Will Oldham/Palace Brothers etc

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
LeeHarveyIsInnocent
47 posts

Edited Mar 26, 2024, 09:03
Re: Will Oldham/Palace Brothers etc
Mar 26, 2024, 08:42
One of my favourites in the mid-late 90's, early 2000s. Reached a pinnacle of sorts with Joya & I See A Darkness.
I started dropping out of his output with Ease Down The Road. Just got bored and started looking for stuff more "fun" in general, same with Smog / Bill Callahan. Funnily enough, I got diagnosed with severe depression in 2001, and in recovering started getting more enjoyment from the Strokes, Libertines, Times New Viking, Young Knives, Nectarine No. 9, Rakes 1st, US Weird Punk/Psych, etc, stuff I felt could stand up to the Undertones, Teardrops, Jam, Vic Godard, Orange Juice, Fire Engines, Rezillos, Associates, of the punk/post-punk era. More psychologically positive for me anyhow.
Disorder or Apocalyspe, No are undoubtedly fantastic songs, but I'd rather listen to Janie Jones or Sonic Reducer than wallow in misery these days.
(Still hang onto Syd, Roky and Skip though!)
I'd rather listen to Silver Jews from that mopey stuff anyway, at least they've got kick-ass songs like Punks In The Beerlight & Trains Across The Sea.*
Talking about USA weird punk, Julian was so right about San Francisco Water Cooler in his Address Druidion's back in the day.
Check out this fantastic EP from 2011 still available on Bandcamp for 5 bucks.:
https://sfwc.bandcamp.com/album/kool-shoes-ep

*Cat's Blues does Rock, almost forgot that one.

Unsung Forum Index