Fleetwood Mac - Mirage

Bee Gees - A Kick In The Head Is Worth Eight In The Pants
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 April 2024 CE
Apr 07, 2024, 09:09
Not necessarily stoned… but beautiful:

Lou Reed ‘Sally Can’t Dance’ - time has been kinder to this album than the overrated ‘Berlin’ IMHO. I know I’m in a minority thinking that, but I knaa worra like, y,knaa;

Simon McBride ‘The Fighter’ - Deep Purple’s fourth official axeman has some serious solo chops, as this 2022 album exemplifies. He’s a decent singer too;

Judas Priest ‘Invincible Shield’ - so formulaic it could’ve been made by AI but… sheeat, this is red hot metal at its best: one steamroller riff after another. I can’t believe a 72 year old could wail like this;

Ride ‘Interplay’ - AI indie pop this time, from a band sounding eternally young. Little really stands out, but maybe that’s the intention;

The Jesus and Mary Chain ‘Glasgow Eyes’ - sorry to admit that I’m finding this a little hard work too. There are some very tired riffs going down here and an over-reliance on a clunky rhythm machine. I much preferred ‘Damage and Joy’. And is Jim Reid turning into Mark Everett? On a couple of songs they sound identical to each other;

Traffic ‘Last Exit’ - scrabbled together collection of outtakes and live recordings that gets scant attention but actually makes for a highly satisfying listen;

Kiss ‘Creature of the Night’ - not Kiss’ finest hour, alas. Dull. I much prefer their 70s hard rock era to their post-70s metal one. In other words, no Ace - no deal;

Elton John ‘Honky Chateau’ - Elton’s first true rock album (as distinct from the subtler epics that preceded it) has dated not a jot. In fact, I think it’s overtaken ‘Madman’ as my top Elton opus. The 2022 deluxe edition adds some choice demo and live recordings to make an irresistible deal;

The Jimi Hendrix Experience ‘Are You Experienced?’ - I’ve took this near-perfect album too easily for granted. It just blew my mind this week;

Caravan ‘In the Land of Grey and Pink’ - y’know, until this week I don’t think I’d played this for ten years or more, despite it being part of my very psyche. More fool me. Canterbury cup of tea perfection;

The Wedding Present ‘24 Songs’ - I’ve caught up with this too late to count it as a favourite album/collection of the year, whatever. Suffice to say I sense genius at work here. David Gedge has long since assumed - maybe even surpassed - Pete Shelley’s throne in the punky love/lust song stakes;

Tangerine Dream ‘White Eagle’ - strange how the commercial sounding TD of the 1980s has dated more than their experimental work of the previous decade. Not that ‘White Eagle’ is bad - far from it. It’s just that it sounds like a completely different band, as if they themselves have taken from the synthi-pop acts that emerged in their own wake;

David Bowie ‘Pinups’ - the first Bowie LP I ever bought new mightn’t be his most lauded but it’s great to hear The Spiders (sans Woody - why?) sounding as vibrant in their studio swan song. And some of these covers are quite decent;

Don Byas ‘Classic Don Byas Sessions 1944-1946’ - more sublimely sensual sax from the underrated Byas;

Beethoven: 3 Violin Sonatas, Op.12 (Gidon Kremer & Martha Argerich) - the sort of performances that I can’t imagine ever being improved upon. Music to ease depression. I know;

Beethoven: Symphony no.2/Gershwin: An American In Paris (Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - more D major Beethoven, performed with suitable joy and panache. I didn’t enjoy the Gershwin as much, but that’s probably due more to the music than the interpretation. The Tchaikovsky is good but not great;

Wagner: Meistersinger Ov/Brahms: Double Concerto (w.Fournier & Francescatti)/Bruckner: Symphony no.9 (all Columbia SO/Bruno Walter) - Walter’s studio indian summer produced consistently fine recordings such as these. Distinctive, but never wayward;

Haydn: String Quartet Op.20 no.5 (Chaos String Quartet) - I had to hear what a quartet named after a 4 Skins song (I jest) sounded like. This is from their first, newly issued album that couples Haydn with Ligeti and Fanny Mendelssohn: a curiosity in itself. I don’t so much hear chaos as excellent musicianship, and a depth that belies the members’ youth;

Isn’t it nice when you find your heart is made out of ice?

Have a great week

Dave x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Apr 07, 2024, 10:31
Josienne Clarke- Parenthesis, I
Scott Hepple & The Sun Band- Lammas
Woo- Xylophonics / Robot X
Julie Christmas- Ridiculous And Full Of Blood
Picturebox- Mobile Disco
Aro- Untouched By Fire
Masai- The Galloping Cat

Depeche Mode- Violator
Iggy & The Stooges- Original Punks
Barry Ryan- The Albums 1969-1979
Boz Scaggs- S/T
Boz Scaggs- Moments
Boz Scaggs- Boz Scaggs and Band
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Apr 07, 2024, 11:23
Morning! A somewhat more eclectic mix this week:

V/A - Pushin' Too Hard: American Garage Punk 1964-1967
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

The Saints - (I'm Stranded)
The Damned - Music For Pleasure
Tubeway Army - The Plan
Tubeway Army - Tubeway Army

Berlin Blondes - The Complete Recordings 1980-1981
Dexys Midnight Runners - The Projected Passion Review
John Foxx - The Garden
Crispy Ambulance - Fin
The Fall - There's A Ghost In My House 12"
New Order - Substance

808 State feat. Bjork - Ooops 12"
The Durutti Column - Time Was Gigantic ... When We Were Kids
The Spratleys Japs - Pony

The Durutti Column - Treatise On The Steppenwolf
Epic45 - Drakelow
Fujiya Miyagi - Transparent Things

James Holden & The Spirit Animals - The Spirit Animals
The Home Current - The Singles 2015-2019

Manfred Hamil - Everything Fades
Lying Cat - A Pleasant And Profound Hand Into A Peaceful Death
Sad Man & Francis Lowe - Stories From An Island
James Holden - Imagine This Is A High Dimensional Space Of All Possibilities
Depeche Mode - Memento Mori
The Home Current - Born Sloppy
Respectfulchild - Re:new
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Apr 07, 2024, 13:25
Apr 07, 2024, 12:38
Greetings! A rare contribution from me this! I’m procrastinating see, so finding things to do, instead of trying to resolve something on a painting a few feet away from me.

Among this week’s musical intake, I actually went to two gigs, in Wolverhampton.

1) The Hives supported by (a spunky new act to me) Bad Nerves. An insanely crowed venue - Both bands played full pelt, rock solid music.

2) Hawkwind, supported by (spin-off band) Lords Of Form. The best I’ve seen Hawkwind in many a decade - and this is quite possibly their last full tour, surely. Dave Brock was absent from the stage for their final encore, I noticed. Another thing I noticed was (comedian and Gingko favourite) Stewart Lee standing quite close to me. I slipped him a CD-R of music by my beat combo to serenade his journey home. Trouble was, having knocked it together to give to fellow HHer Vince Diamond, I’m not I actually sure I wrote who the music was by on it. Bum.

On the turntable

‘A Beard Of Stars: Tyrannosaurus Rex. This is a new acquisition, replacing a strangely rotted 70s pressing of the album by US label Blue Thumb. The heavy card and lush duotone, sepia effect sleeve I’m keeping and now using to house this 2014 remastered version. The additional out-takes disc can stay in the sleeve it came in though.

‘Coexist’: XX
Picked up in a secondhand record shop Deptford a couple of weeks ago, this one is destined to be a grower. The first whirl tells me that.

In The Shed CD player

‘Infinity Of Now’, Telemetric Sound’ and The Last Transission’: The Heliocentrics

MOJO Presents Africa Rising: Various Artists

‘The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte’: Sparks

‘Mink Hollow Road’: The Mummers

Streaming / Download (Bandcamp)

‘Contourist’: Saul Yarg / Rubber Bus

‘Battery Life’: Neil Cowley

’The Banishing’: Kavus Torabi

’The BBC Sessions’: The Utopia Strong

…right, back to work.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Apr 07, 2024, 16:38
Beautifully wild and windy out there.

Trees Speak - Post Human/Ohms/ Shadow Falls
Been a fan of these eclectic cinematic noodlers for a while now, and fav albums rotate on a regular basis, but this week I realised the thing that irked me a little about their tunes was that many sound sketchy and unfinished.

Craven Faults - Thwaite Mill
https://cravenfaults.bandcamp.com/album/thwaite-watermill
Enjoyable though not essential live release.

Coil - Moons Milk in Four Phases +
Still loving those etra trax.

Neu! - 75

Lumerians - Transmalina / Transmissions From Telos III

Butthole Surfers - Rembrant Pussy Horse/ Locust Abortion Technician/ Psychic... Powerless... Another Mans Sac
Another bunch currently undergoing the remaster/reissue process. I didn't buy anything new, just dragged out my tired old vinyl to love em' all over again.

Can - Mothersky Live Berlin 71 boot
Dare I say I find a lot of Can live stuff a bit listless, in that often, though they are playing together, I get the impression they are playing different songs. I can appreciate a little more where Holger's editing capabilty came to the fore on the studio releases.

No Moon - Black Wing
Chillwave? Meh!

The Orb - No Souds are Out Of Bounds
Patchy though mostly enjoyable Orb collabs from 2018

Various Comps

The Last Starfighter
Trib to Calvert comp that I intially didn't like/couldn't see the point of, but as it's been on my music player for over a year now, I've come to love several of the tracks muchly.

New Wave Acid Punks
Not that great comp of New Beat style shenanagans.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Apr 07, 2024, 21:52
The Advisory Circle - Other Channels / From Out Here

The Beatles - With The Beatles / A Hard Day's Night / Magical Mystery Tour / Let It Be (2021 remix)

David Bowie - Hunky Dory / The Ziggy Stardust Companion / Blackstar

Tim Buckley - Starsailor / BBC Sessions

The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man / Turn! Turn! Turn!

Crass - Feeding Of The 5000 / Penis Envy / 10 Notes On A Summer's Day

Current 93 - Earth Covers Earth / Island

Sandy Denny - The Original Sandy Denny / All Our Own Work (with The Strawbs)

Genesis - Nursery Cryme / Foxtrot

Gong - You / Live Floating Anarchy 1977

Kaleidoscope (US) - Bacon From Mars (Edsel comp)

Kraftwerk - Autobahn / Radio-Activity / Trans-Europe Express

Marillion - Market Square Heroes (12") / Script For A Jester's Tear

Neu! - S/t / '75

Poison Girls - Hex

Lou Reed - Words & Music May 1965 / Rock'n'Roll Animal

Frank Sinatra - Songs For Young Lovers / In The Wee Small Hours

Patti Smith - Trampin' / Gung Ho

Bridget St John - Songs For The Gentle Man

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman

The Stone Roses - S/t

Subhumans - Time Flies But Aeroplanes Crash / Rats

Television - Marquee Moon / Adventure

Jane Weaver - The Watchbird Alluminate / Love In Constant Spectacle

Neil Young - American Stars 'n Bars / Comes A Time / Live Rust
keith a
9574 posts

Apr 08, 2024, 13:14
Couple of weeks worth here...

S/T – Death & Vanilla
To Where The Wild Things Are – Death & Vanilla
Flicker – Death & Vanilla
The recent Flicker album has reminded me just how good D&V are. For the uninitiated there are maybe some Stereolab influences though I think describing them as a more cuddly Broadcast is more apt.

Jukebox Babe / No Fun 45 – Moon Duo
The initial delight in hearing MD take on the Stooges classic has worn off. I like that they have made it their own, but it's just that bit too slow and lethargic feeling. Their version of the Alan Vega number, however, is pretty much perfection

Lust For Life – Iggy Pop
Every Loser – Iggy Pop
Other than his two fabulous French crooning albums, Iggy's go-to to for much of the last 30 years has been neo-metal which isn't really my thing. There's always the odd track worth hearing – Strung Out Johnny in Every Loser's case – but it's unlikely that he will ever release anything as great as LFL again.

Dummy – Portishead
I hadn't heard this in some time. Roads sounded particularly good this time around.

Also...
Rubber Soul – The Beatles

Station To Station – David Bowie

Monster Movie – Can

Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought

Waiting For The Sun – The Doors

14 Hidden Gems From The Bootleg Series 1963-97 (Mojo cd) – Bob Dylan

Dub Serial – Joe Gibbs
African Dub: All-Mighty – Joe Gibbs & the Professionals

Wait Til I Get Over – Durand Jones

S/T – Manfred Mann Chapter Three

Let's Emerge – Pye Corner Audio

Between The Buttons – Rolling Stones

Every Picture Tells A Story – Rod Stewart

Colourgrade - Tirzah
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Apr 08, 2024, 13:48
keith a wrote:
Jukebox Babe / No Fun 45 – Moon Duo
The initial delight in hearing MD take on the Stooges classic has worn off. I like that they have made it their own, but it's just that bit too slow and lethargic feeling. Their version of the Alan Vega number, however, is pretty much perfection

Not sure if You're familiar with Hawkwind track 'Hurry on Sundown', not my fav Hawkwind track by a long straw, but Moon Duo did a version that is one on my top ten cover versions. They deffo turned it into a Suicide track whilst also beng totally their own take on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLNCo0tjD4

Agree on Portishead. I don't think the album can be much improved on. Though played it so much back in the day that it barely gets an airing these days.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index