Loud Music on foot

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Loud Music on foot
Mar 04, 2003, 17:34
Vaguely in the interests of very political correct balance >yawn<, as the yin to the Loud Music in Cars thread's yang >yaaaaawn<, I thought it might be interesting to find out what people reckon are effective (or otherwise) walkman/MD/general personal stereo music for a pedestrian.

My favourite for the past year has been Mr Bungle's 'California': The huge range of styles and manic collage eclecticism and faux exoticism of it works brilliantly as a soundtrack to getting somewhere fast on foot round the city, you end up feeling bomarded with the weird multiculturalism in your ears as well as your eyes.

Weirdest walkman experience was years ago after a night of mental clubbing at Turnmills I was standing on a tube listening to Yello's 'One Second', as the E wore off and I was in raw full-on LSD trip. The track 'La Habanera' came on and suddenly the whole tube became a hazily lit tropical boat, and woah, were the commuters some weird exotic space mutants. I was supposed to be on the way to work myself (stupidly thought I could do it), but never made it. I sailed back home to bed truly truly freaked out. Still brings back freeky feelings all these years later.

best personal stereo music for a hungover trawl in to work the day anfter the night before: Japanese psych-folksters Ghost really really do it for me. Uplifting and beautiful with a slight undertow of intangible menace. Mmmmm.
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: Loud Music on foot
Mar 04, 2003, 19:20
If i 've gotta get a hoof on somewhere, i love 'Vision Creation New Sun' by the Boredoms. The first time i heard it, i had to do a Cope style speed walk around the neighbourhood until it had finished (and a few times after that...just seems to make my legs wanna move'.

Stuff for just trawling along...anything reall (Hmm, that's helpful), i usually record about 5 hours worth of stuff on my MD, then leave it on 'random' for a week or two...everything gets a play eventually....currently the MD contains a disc of Reboore- Eye/Boredoms, Can - Tago Mago, Circle - Rainio, The Vibracathedral Orchestra - Dabbling With Gravity And Who You Are, Faust -Patchwork.

Fav' walkman music to just 'be' ....Coil - Timemachines, or maybe Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich, that one takes my mind off in all sorts of ways
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Mar 04, 2003, 20:23
I Gotta Walk-Julian Cope
Walter's Walk-Led Zep
Walking On Sunshine-Katrina & the Waves
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Mar 04, 2003, 20:41
But Walk Of Life by Dire Straits is your favourite isn't it? Go on, admit it.
marvel63
marvel63
146 posts

Re: Loud Music on foot foot
Mar 04, 2003, 21:10
Anything by Scott Walker. Seriously, Deerhoof- Revellie, Celtic Frost-To Mega Therion and Glenn Gould- Bach Fugues (on organ). These give this LA landscape such a monumental and psychedelic theme. I have got to stop walking with my mouth open, they stare you know.
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Mar 04, 2003, 22:20
Actually it's Walking on Broken Glass by Eurythmics.Haven't listened to any Dire Straits for weeks now ;P
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Mar 05, 2003, 10:58
William Orbit got me through many a commute. I have to watch meself tho or I start to sing and dance :)
Killer
255 posts

Minidisc RIP
Mar 05, 2003, 11:40
I walk about 6 miles a day to and from the station, plus the 30 minutes each way on the train.

Minidisc has been my friend for the past couple of years on this trek back and forth. Yesterday it completely gave up on me, It was being held together by various bits of tape etc, now I just get a 'caution' message which means its basically dead.

How will I survive without it, this morning was hell, do I buy a new one , which is just in my budget ? or do I go a bit overbudget and get one of those 20GB MP3 players that I could fit my whole music collection on ?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Minidisc RIP
Mar 05, 2003, 11:54
>or do I go a bit overbudget and get one of those 20GB MP3 players that I could fit my whole music collection on ?<

I've been getting seriously tempted by one of those the last couple of weeks. the idea of having a couple of hundred CDs in my pocket is just too good to resist. Anyone out there use one already? I'm thinking of the Archos range. Anyone know what the sound quality/reliability is like? It would be great not only for commuting, but for holidays and in-car use too I reckon. Usually on holiday I cart stacks of CDs and a radio/cassette/CD player along, so one of these babies and a set of portable speakers would be splendid...
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: Minidisc RIP
Mar 05, 2003, 11:58
grufty bought one, was asking about it last night in the donor room
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index