Nick Drake.

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Nick Drake.
Jan 25, 2003, 14:40
Like they say, start with 5 leaves left, which has orchestral backing arranged by Richard Kirby (somebody used him recently, but I can't remember who - any takers) and features Richard and Danny Thompson.

Bryter Layter has some upbeat stuff on it!, it's the next place to stop.also featurees Richard thompson and JohnCale. One of the stand out tracks here is Northern Sky - a beautiful song, and many people's fave.

End up by saving his best (IMHO) till last - Pink Moon. It is far bleaker and apparently nearly got lost because by the time he finished it, he was so depressed he left it at the record company witrhout telling anybody.

Time Of No Reply is a retrospective of home recordings and demos. It is also essential as it contains at least two of his best (IMHO again) in I was made to love magic and Black Eyed Dog.

Way too Blue is a good comilation if you don't want to dive in all the way.

The remasters are very tasteful, I only bought Pink Moon because I've already got the Fruit tree Box.

Nick has been an influence on many peoples work, dare I mention the name Weller here? Wild Wood is definitely directly influenced.

He was a mournful soul though, so those of a depressive nature may find his music brings them down. He was as the cliche goes - "a unique talent" only this time it is true.

I think that it was Stevo who mentioned "Solid Air" Definitely get that if you find you like Nick's stuff, it is an excellent album.

Moey

Oh yes, and his sister Gabrielle Drake used to be in (the original) Crossroads - so what more recommendation do you need.

Drop me an email.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index