Register
Unsung Forum »
Ace Frehely review!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Ace Frehely review!
Mar 08, 2003, 03:11
Cool Cerberus! Oddly enough I was thinking of reviewing that very same KISS solo album cos' I've had a KISS thing in my head lately (happens once a year...just light the greasepaint and stand back). Thinking of sticking either Rock n Roll Over or Dynasty in as an Unsung review.
The Ace Frehely solo album is a real....Space Ace spectacular. But I love some of his quirky heavy Kiss songs like Hard Times & Torpedo Girl as well as the more known Cold Gin & Shock Me
Ace is one of my fave guitarists. Yeah he ain't Steve Howe but there is a raw, rock n roll Gibson heavy and you can whistle his solos.
The only thing is that outside of KISS Ace never bettered it ( and yes that means Frehely's Comet)

The only quibble I had is with your dismissal of the other dudes in the band. Seems a bit overly disingenous to Gene & Paul given the strength of their songs throughout KISS. And how much of a revolving door they have had for Ace over the years

But Ace! Yeah.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Re: Ace Frehley review!
Mar 09, 2003, 15:28
Seconded - a great review of a fine album. The secret of a good review is how desperate it makes you want to hear the record, and I couldn't get the case open fast enough this time.

I think Cerb's overtly dismissive of 'Paul Stanley' though. It's got some beltin' songs on it, especially 'It's Alright' which is pure Kiss through and through. Yeah, it's a bit AORish in places, but it's got real class running all the way through it (aside from 'Hold Me Touch Me' which is dire) and Stanley's on top vocal form.

Side one of 'Gene Simmons' is great too (side two is abject toss). But 'Peter Criss' is the worst record in my entire collection. Just thought of a good thread...
Cerberus
137 posts

Re: Moon Cat & Fitter Stoke
Mar 09, 2003, 16:55
Cheers, glad you appreciated the review. Sorry about being nasty to Paul & Gene though as I've nothing against them and think their Kiss songs are fantastic too, especially stuff like Do You Love Me? and Calling Dr Love - big glam rockers with 8 inch platform knobs on! Guess I was just being a little unfairly comparitive but I'm kinda new to this review lark and my main forte is psychedelia. However I do love big ridiculous rock and roll which explains the Kiss, Alice Cooper & Aerosmith in my collection. Ho Hum!
Unsung Forum Index