Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2024, 09:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 March 2024 CE
Mar 31, 2024, 09:19
Walking along just kicking stones, m-minding my own business:

Jim Capaldi ‘The Contender’ & ‘One Man Mission’ - Jim had a far more substantial solo career outside of Traffic than he’s remembered for. All of his albums have merit with decent songs and renowned musicians. These 1978 and 1984 LPs rather sank without trace but deserve a listen;

David Sylvian ‘Manafon’ - his last song-based album, though by this stage Sylvian’s “songs” were extemporised around abstract instrumental backgrounds. Could have been excruciating, but ended up exhilarating in its quiet and subdued complexity. (Sheeat - Pseuds Corner, or what?);

The Jesus & Mary Chain ‘Glasgow Eyes’ - a bit underwhelming on first listen, but I know that perseverance pays with this band;

The Wedding Present ‘24 Songs’ - the boy Gedge has still got it. I’d checked out briefly with ‘Going Going’ but this 2022 tranche of fabbo 45s has won me back. Life enhancing. Cheers Dave;

Judas Priest ‘Invincible Shield’ - oh dear: at this rate I might end up choosing a metal album as my record of the year;

Paul Stanley S/T - comfortably the best of the 1978 Kiss solo albums, because it sounds the most like Kiss. Ace’s aside, they mostly don’t;

Paul Stanley ‘Live To Win’ - his second solo effort from 2006 is far superior to anything Kiss released post ‘Psycho Circus’, to my jaded ears anyway;

Paul Weller ‘Whoosh’ EP - that Weller can casually issue outtakes as quality as these says loads for the dude’s talent;

The Police ‘Regatta de Blanc’ - there’s a lot about The Police that annoys me but the infectiousness of much of their music keeps me listening. This is my fave of their albums;

Steel Pulse ‘Handsworth Revolution’ - this might just be my fave ever reggae album, from a song based perspective anyway. And it still sounds fresh, 46 years on. (God, I loved 1978. Buzzcocks, Revolver, ale… oh for a time machine);

The Brothers Comatose ‘Kickin’ Up The Dust’ - good time bluegrass, y’all;

Pat Metheny Group ‘Travels’ - 1983 live double that I consider definitive PMG. Gently powerful, and joyous;

Don Byas ‘Classic Don Byas Sessions 1944-1946’ - up to Disc 4 now, and the artistry of this dude becomes ever more apparent. Prime mid-40s pre-bebop, miraculously transferred;

Schubert: Trout Quintet/Schumann: Violin Sonata no.1/Beethoven: Waldstein Sonata (all feat. Rudolf Serkin) - I delivered a Serkin programme for my friends at the Newcastle Recorded Music Group this week and it seemed to go down well. The Beethoven recording dates from 1986 and has only recently been released. As your average Gramophone reviewer wouldn’t say, it’s fucking momentous;

Sibelius: Violin Concerto (Christian Ferras/BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Ferras had a unique sweet tone that contrasted beautifully with the Berlin Phil’s thick sound;

Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (Czech PO/Janos Ferencsik) - straight ahead, clean rendition of LvB’s sunniest symphony;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Karajan’s 1962 recording of the Eroica is his best: incisive and powerful without being overdriven;

Wagner: Flying Dutchman Ov/Dvorak: Scherzo capriccioso/Schubert: Symphony no.8 (all Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - it’s taken too long for Steinberg’s Command legacy to hit CD, but DG have happily acquired the rights. These are fine, unaffected performances typical of the man.

What we want and what we get are not always the same.

Happy Easter!

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index