Unsung Forum »
Wire

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Wire
Feb 05, 2003, 13:14
Know of them, been intrigued by them, but had never gotten around to hearing any of their music until last night, when I played a CD Howden sent me with the songs he played more than any others in 2002. There were lots of great tunes, but the absolute standout, to me, was a Wire song titled The Agfers Of Kodack. Here's my questions:

What album is this song from and is the whole album as good?

What are their best albums, and which one is the best to start with?

xxoo
'patra
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Wire
Feb 05, 2003, 13:31
The track is from a CD called "Read and Burn 01". The best are the first three albums - "Pink Flag", "Chairs Missing" and "154", which if you look , can also be found together in a set. I also recommend a later album "A Bell Is A Cup Until It Is Struck".

Tread warily with the solo stuff, however - it is of extremely variable quality!
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 16:36
Ditto all the above, but there's a fairly cheap compilation of some of the best early tunes from all three CD's (Pink Flag, 154 and Chairs Missing) called 'On Returning (1977-79)' .
Also there's a 'demos and alternative versions' CD called 'Behind The Curtain (Early Versions 1977-78) which has some excellent 'in progress' versions of songs . And The Peel Sessions mini CD is great as well. All of these are early Wire releases, but next best is 'Read And Burn 01+02', which are from the last year or so. There's supposed to be an 03 as well, though not sure if this is out yet, or if I've missed it : (
Hope This Helps.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 19:00
Some mp3s to whet your appetite are available at;

http://www.brainwashed.com/wire/index.html

Pleased you like the disc.

H.
:0)
Howden
Howden
216 posts

And you can try...
Feb 05, 2003, 19:12
http://www.stereosociety.com/pinkflag.html

The producer, Mike Thorn, gives his account of the first three (essential) Wire albums. Worth a read, with some downloads.

You could also try...

www.pinkflag.com

There's a new recording of '12XU' for download!
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: And you can try...
Feb 05, 2003, 20:10
I was just going to add that pinkflag link,Howden...it's a good one w/downloads of a couple song from each of the recent Read &Burn cds

here it is w/do-dah attached..

http://www.pinkflag.com

(and Cheers for the taste of it coming my may,TeeP
..I loved what I heard at the site,but the cost/length has held me off)
Really love the band though,and echo everyone on the first 3..you can usually find some of the others in the cut out,and you never know what may connect with you Wire-wise

Judging by some of your other expressed tastes,you might actually like some of the mid period Wire stuff,Kleo,and it can often by found on the cheap

(As an aside..when I first read your name,Kleo,a week or so back,before I recognized it for it Pete Burns ref,I read it sounding like
"Knuckles O'Patra"..thought it was some obscure Irish gangster '-) )
...anyway...................
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Feb 05, 2003, 20:16
>>Tread warily with the solo stuff, however - it is of extremely variable quality!

True,though I like some of Colin Newman's solo work,in particular A-Z and Commercial Suicide

Have a few tapes of Gilbert's ambient work,which is ok.a bit spooky sometimes actually,but I'm not really familar with many of the other sideprojects

Heard some He said( one of Lewis' things),but it's been years..
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

compilations
Feb 05, 2003, 22:22
In addition to ON RETURNING, which compiles tracks from the 70s, there's another compilation of later stuff from the 80s, THE A LIST. Lots of gems on that one too (though you might think it's a totally different band).
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 16:16
Thank you all. I'll try the websites later this weekend. I've also exchanged e-mails with Telepathine about getting copies of some of the early stuff. And I'm intrigued by Severin's suggestion of the mid-period work. I'll be going to the CD and record stores this weekend, see what I turn up.

xxoo
'patra
Unsung Forum Index