Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2024, 15:10
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 March 2024 CE
Mar 31, 2024, 15:09
Yowza!

Youth meets Jah Wobble: Acid Punk Dub Apocalypse
Hmmm, never has a title been so over stated. It is neither acid, dub or any type of apocalype, in fact, considering who is involved, it's a piss weak disappoitment.

Chrome - Blue Exposure
See above. Red Exposure is one of my fav Chrome records, but this..... well the title track sounds like Slade if they'd come up with Brainstorm, minus the bellows of Noddy. Really don't bother, bit if you're curious. https://chromemusic.bandcamp.com/album/blue-exposure

Luke Haines - Setting The Dogs on the Post Punk Postman
I've a lot of time for Luke Haines, the mostly forgotten and unchampioned Indie journeymen whose records, even when new, go for laughably small amounts of cash. Generally, his recordings are laced with absurdist dark humour and spite, and like Copes' more recent efforts are fairly lo key and put a smile on my face. Saw this one in my local record emporium and thougt I'd give it a punt. Well, I should't have bothered. This one is a phoned in affair from the darkest depths of Meh! town. Avoid.

Black Box Recorder - The Facts of Life
Remember enjoying this when it came out. It hasn't aged well. There's only so much breathy sung/spoke vocalisation with perfect diction I can take these days. How the hell did this stuff get released. Another Haines downvote.

Ocsid - In Between
Bought this eons ago cheap from the Wire site as was cos' Graham Lewis was it, and I was at the height of my reinterest in Wire on the back of Read and Burn et al. Probably played it last when I was reflooring my kids bedroom, so 2005 I'm guessing. It's immemorable cobblers, and probably won't get played again for another 20 years when I have forgotten just how dull it is, and put it on again.

Coil - Moons Milk In Four Phases (Dais Reissue)
I own the orignal four Equino/Solstice CDEP's (albeit, with the Winter disc having the wrong cover cos' my local (now shut) record shop sold the right cover to someone else as the Spring Equino single (Who says rcord store staff are bright?). Anyway, bought this mostly because of the limted CDr tag on that was originally given away with the 2002 2CD reissue which I've had on, ahem, CDr from those happy days of internet sharing. Don't know if this has been remastered, or is just another reissue, but it sounds fine to me. Arguably the start of Coil MK II, With their more punishing/Kosmische/song oriented approach to musick. Top stuff, and a fraction of the cost of chasing down those original editions/reissues. If nothing else, have a listen to the Summer/Winter tracks, they area mongst some of Coil's finest releases.
https://coilofficial.bandcamp.com/album/moons-milk-in-four-phases

Julia Cope - Rite At Ya
Was reading the massive Cope recording list of releases ad reviews over on Steve Hoffmon forum which prompted digging this out. Enjoyed it for the most part.

Julian Cope - 131 OST
Some beautiful HH head put this together in MP3 form about the time of the 131 book (could have been Common Era, he was nice like that, though I'm not certain who did it) of most of the Cope 'bands' created around the book.
Daft and enjoyable in eaqual measure.

S?’?akkabad?ò?ra?-?H?è?mina - Neon Sardinia
Above lead to the full album. This is almost proto Dope in parts. Got quite a few spins this week. Top Stuff!
https://neonsardinia.bandcamp.com/track/s-akkabad-ra-h-mina-edit

Trees Speak - Shadow Falls
Berlin school arps meet post punk electronics. One of the guys contributing to this is an amazing artist of sci fi/Occult themes.... check him out .... https://www.danielmartindiaz.com/

Lumerians - Tranmalina
Loved these guys, but they seemed to fizzle out over time.

Currently reading the Electric Wizard biog. In the current trend of 'not very impressed' that seems to prevail in this weeks list, this is terrible.
It comes across as being written by some 15 year old fan boy, and in parts is just a gloryfied album track by track run through with extended 'influences' (be that films/books/comics, and the entire bloody story involved in these particulars....talk about filler). The opening chapter being a tour of Wimbourne, Dorsets very own shit hole/ arse end of nowhere ... pick your epithet. No real insight into the band above the lead guy being a bored, stoned dolester who was a bit anxious, got involved in petty crime and felt like a bit of an outsider. I love the sounds of Electric Wizard, but wish I'd not bothered with the book. Just glad I didn't buy the original hard back edition at 30 odd notes (pretty though it looks). I'm about a third of the way through, not sure I'm gonna get much further truth be told. Can't believe the author writes for the Quietus. Ho Hum

Keep Well. x

Unsung Forum Index