Unsung Forum »
The Fatima Mansions

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Drood
47 posts

The Fatima Mansions
Dec 10, 2002, 16:40
Anything worth getting or should i avoid them? Please let me know your views.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: The Fatima Mansions
Dec 10, 2002, 16:58
The greatest band that ever walked this earth. Get everything.

My personal favourite album is Viva Dead Ponies. Many find it too 'bitty'. Valhala Avenue would be an OK starting point. It's got lot's of stuff very obviously trying to crack the US market (big production overload) but still enough mad/intriguing stuff to get you going. And the songs are cracking. Lost In The Former West is major label rock stylee, but still cracking - imagine a less petulant RATM. First album Against Nature is very much a bridging album between Microdisney and what they went on to do (still very good, now available as part of compilation Come Back My Children). 'Mini' album Berties Brochures is all over the shop. It also includes two of my very favourite songs by them.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Previous thread
Dec 10, 2002, 17:00
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/show.php?show=message&id=57209&12

Also CC first solo album (Fatima Mansions
out-takes really) to download:

http://www.cathalcoughlan.com/music/grandnecro.html
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Dec 10, 2002, 17:02
Just about everything they've done is worth getting in my opinion.

The first album Against Nature is a scorching beauty, full of anger and bile. Plenty of guitars. The voice of an angel, albeit a cynical, mistrustful, furious, bitter and vengeful angel. The second album Viva Dead Ponies develops the themes in the smae style.

Berties Brochures offered a more subtle side to the band and showcased what fine writer Cathal Coughlan is. All of the above emotions were still present, but he showed that there's more than one way to attack your enemies.

If you can find the single Blues For Ceaucescu, buy it. One of the finest slabs of noise it's ever been my pleasure to hear. Not sure this ever made it on to an album.

A few of us on the list like the Fatima Mansions and if you like them, you might also want to explore Cathal's solo stuff.

"Only Losers Take The Bus..."
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Previous Thread
Dec 10, 2002, 17:02
Harumph, that doesn't work, does it. Will try another tact.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Dec 10, 2002, 17:04
'Blues For Ceaucescu' features with 'Against Nature' on 'Come Back My Children'. And, you get 'Hive' thrown in too. (A track which Cope reviewed in the NME and said it scared him like Black Sabbath do.)

Gonna stop posting to this thread for a bit.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Dec 10, 2002, 17:04
After that, I may find myself in the "Glowing Reviews-Shite Albums" thread.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Dec 10, 2002, 17:06
Hive. Oh yes!

On an EP with Chemical Cosh if I recall. What a pairing.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: Previous thread
Dec 10, 2002, 17:07
And this:

http://www.ottawa-anime.org/~eyevocal/fatimamansions/
Drood
47 posts

Dec 11, 2002, 11:55
Thanks people.

I actually have Berties Brochures- was dead cheap years ago, and Lost In The Former west - which was also cheap but never grabbed me. A local 2nd hand indie store has Viva dead ponies and Valhalla avenue cheap so I was wondering about those in particular.

I guess the consensus is buy them before some other bugger does.

:-)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index