions so as to prevent rapid surface deterioration!
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: More vague!
May 13, 2003, 13:48
That might be a bit <I>too</I> specific for most people. If I did that it would be like publishing my address on the Web, because I live in the countryside.

If we just used town names, then it would protect privacy a bit.

Kammer x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Equidistant meeting place
May 13, 2003, 14:08
This is madness, it'll end up as Brum, I know it, I know it.

It needs two venues perhaps - a Northern one two thirds up the M6 and a Southern one halfway along the M4 (Avebury, hurrah!)
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Clay and concrete ...
May 13, 2003, 14:13
That equidistant meeting place, though - it's here. It's a bit more than two feet away. Depends on ambient light and which pair of reading glasses (for me). Or is it *there*?

Does it count as evolution though ? The people that make traditional fiddles - one pseudo-random example - are mainly communicating using this new 'facility'. So are electro-acoustic makers. List is nearly endless.

And so on.
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index