I'm off to Cornwall

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

I'm off to Cornwall
May 02, 2003, 13:26
Right, I'm all set for a few days in Cornwall, staying round St. Ives, driving down some time tomorrow. I was supposed to be going a couple of months ago, but *issues* got in the way, so it'll be my first time visiting the sites down there - expect endless repetitive shots of Men-An-Tol et al. Hahaha!!! :)

Anyone got any recommendations for less frequently visited sites that I might want to have a look at? I've put together a big list of sites from TMA, and I'll try to visit a few of the ones which haven't had any (or many) posts yet.

IM
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: I'm off to Cornwall
May 02, 2003, 14:48
Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing your completely unique, carefully composed, stunningly lit, mean, moody, magnificent shots of Men-An-Tol, which will of course put to SHAME the repetitive. Arf!

Will you write us a weblog when you get back?

May the magic of Land's End blow away any '*issues* cobwebs'.
Have fun, IM
J
x
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

May 02, 2003, 14:49
There's a lost portal dolmen - probably the wrong name - that had a circular capstone in West Penwith. That would be a find. It's not far from the Bospothennis beehive hut and Borlase (?) recorded it. There's an old map somewhere on the web that shows a plethora of ancient monuments near this hamlet. Mentions a large tumulus with a depression on top and a tiny cromlech in it.

There should be cupmarked stones in Cornwall somewhere - maybe nobody has noticed them yet !
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

May 02, 2003, 15:26
Sorry, I'm pretty much a Cornwall virgin as well, but we're planning on being there for the Summer Solstice, so I'm interested in hearing what other people recommend.

I went to Cornwall as a kid and dimly recall my father taking us to see some spiral carvings on a precipitous path along the side of a valley. I'd like to know where that was (should start by asking Dad I suppose).

Kammer x
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

May 02, 2003, 15:44
Yeah! Let's have Kammerdad back.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

May 02, 2003, 17:23
The carvings sound like those at Tintagel Castle...
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

May 02, 2003, 17:29
[[Bosporthennis]] isn't too well documented here on TMA - check out the entry which confuses it with Bodrifty...

Trencrom is a nice climb (and there are no pictures on TMA yet...)

I thought I found some cup markings in Chun Castle, but I'm not suffiociently familiar with the genre to say that's what they actually were.

Check out my Weblogs for previous visits. Purejoy and Paul1970 have also written weblogs on the area I believe.

Looking forward to reading your own account. Have fun!
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

May 02, 2003, 17:54
You call Kammerdad, and he puts on his pirelli slippers and creaks out to your service. (Any Discworld fans might know he as Cohen the Barbarian)

It was in Rocky Valley, a little north east of Tintagel between Halgabron and the sea.

http://uk8.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=206000&Y=89000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=true&scale=25000&right.x=29&right.y=7

Is the link to Multimap, but it may not work. I have not got that map. I will try to dig up some photos.

Kammerdad
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

May 02, 2003, 18:13
Welcome back!
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

May 06, 2003, 10:45
Just to explain why Kammerdad is posting as Kammer, I left his computer set up with me logged in. I done bad.

K x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index