best live gig ever, ever!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elderford
482 posts

best live gig ever, ever!
Feb 10, 2003, 22:16
share your thoughts please.

TOTAL EXPERIENCE CATEGORY
mine i believe was glastonbury 86 (first time for me), which is a festival not a gig, i was young, took acid for the first time (because Hendrix had), went on a death trip and spent the whole weekend fucked up (i was 16), roming around at dawn with someone trying to sell me their blood. it felt like the ideal society at the time.

MOST CATHARTIC MOMENT
Velvet Underground reunion at Wembley Arena, we were in the bar and we heard the audience cheer and as we walked in there were the Velvets performing "we're gonna have a real good time together".

THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT CATEGORY
Original Damned tour (bristol) 198whenever supported by 999, just felt so good.

LIVING LEGEND CATEGORY
Chuck Berry (w'ton 92?) he was so out of tune with the backing band, but his force of personality made it seem the band were off key. He came across as this is work not fun.

LET'S RELAX CATEGORY
Cope when he did the 3hrs with cope tour, just came on at 7.30 and told us all to calm down as it was gonna be long set. no pressure, no worry about missing anything, we just chilled out at the back and drifted in and out.

WHA?
Add N to (X) supporting Supergrass, blew me away, confrontational, you either loved it or went to the bar. first time i saw someone playing a theremin. didn't know they were on the bill, i was just so impressed at the sonic sound attack, this was how electronic music should sound, my girlfriend thought i was having a fit i was that animated.

KILL ME NOW THE MOMENT IS PERFECT
The first time i saw the Ramones. that whole thing about "reducing music to the head of pin without any loss of definition".
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: best live gig ever, ever!
Feb 10, 2003, 22:43
View changing:
Bunked off school to go to Birmingham on the 'Correct Use of Soap' tour. Support should have been Manicured Noise who had a brilliant single out calles 'Faith'. They'd split! Sat in the support band's dressing room and a band called Bauhaus arrive. Leg warmers and Afgan scarves! A bit too art school. Go out to see third on the bill, then back into dressing room. Singer's in white underpants painting his face and chest white! Guitarist, who badly needs a haircut, is fixing his own make-up! Drummer talks to me and my mate but is pulled away but the twat with the Timmy Mallett glasses! Go out to see them and they are fucking awesome! They hype the crowd up to a virtual riot. Murphy spits, and swings his mike stand down on the boneheads! Remember 'Bela Lugosi...' as soon as I hear it. Less than twenty minutes before they flee the stage. Can't get backstage! Barricaded. Magazine play. They're in their everyday clothes. Adamson breaks a string during 'Shot By Both Sides' but still plays it funky. Bauhaus are all we talk about afterwards. I'm in big trouble at home, but it's worth it! Had thought that it was just about the music before I saw Bauhaus. Came away thinking that there's no reason why it can't be more than a show!

For love:
Gavin Friday
at the Manchester School of Music.
Him, The Man Seezer on piano, a girl playing bass or clarinet, and the most beautiful woman in the world playing cello. Small rose tattoo on her cleavage. Black cycling shorts underneath a diaphanous black lace skirt. Black, lace-up Victorian boots.Long red hair tied back, but falling loose! Gavin gave a fantastic soundtrack to fall in love to.

Sheer enjoyment:
Cope at Wolverhampton in '95. Three solid hours of him performing. I was off my head with no narcotics involved! Awesome entertainment.

Seen some brilliant bands over the years. Too many moments to list...
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Feb 10, 2003, 23:25
TOTAL EXPERIENCE CATEGORY
Totally Stoned Out of Your Head all dayer at Queen Mary College, Magic Musgroom Band on a wole host of mushrooms - what a session, took us about two hours wandering to get back to Victoria station - laugh, we creased up the entire way

MOST CATHARTIC MOMENT
Treworgey Tree Fayre/Elephant Fayre - tripping me head off in me tent reading encyclopedia psychedelica and over the ether come Hawkwind Master Of The Universe zombie like trail through the site to the stage and mad kinda detached dancing throught the set, then back to then tents and meeting all these amazing people all so synchronous and stuff wow

THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT CATEGORY
AfroCelts at the Fleadh with the kids in tow

LIVING LEGEND CATEGORY
Shane MacGowan St Patricks Day loadsa Guiness and mates all singing the big mans words as we wander off to find a lock in after and awesome performance

LET'S RELAX CATEGORY
Glasto 86 - The Cure and Sinead and loadsa Irish people who I was working with on a farm that summer and the Irish doing so well in the world cup

WHA?
Torpedo Town - too out of it for too much of the whole time, strong tainted acid and special brew no money for food walking too far trying to keep up with (imbibe/ingestion wise) mad people who I couldn't and no sleep 'cos all the vehicles around didn't shut down their noise the entire weekend - home of infamous sausagemeat men episode

KILL ME NOW THE MOMENT IS PERFECT
Not yet .. one day maybe
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Feb 10, 2003, 23:28
Saw Prince on the LoveSexy tour while on mushrooms. He took so long to come on, I'd already been dancing for an hour before the show even started!
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Feb 10, 2003, 23:32
hehehehahahahehehehehe

what a picture!
Killer
255 posts

Feb 11, 2003, 23:02
Far too many to remember them all, but some off the real highlights and most of them seem to be around 1987, but I did go to 3 or 4 gigs a week back then.

Glastonbury 87 - Right down the front, sqaushed against the barrier for Cope & New Order

87 - Clarendon ballroom - Awesome line up, The Wolfhounds, Mighty Lemon Drops & That Petrol Emotion. & the early TPE gigs at the George Robey were fantastic.

86 ? The Cure @ Camden Palace, Unbelievbly crowded, just remenber falling down all over the place.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 11, 2003, 23:19
Standouts include..
All the Glasto's I've been to 'cos it's just magic

Underworld last November, Manc Apollo. Totally gobsmackingly awesome. 4th and best time I've seen 'em. Maybe the best gig I've seen.

Courtney Pine & various commenwealth musicians at the Friendship concert @Bridgwater Hall last year.
Superb cross cultural feel good evening of ace muscianship and funky vibes.

KISS - 96.97 reunion/back in makeup with original members tour at MEN arena. Seen Kiss before but not like this, as they should be. Total escapist blow-the-place-up rock n roll spectacle. Was a dream come true for me.

Afro Celt Soundsystem couple of years ago at Manchester Uni. Always good live but on top form this gig.

Stop Sellafield gig about 91/92 feat. U2, BAD, Public Enemy and Kraftwerk. Eclectic bill that worked cool.

Hanoi Rocks- Camden Electric Ballroom about 86ish
Raw sleazy rock n roll.

Nebula - Manc Uni last year. Top psychestoner rock night.

Cope on the 20 Mothers tour at Manc Academy. 3 hours of full on copeulation.

Loads more but these came to mind first.
Unsung Forum Index