People's record collections

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: People's record collections
Jan 20, 2003, 13:41
At last count I've got 62 Hawkwind albums, if that's any help.
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 22:02
Jim Shepard - Evil Love Deeper

Slint - Spiderland

Mainliner - Mellow Out (although i love the others too)

Trumans Water - Spasm Smash

TpS
242 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 01:31
that's the spirit, maldoror. Then I can go "Gong eh, you know I've always wanted to get into them but never got round to it. What's the one with some kind a waltz song on it, I have got that". I can also say "so you never got into dave gilmour's Pink Floyd eh? Well their 70's output was alright up to the wall imo" and various other things. One last go for this is the fun I imagined it to be "So you like Soft Machine eh? Did you ever get into Kevin Ayers or Robert Wyatt?" And so it goes on....
242 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 01:32
f me, that's as prolific as Frank Zappa. I always link Gong and Hawkwind for some reason, any ideas why I do this?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 03:15
ummm... not sure if this is the kind of thing you were asking for, or indeed how much of this is strictly "Unsung", but to summarise my collection...

near complete of:

David Bowie (minus the 80s)
The Beatles (everything)
John Lennon (still a couple of holes to fill)
Björk (everything, i think)
Prince (til about '94)
The The (everything)
Patti Smith (except last album - not got round to it yet)
David Byrne (everything)
Talking Heads (everything)
Syd Barrett (all the official cd releases)
Brian Eno (everything practical)
Nick Cave (missing a couple of albums - loaned out but never returned)
The Cure (probably missed a late release or two)
Dreadzone (everything)
Beck (still haven't got the recent one)
World Party (everything; though my copy of Private Revolution seems to have disappeared)
Radiohead (think i could be missing an early album)
Jane's Addiction / Perry Farrell (everything)
REM (missing some early stuff)
Spiritualized (everything)
Bob Geldof / Boomtown Rats (everything)
Woob / Journeyman (everything)

also featuring heavily:

Legendary Pink Dots (they put out too much to get completist about it; have maybe 10-12 albums and there's plenty more where they came from)
Ozric Tentacles (a few)
Julian Cope (most)
Joy Division (probably have everything on various compilations)
Tim Buckley (ditto)
Bob Dylan (and again)
The Smiths (missing a couple of essential albums - never updated from cassette)
Atari Teenage Riot (3 albums)
U2 (most)
Simon & Garfunkel (two fairly comprehensive "best of" collections which don't cross over too much, means i have most of what i need)
Nurse With Wound (4 albums)
Siouxsie & The Banshees (most + Creatures stuff too)
Wu-Tang Clan (3 albums)
Ministry (most)
The Beach Boys (compilations, bootlegs and pet sounds)
Bob Marley (a smattering)
Tricky (most)
Lou Reed (most)
Christy Moore (a smattering)
Michael Franti / Spearhead (most)

oh, and lots lots more besides... Miles Davis and Gil Evans provide forays into jazz; plenty of traditional Unsung fodder in the form of Can, Faust, early Floyd, Hawkwind, et al. Also revealed is an unsettling weakness for Billy Joel, a fondness for ambient music compilations, and a passion for Brazillian music (particularly anything with a samba beat).

Sorry for waffling... just got caught up in the sad pleasure of list-making (and have doubtlessly left plenty out, but will resist the urge to add addenda)
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Linking Gong and Hawkwind
Jan 21, 2003, 09:15
Maybe because they're both gangs of hairy acid casualties? Oh, and Tim Blake from Gong features on Hawkwind's Live 79, Complete 79, Night of the Hawk, Yule Ritual and Levitation. And Xitintoday by Sphinx featuring Hawkwind's Nik Turner. I'll stop now ;)
Serotonin
175 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 09:49
Aside from countless copied CDRs and tapes, my core CD collection is pretty compact these days, I think. About a year or so ago I started to trade in some of the chaff for more urgently needed wheat. So at present, thinking of the entire lot from left (bedroom door) to right (CD player and
bed) the whole lot goes something like:

Far left, 1st column: Van Der Graaf Generator, Peter Hammill, Robert Wyatt, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen.

2nd column: Television, Big Star, Echo/Bunnymen, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana.

3rd column: Neil Young's back catalogue (gave up after Silver & Gold though, and only have Trans from Geffen era), few Dylans, CSNY and pick of related solo albums

4th column: Pink Floyd from Saucerful to Animals, Husker Du's back catalogue, Ramones 1st album, Metal Machine Music, Violent Femmes 1st album

underneath all racks in a cabinet: odd albums from Yes, Genesis, Bowie, classical stuff (mainly Debussy & Gorecki), Sly & Family Stone, Primal Scream, Ben Folds Five, Beatles & solo stuff, Love, Byrds, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro, Eno's ambient stuff esp. with Harold Budd, Stereolab, my own band's various demos & live recordings.

The Special Shelf (prime position nearest my bed and CD player.) The Stuff That Really Matters. Kraftwerk, Neu, La Dusseldorf, Faust, Can, Czukay's Canaxis, Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru, Amon Duul ii, Ashra (Tempel), Throbbing Gristle, Nurse With Wound, Coil.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 11:51
You are right, 23; and I am also right, too :-)
That is Art: subjectivity.
242 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 23:31
That's cool grufty Jim. One of the favourite things I like to do when I'm in someone elses' house is to inspect their record collection. I suppose this is just another way of doing it.
When you see a quite a few similarities with your own collection, then you can start to wonder whether the stuff you haven't heard of or got in their collection is worth exploring. Or so I think
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 23:39
Hiya
Ok here goes :-
Led Zeppelin, DeepPurple (and spin off bands)Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Cream, Nick Drake, The Doors, JulianCope, Sly and the Family Stone, The Meters, Funkadelic, The Isley Bros, The Temptations, Curtis Mayfield, AC/DC, Baby Bird, Portishead, Paul Weller, Ashra Tempel, Amon Duhl 2, Hawkwind, Gong, Caravan, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin,Big Brother and the Holding Co.The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Small Faces, Cosby Stills Nash and Young and various spin offs and many more
Joolio
Still raining, still dreaming
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index