Register
Unsung Forum »
People's record collections

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
242 posts

Re: People's record collections
Jan 21, 2003, 23:54
Hey Joolio. Names that keep cropping up that I am intregued by include : Ashra Tempel, Amon Duhl 2, Hawkwind and Gong. Love to know what they sound like and would be eternally grateful if anyone could send me any of that. Also the country joe and the fish's 1st album - can't remember title - something to do with music of the mind?
I am by no means completely retro, but am of the opinion that the best period of music was from 65-78. A bit arbitrary, I know, but loads of my fav albumsare from that period - from Led Zep, Brian Eno, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, Can, Faust, Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart, David Bowie etc.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 14:49
Hmm. Have over 500 CDs so that would be a lengthy endeavour indeed. Suffice to say, the first LP I bought was "Led Zeppelin III" amd the most recent one was Zabrinski's "Koala Co-Ordination".
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 20:50
I can't access my collection for a while, so I'm going to just list a few items that spring to mind (and that nobody else here has mentioned yet):

The whole Kluster/Cluster/Harmonia axis. Heck, Kraftwerk was more influential, but if you want to look for proto-electronica, this is the place to find it, with everything from mantric industrial klang (Kluster) through the dark ambience of the first two Cluster albums to their melodic period. I once played some of Cluster's third album, "Zuckerzeit", for a friend and he said that if I had told him it was Mouse On Mars he would have believed it. And everyone should hear the debut Harmonia album, especially the tracks "Veterano" and "Sonnenschein"; there's a reason Eno said that Harmonia was making the world's most important rock music! (That's from 1973.)

Also of note is the reissue of Conrad Schnitzler's "Blau" (1974). The bonus tracks are especially visionary if actually from the same period, as I've seen claimed. I played one of them for some of the station's eletronica DJ's and they were stunned that it came from the 1970's. (I should mention that the tracks are actually quite good, not just visionary, with tribal rhythms in a futuristic but somewhat dubby atmosphere.)

Other mentions go to a few albums that I never see anyone else discuss: Tomorrow's Gift's "Goodbye Future" (1972) and Berrocal/Coster/Ferlet's "Musiq Musik" (1973).

I'm glad someone mentioned the "Canaxis" (1968) album (originally attributed to the Technial Space Composers' Crew, but to Holger Czukay and Rolf Dammers in the reissue). It's a really awesome melange of sampled ethnic music (and classical) with electronic treatments.

Otherwise, my list would include most of the kraut stuff others have mentioned (though not La Dusseldorf) and also include Soft Machine, Magma, Miles Davis, etc.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 21:11
Ooh, how could I forget My Bloody Valentine (everything after 1987)? Especially "Loveless", with pop tunes turned visceral through meticulous elaborations of noise.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 23:15
Country Joe & The Fish - "Electric Music for Mind & Body". I love this album, but especially the closing track, "Grace"; if you like that track too, you would probably love Ash Ra Tempel. (I'm a sucker for those pings that Pink Floyd used to make sending a piano through a Lesley speaker.)
The acid-cum-mediaeval folk of "Porpoise Mouth" makes it another great track.

If you want to try Ash Ra Tempel and Amon Düül II, go for "Schwingungen" and "Yeti", respectively, first.
tyke
2 posts

Jan 23, 2003, 02:37
Without the influence of Psychocandy I'm sure M. B. V. would be less interesting! My stuff goes from about '62 until recently. The Liars album is my most recent acquisition and I'm really enjoying it!. I've just got hold of some of The Eighties Matchbox B - Line Disaster stuff and they are amazing. Just when I think that there's nothing new out there worth buying something interesting pops up!
P.S. The Jesus And Mary Chain Psychocandy album is the ONLY! record that everyone should possess!
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Jan 23, 2003, 23:20
Without a doubt, MBV would not have become as interesting without the influence of "Psychocandy", but the latter's noise is not crafted in nearly so much detail.

I concede though that "Psychocandy" should make my list, too.

Terry Riley's 1960's stuff should as well, from "In C" to "A Rainbow in Curved Air" and especially to the Organ of Corti "Terry Riley Archive Series" material. MBV fans should hear volume 4 of the latter, a forty minute excerpt from one Terry Riley's all night long concerts, using echoplex to massively layer organ and soprano sax into one dense twisting, turning, and throbbing organism.
direwolf
92 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 18:35
All these posts have mentioned very cool and influential stuff, but one great band that influenced a lot of other groups and is never given any notice would have to be The Cramps! I've got hundreds of LP's and CD's and boxes of bootleg tapes of different stuff, but my going on 20 year old copies of "Songs the Lord Taught Us" and "Psychedelic Jungle" still get a played quite often.
dizzyfarie
152 posts

eat static
Jan 26, 2003, 02:05
all tres good suggestions, you dont hang with a load of 14-26-ish year olds in wallasey do you because everything you mentioned is in our standard record collections, can i also applaud you for mentioning eat static, i take pride in having introduced mi fiends into th wonder that is after i saw them in womad, 2000 (i think, some time ago anyway) and i'm very impressed that you know them too, as they're quite veri illusive and it's pretti hard hard to get their stuff, which is your fave album?i heart crash and burn!love dizzy xXx
direwolf
92 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 04:30
Hey Maldoror... I have heard other intellectual types name drop the Art Bears and am very interested. What kinda music are they (any close comparison?) And what lp's should a neubie look for?
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index