What's your most valuable record?

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

What's your most valuable record?
Feb 28, 2003, 19:21
Okay, Anthony's Expensive Record thread got me thinking, irrespective of what you paid for it, what is the rarest or most valuable record in your collection? Being a serious vinyl junkie I want to see if any of my good friends herewith have any Elvis Sun sides, original Billy Nicholls LPs or whatever!

I guess mine is my original mono LP of Traffic's 'Mr Fantasy' which is in real good nick, probably worth about £70 if the Record Collector Anorak Guide is anything to go by. I have John and Yoko's 'Life With The Lions' in mint nick too, though it's a Japanese pressing.

I have a dream of being the only punter at a car boot sale where some little old lady is selling complete editions of pink Island and Harvest records for a pound a throw. Next to her is a bloke offering a pile of original Sun 45's for £10 the lot. I pull out my wallet and the bugger's empty!

I'm a bit of a pink Island label fetishist actually. Go on, tease me you bitches!
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Re: What's your most valuable record?
Feb 28, 2003, 21:23
i have a promo copy of coils astral disaster original vinyl lp and a copy af sun dials 'acid yantra' orange vinyl lp which i know to be quite rare.
dru
124 posts

Feb 28, 2003, 21:42
In terms of what they're worth compared with what I paid for them, probably all the early My Bloody Valentine 12 inches - New Record By MBV, Sunny Sundae Smile, Strawberry Wine.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 28, 2003, 22:53
I've got stuff I've been told is rare but I have no idea how much any albums etc I have are worth. Maybe some of you folk know. I DO know my mum once flogged a Motorhead original debut album on the Chiswick label and a Prog thing that I later saw going for £80 in a car boot sale for mere pence. DOH!

Anyhoo...some stuff might be worth something;

7" Single of Anaconda By Sisters Of Mercy
Lotus by Santana on triple vinyl (original) with acres of foldy out artwork all in good nick.
Lots of original YES and similar era stuff nicked from me dad on vinyl
Motorhead Golden Years 7" EP
Lemon Interrupt (aka Underworld) 12"
The Cult 'Resurrection Joe" 12" with funky sleeve

Stone Roses "What The World Is Waiting For" 12" with art print. Might be worth something cos its backed with Fools Gold and when Fools Gold became the 'hit side' it was swiftly repressesd with "Fools Gold" as the title on the cover.

The Black Dog - Bytes dble copper coloured vinyl.
Also a cassette of 'Temple of Transparent Balls' by The Black Dog which I know must be a rare album cos in Vinyl Exchange the one cd copy I've ever seen is going for £30! Funny thing is I picked the tape up in an old Our Price bargain bin for 50p! Has no cover but I've never seen the album anywhere since. In fact I'd like to copy the tape to CD 'cos I'm afraid of the tape getting chewed aiiiie!

I also have a 10" quadruple vinyl thing of Mind Over Rythm Meets the men from Plaid on the planet Luv which may be rare?

Just had a look and there's loads of various 10" singles and funny coloured things and that. Things like the first Garbage album spread over 6 7" singles in a box. I guess I should check all this out one day.
Samsdice
Samsdice
46 posts

Mar 01, 2003, 00:19
Me'n mrs dice had Mr. Fantasy for years.
Sing us a song and make us happy.......
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Checked out!
Mar 01, 2003, 09:37
7" Single of Anaconda By Sisters Of Mercy £5

Lotus by Santana on triple vinyl (original) with acres of foldy out artwork all in good nick. £18

Motorhead Golden Years 7" EP £5

Lemon Interrupt (aka Underworld) 12" £20-25

The Cult 'Resurrection Joe" 12" with funky sleeve £2-3

Stone Roses "What The World Is Waiting For" 12" with art print. Might be worth something cos its backed with Fools Gold and when Fools Gold became the 'hit side' it was swiftly repressesd with "Fools Gold" as the title on the cover. £10

The Black Dog - Bytes dble copper coloured vinyl. £40

the first Garbage album spread over 6 7" singles in a box. £12-£15

All prices are for mint copies. I've got the book cos I used to deal a little in second hand records.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Checked out!
Mar 01, 2003, 11:22
Hey nice one dude. Is there a website for all this sort of thing 'cos I have loads of other curiosities?
I wouldn't call myself a collector cos it's the music I'm after, but over the years I have, usually by chance, accumulated bits n pieces; funny formats and things with prints etc.
Not that I'm looking to sell stuff particularly but it'd be nice to know.
Thanks for your help !
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Re: Checked out!
Mar 01, 2003, 12:01
I use the book, but a good way of knowing how much something is worth is to look on places like GEMM etc, and compare to what people are willing to pay through Ebay!

I once saw a Soft Machine single go for £250 on ebay that the book lists as £110, so it depends how much people want it!

Personally, I've got loads of KLF records that are worth loads, but I don't wanna sell em!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

KLF
Mar 01, 2003, 12:16
All my valuables are KLF records. All picked up very cheaply too. Got stuff like the only 500 copies and only released in Scotland 12" and white labels and stuff. When I lived in Dundee, there was a second hand shop that just kept filling up with them.

Also, got the Hank Williams III & Assjack single "Life Of Sin" which recently went for £50 on eBay.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Mar 01, 2003, 13:34
I've got a radio promo of "Bootleg Him" by Alexis Korner - no idea how much it's worth but the stock version is listed at 75 quid so presumably quite a lot. Cost me a quid.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index