Songs that overwhelm ina gooey way

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Re: Songs that overwhelm ina gooey way
Feb 07, 2003, 15:53
I am so gooey. I could name any number of songs in both English and Spanish, but the one that comes immediately to my mind is Led Zeppelin's All My Love. One of Robert Plant's most heartfelt vocals redeems anything else about the song that might otherwise seem maudlin. I wish this had been In Through The Out Door's closing track instead of I'm Gonna Crawl.

xxoo
'patra
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 15:58
we had Lily (from the Red Shoes) on last night...always brings a lump to my throat - one powerful song. A true ritualistic element to it too. Overwhelms in not only (a) a gooey way but also (b) a magical way. Good on yer Kate!
242 posts

Feb 08, 2003, 01:42
Brian Eno - Ascent
Jimmy Scott - Sycamore tree off Twin Peaks soundtrack
Ian Brown - F.E.A.R, Dolphins were Monkeys, Golden gaze
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
The Cure - To wish Impossible Things, A Forest live off Show

The most emotional songs that I can relate to are that one off Ladies and Gentleman... got a broken heart is it? and that one off 20 mothers when Julian sounds on the verge of a nervous breakdown "give me 2 out of ten and I'll blah de blah de blah)". That's probably not a warm gooey though is it? Well I find them very cathartic when I'm feeling down.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Englands Glory
Feb 08, 2003, 11:00
Named after a box of matches. Reasonable album, though it lacks the power/maturity/range of The Only Ones.
Perrett's biography is an interesting read. He comes across as a complete cee-yew-en-tee! Sends his heavily pregnant wife (who's previously miscarried) on a drugs run abroad 'cos he doesn't want to risk getting caught himself! Really un-romanticises the drugs culture.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Englands Glory
Feb 08, 2003, 20:14
I'm not as huge with them as my mate. I was just thinking I might have something to send you (which you'd like ;D)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Englands Glory
Feb 09, 2003, 17:19
Agreed. I auditioned for his early 90s band, The One (which I didn't expect to get, and didn't) but it was worth doing it just to meet him. He implicitly much admitted that he had been a total self-centred arse throughout the 80s, but I suppose that's hardcore drug addiction for you - the smack comes before everything else, including family. Sad.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

How could I have forgotten this one?
Feb 09, 2003, 17:22
"Down River" by David Ackles. One of the saddest and most powerful songs I've ever heard. It's about a guy who's in prison, where his ex-girlfriend comes to visit him, and he's lonely as hell, hasn't been with a woman for three years and still fancies the pants off her. Turns out she's shacked up with one of his old schoolfirends, but he's still so lonely and so much in love with her he can't help but forgive. Even the fact that Phil Collins loves this song isn't enough to put me off. Must review the album this comes from for Unsung soon as it is a genuinely under-rated gem.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index