The Village Pump »
Exploding The Teardrops

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Exploding The Teardrops
Sep 13, 2022, 10:07
Not sure if this blog has been flagged up on here before, apologies if it has.
Written by Rob M with a great deal of research, he shares with passion his views on each of the songs by The Teardrop Explodes in chronological order. An enjoyable and informative read. Recommended.

The first post:
https://explodingteardrops.blogspot.com/2021/10/exploding-teardrops-introduction.html?m=1

The most recent, Reward:
https://explodingteardrops.blogspot.com/2022/09/reward.html?m=1
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Exploding The Teardrops
Sep 13, 2022, 17:47
He mention Strange House in the Snow yet?
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Sep 15, 2022, 21:35
He hasn’t, but I have.
Many years ago I worked with a lad who used to write to Balfe. He got a cine film from Balfe that he had shot of Cope miming to Strange House in the Welsh hills with the intention of editing it together to make a promo film. I paid for it to be transferred onto VHS and copies were made for Balfe, my work mate, myself and another that was sent onto Cope.
Some years later I shared copies with a few heads on here.
I mentioned it to the blogger Rob M with the intention of sending on a copy. I’m sure someone digitised it back in 2006 or thereabouts but I can’t find a copy. Going to have to go back to the VHS and start again.
Strange House was an instant favourite for me. To put something this brilliant and out there on the flip side of the pop classic Reward was a mark of genius. A great track.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 15, 2022, 21:47
Yes, and maybe a bit disturbing. But still a track I bring out.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Sep 21, 2022, 08:38
Gnomon wrote:
I’m sure someone digitised it back in 2006 or thereabouts but I can’t find a copy.

That would be me. I included an edited and synced version among the 'Easter eggs' on the Copeulation DVD that I did before there was an official Copeulation DVD release. I'll more than likely still have the complete raw digitized footage somewhere too. Give me a couple of days and I'll see if I can track them down.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Sep 22, 2022, 16:19
I thought it might have been you PBT ???? I knew I’d seen it - glad I’m not going mad.
I had a look at the Copeulation compilation but didn’t see any mention on the box, forgetting about the Easter eggs. Just tried playing the discs but my only disk drive is on an ancient laptop that doesn’t seem to like DVDRW discs.
If I do get them to play, how do I crack open the Easter eggs? I remember the films/videos arranged into different era folders across the two discs.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Sep 23, 2022, 00:22
The discs are mastered to play their track lists in order. The 'Easter eggs' are hidden between some of the listed tracks and can be accessed by using the 'next' control on a DVD player ... or by opening the disc as a data folder on a PC and checking out each of the individual .vob files in turn by dragging and dropping them onto a media player.

Strange House is ripping to mp4 as I type. On reflection, synced as well as I was able with what I had to work with at the time.

Hopefully I can set it uploading overnight and provide a link to watch it sometime tomorrow. I'm also fairly sure that I've seen the disc of the full, unedited raw footage in a box that's up in the loft. Not sure whether I still have any blank DVD's knocking about or not though ... it's been a while.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Edited Oct 05, 2022, 00:35
Sep 23, 2022, 13:57
Here you go:
link expired
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Sep 23, 2022, 23:22
This is marvellous Thanks for looking this out and sharing (again.).
You did an excellent job. Definitely what Balfe & Cope had in mind when they were shooting the original footage.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Sep 24, 2022, 09:45
You're very kind, thank you. I don't feel like it's in any way 'mine' not to share. I'll leave it up for a week or two in case you want to share the link with Rob M.
The Village Pump Index