Joy Of A Toy with added Syd!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Joy Of A Toy with added Syd!
Jan 16, 2003, 19:39
According to this month's 'Mojo', a remastered 'Joy Of A Toy' is on its way from EMI, bolstered by the not inconsiderable bonus of the long lost Kevin Ayers' classic 'Religious Experience', later renamed 'Singing A Song In The Morning' and released as a single. The version included on the new CD, however, is unreleased and includes a certain Mr Barrett on lead guitar.

The re-release of such a classic album is an excuse for a party in itself. Add the mighty Madcap and a national holiday is justified.

Hubba, hubba...and indeed HUBBA.
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Joy Of A Toy with added Syd!
Jan 16, 2003, 20:10
Oooooooooooh might just have to check that one out dude!

I remember all the talk around here last year about Joy Of a Toy, and what a perfect oportunity for me to get it :-P

Thanks

steve :)
elderford
482 posts

Re: lost
Jan 16, 2003, 21:15
what i'd like to hear is Kev's demo of the album performed entirely on toy instruments.

but alas it is lost.
242 posts

Barrett's Peel Sessions
Jan 17, 2003, 00:32
I seem to remember that I have this on tape, and that it has 'Two of a kind' on it which isn't on any of his albums.

I'm a bit confused; are you saying that joy of a toy is a rereleased Kevin Ayers album or is done by Syd? Or just that a version of that song has syd on guitar on a mojo cd?

is all

The Seth Man
1242 posts

Oh, Joy...!
Jan 17, 2003, 06:56
Fitter,
I love Syd Barrett, so ta for the heads up...I've been waiting for FAR too long for this...(see below):

"Religious Experience"
Posted 18.01.02ce 18:53:11

...was it's working title
But you know: there are 3 versions I've heard besides the "Odd Dittites" one, and I can't hear Syd in ANY of them. I think on at least one of those boots, they just remixed the track to masquerade it as an "alternate take"The Emi-Disc acetate is probably the only place where Barrett does apparently show up (either on backing vox or guitar, I don't really recall).There are so many unconfirmed Barrett appearances and reports...like on 2 tracks on Ayers' "Joy of A Toy", which are just speculation tinged with a hint of wishful thinkingSome bootlegs in the past have been so unreliable and misleading in the past as to Barrett-related material, due to the absolute dearth of it (pre-box set, that is).

That Ayers Collaboration in full
Posted 26.01.02ce 03:06:38

"In (1969)...it is widely believed that Syd collaborated with Kevin Ayers on a song called "Religious Experience" and there exists a 10" EMIDISC acetate which allegedly includes Barrett on guitar and vocals.However, when the song finally appeared officially as a single, retitled "Singing A Song In The Morning", his contribution was effectively mixed out. The song later appeared on Kevin's "Odd Ditties" compilation. It is also rumoured that the voice at the start of "Oleh Oleh Bandung" on Ayers' "Joy Of A Toy" album is Syd's but this is unconfirmed.Kevin Ayers' "Bananamour" LP included "O Wot A Dream", a tribute to Syd, and original copies came with a booklet including a Barrett photo."-Record Collector (circa 1988) "Pink Floyd And Syd Barrett" by Mark Paytress.So there you are...I still haven't been convinced by either of the 2 versions I've heard on bootlegs. Many of them ("Magnesium Proverbs" and "Unforgotten Hero" the rarest of exceptions) are filled with fakes -- "Tattooed" is certainly one of them.

PS: I love Syd Barrett's music. Honest.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Two of a Kind
Jan 17, 2003, 10:39
...is credited to Rick Wright on the 12" of the Peel session, so that would explain why it's not on Syd's albums, maybe they just decided to play it on the day. Certainly there's no record of any takes of it during the sessions for his EMI albums.

Oh, and "Joy of a Toy" is a Kevin Ayers album, Kevin was a good pal of Syd's, the bonus track "Religious Experience"features Syd on rhythm guitar, and as the Seth man points out below there have been numerous appearances of "Singing a Song in the Morning" on bootlegs purporting to be the one with Syd on, but apparently none of them are.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Oh, Joy...!
Jan 17, 2003, 13:31
Just out of interest, is that Lennon/Harrison/Ono outtake "What's The New Mary Jane", which purports to have Syd on it but doesn't, still doing the rounds on early Floyd bootlegs? Seem to remember that was a perennial staple for a while.

I also have a CD that claims to include Syd's aborted 1974 session, but I'm not entirely convinced that's genuine either.

Now, I've found this Jack The Ripper diary I'd like to sell...
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

1974 Sessions
Jan 17, 2003, 14:22
Which CD would that be? I know of about 6 instrumental fragments doing the rounds (2 or 3 of which could qualify as "songs" if you were feeling generous ;)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Barrett's Peel Sessions
Jan 17, 2003, 21:40
No there is a new version of the lp forthcoming opn cd including the Syd barret track which has just been rediscovered somewhere.
Was that in an unmarked box or am I thinking about something I read about some of the tracks on the Shirley Collins box set?
just bought both Mojo and UNcut 2 nights back , not really meaning to read them since I've got loads of books to read for college.
Just got my history results from last term which are better than I thunk but still not as excellent as they could be 2B+ and a B-.
Gwan havta pull my finga out this term.
Stevo
Np Kinks WAterloo Sunset
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Re: Oh, Joy...!
Jan 18, 2003, 10:26
lol.........Mythology is a fickle Luver.
SydslongLostLuvchIld*
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index