John Coltrane - The Believer

Crosby, Stills & Nash - CSN

bass communion - II

bass communion - Thief of Snow

bass communion - Dronework

bass communion - And No Birds Sing

bass communion - Vajrayana / Indicates Void

Golden Earring - Moontan

Simon & Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning 3AM (mono)

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard

Chicago - Greatest Hits

The Residents - Fingerprince (Tourniquet of Roses)

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Camel - Moonmadness

Ennio Morricone - La Corta Notte Delle Bambole di Vetro OST

The Rockets (Crazy Horse) - st

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Debussy, Villa-Lobos & Ibert, John Harle, The Academy Of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Neville Marriner – Saxophone Concertos
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 February 2024 CE
Feb 04, 2024, 09:32
Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come:

Van der Graaf Generator ‘The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other’, ‘Still Life’ (2021 remix) & ‘World Record’ - that this immaculate band remained a cult while Genesis achieved world domination is one of the great unsolved mysteries of our time. Surely there was room for both. Whatever, those of us who know, know. And if you don’t, shame on you. Put it right immediately. You’ll be glad you did;

Led Zeppelin ‘Presence’ - their rockinest album, and still my fave;

The Smile ‘Wall Of Eyes’ - a more than worthy follow up to ‘A Light For Attracting Attention’, even if I’d have preferred a longer awaited successor to ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ (EIGHT YEARS… c’mon guys!). Hard to describe or define music like this, and ain’t that the way to be. On first hearing, one track particularly grabbed me: the eight minute epic that is ‘Bending Hectic’ that veers from keyless meandering (with some inventive tuning up guitar) through to the heaviest metal via a fabulous ‘Day In The Life’ type string crescendo. If you hear nothing else from this record, you gotta try this;

Saxon ‘Hell, Fire & Damnation’ - as cliched as its title indicates, but so what. Pure, solar plexus-hitting rock to feed my jaded soul;

Bob Dylan ‘Bringing It All Back Home’ - jaw dropping greatness from 1965. I mean, 1965??? Naah;

Roxy Music ‘For Your Pleasure’ - it’s easy to forget how revolutionary this record sounded fifty years ago. Oh for that level of originality now;

The Beatles ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ - the only Fabs album of purely Lennon & McCartney originals, and a delight from start to finish, especially in un-buggered-about-with mono;

The Beatles ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ - this week concentrating on the original six track double EP, rather than the bastardised US album. Patchy, but psychedelic gold on half the tracks. I’m sure I don’t need to specify which ones to sussed dudes like you;

Shakin’ Stevens ‘Take One’ - before his bland pop years, the (not so) young Michael Barratt purveyed some highly respectable rock’n’roll records backed by great musicians like Geraint Watkins, B J Cole and Albert Lee. This 1979 album is a very decent case in point. Hot dog;

MC5 ‘Back In The USA’ - well, I had to spin this, didn’t I? Wayne’s slide on ‘Looking At You’ is as definitive as anyone could ask. Rock in perpetuity, great man;

Riverside ‘ID.Entity’ - Polish prog with more than a toe dipped in 80s pop: think A-Ha with big balls. Sounds like it could be horrendous, but believe me, it isn’t;

Richard Beirach ‘Eon’ - one of ECM’s lesser known 70s gems from an unique American pianist still regaling his art;

Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1 (Robert Levin) - a Prelude & Fugue in every key, beautifully played on period keyboards that don’t shred my nerves like some…

Bach: English Suites 1 -3 (Vladimir Ashkenazy) … but isn’t it great to get back to Bach on the piano, however “authentic” it may not be. All I need to justify it is that Bach’s music moves me more than ever here;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.81a ‘Les Adieux’ (Friedrich Gulda) - 1950 reading that leaves me a bit cold, sorry to say;

Beethoven: Symphonies 2, 7 & 8 and Egmont Overture (Philharmonia/Herbert von Karajan) - Karajan’s London years were (for me) his peak, with an unsurpassed hand-picked orchestra. These are pretty much benchmark readings: the Second ideally paced, the Seventh full of vim, and Beethoven’s “little one” given both power and humour. Karajan’s much lauded later Berlin readings don’t quite reach this standard for me;

Mozart: Horn Concertos 1-4 (Brain/Philharmonia/Karajan) - still the definitive recording of these delightful works. No-one since has approached the ethereal tone of Dennis Brain, the Hendrix of the French horn.

One thing we share is an ideal of beauty.

Keep yer heeds, lads and lasses

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Feb 04, 2024, 10:35
Bauhaus - Press The Eject & Give Me The Tape / Burning From The Tiffany's (Glasgow 27-6-83)

The Beau Brummels - Triangle (mono)

David Bowie - Slinky Secrets / Earthling / Hours ... / Heathen

The Buzzcocks - Time's Up / Singles Going Steady

Can - Live In Brighton 1975 / Live In Cuxhaven 1976 / Live Music 1971-1977

Centipede - Septober Energy

The Cure - Boys Don't Cry / Milkweg, Amsterdam 12-12-79

Current 93 - Nature Unveiled / Dogs Blood Rising / Live At The Maldoror / Swastikas For Noddy / Crooked Crosses For The Nodding God / Black Ship Ate The Sky

The Focus Group - Sketches & Spells / Hey Let Loose Your Love / We Are All Pan's People / Stop-Motion Happening With The Focus Groop

The Free Design - Kites Are Fun / Cosmic Peekaboo / The Now Sound Redesigned (V/A)

The Incredible String Band - 'U' / Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending

Kraftwerk - Tone Float (Organisation) / S/t / Live Soest 1970

Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava

Pharoah Sanders - Elevation / Love In Us All / Live Will Find A Way / The Creator Has A Master Plan (Live)

Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth (DE 2cd) / Mission Of Dead Souls

Julie Tippetts - Sunset Glow

Tom Waits - Closing Time / The Heart Of Saturday Night / Nighthawks At The Diner / Small Change

Wire - Pink Flag / Chairs Missing / 154
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Feb 04, 2024, 12:52
Still in thrall to 60s pop and mid-70s dub and reggae this week:

Sam Cooke - Portrait Of A Legend 1951-1964
V/A - Surf's Up
V/A - Surf Rising
V/A - The Weekend Starts Here
V/A - Tamla Motown Gold: The Sound Of Young America

Lee Perry & The Upsetters - Revolution Dub
The Mighty Upsetter - Kung Fu Meets The Dragon
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey

Laurie Anderson - O Superman 7"

Stereolab - Jenny Ondioline EP

Marsheaux - E-bay Queen
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2024, 16:41
Feb 04, 2024, 16:40
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Vangelis - Heaven & Hell
Vangelis - La Fête Sauvage
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Vangelis - Spiral
Vangelis - Beaubourg

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
David Bowie - The Gouster
David Bowie - Young Americans

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back, My Friends, To the Show That Never Ends
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Works (the ultimate in hubris, from the overblown music to the 'tasteful' design of the triple gatefold, and the terribly posed and airbrushed band portraits. Carl Palmer's side is the most listenable).
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Works Vol. 2 (this odds'n'sods collection is far less pretentious and generally more agreeable than volume 1).

Kitchen Cynics & Grey Malkin - We Are All Ghosts

The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children
The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

Robin Gibb - How Old Are You? (played this after reading Bob Stanley's excellent biography of the Bee Gees, as he rates it as one of the best albums of the 80s. Wouldn't go that far, but it's a pretty good synthpop album).

Howard Jones - Human's Lib
Howard Jones - Dream Into Action (speaking of which, a lot of the songs on these 2 albums have aged surprisingly well 40 years on, clunky self-help lyrics aside. Howard's music occasionally has quite an edge to it, something he's not usually remembered for).

Dennis Wilson - Poops
Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
Dennis Wilson - Bambu

Socrates & Vangelis O. Papathanassiou - Phos

The Beatles - Get Back (soniclovenoize version; also rewatched Peter Jackson's TV series - truly remarkable to eavesdrop on a band so closely, going through their various ups and downs. The main thing that struck me is how exaggerated Yoko's supposedly detrimental effect has been. Straight away we see two yogi friends of George's hanging around, and then later Linda, Patti and Maureen turn up, so it's not as if John was the only one introducing outsiders. Love the moment where young Heather starts wailing into the microphone while the band are playing and John looks over to Paul and delightedly shouts 'Yoko!')
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 05, 2024, 18:58
Flying Wig – Devendra Banhart
Unlimited Edition - Can
Grave Disorder – The Damned
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought
Cover Up - Ministry
Unsung Forum Index