Golden Earrings - Winter-Harvest

Golden Earrings - Miracle Mirror

Golden Earrings - On the Double

The Golden Earring - Eight Miles High

Golden Earring - st

Golden Earring - Seven Tears

Golden Earring - Together

Golden Earring - Moontan

Shocking Blue - Singles A's & B's (Vols 1 & 2)

Hawkwind - st

The Residents - Santa Dog EP

The Residents - Meet The Residents

The Residents Present The Third Reich 'n' Roll

Chrome - The Visitation

Earth & Fire - st

Moebius – Musik Für Metropolis

Moebius - Aspirin

Charles Mingus - Changes Two

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

The Easybeats - Easy

The Easybeats - It's 2 Easy
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2024, 12:19
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 January 2024 CE
Jan 28, 2024, 09:14
Poor little greenie:

Sandy Denny ‘Like An Old Fashioned Waltz’ - which has now shaded its companions to become my favourite Sandy solo album. Yes, some of the string arrangements are OTT but they don’t smother a wonderful set of songs. And that angelic voice just resonates throughout;

Sandy Denny ‘I’ve Always Kept A Unicorn’ - useful 2CD comp of Sandy’s acoustic recordings, featuring a stellar solo, er, ‘Solo’;

Paul Weller ‘In Another Room’ EP - where the Modfather went all free-form. I’m a bit dubious about the sincerity of this left-field turn but I can’t help rather liking it - in much the same way that I like ‘Revolution 9’;

Saxon ‘Hell, Fire and Damnation’ - just how you’d expect a new Saxon album to sound. Biff’s lyrics are as cheesy as ever but my, how this band of septuagenarians rock;

Pitch Shifter ‘Industrial’ - pretty much inventing the sub-genre that took its name, and one of the most wretched and ugly records - in a good way - in my collection. Was there ever a more hate filled track than ‘Landfill’?

The Beatles ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ - obviously not really an album, but the US version that made it so is quite a gas, not least because it contains the greatest double A-sided 45 ever. Shit man, those songs still amaze me more than ever. Did the writer of ‘Penny Lane’ really write pap like ‘Ebony and Ivory’ too? How could the writer of ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ think that ‘Woman’ cut the mustard? And did George Martin have more than a little than is usually acknowledged to do with the difference? Greater minds than mine may know;

King’s X ‘Three Sides Of One’ - you gotta hand it to these guys who’ve delivered their uncompromising hard rocking, funky shit over forty years. Time and health problems haven’t tamed them. They rock;

The Teardrop Explodes ‘Wilder’ - unlike many albums of its time, this still sounds fresh, its tinny drums notwithstanding. Julian sang more “conventionally” then. I can’t decide which of his vocal styles I like most. But then, one of the reasons I dig Peter Hammill is his veritable palette of vocal tones. Why should the Drude be different?

John Foxx ‘Avenham’ - Brian Eno defines ambient music as being “as ignorable as it is interesting”. This is way beyond that. In fact, it’s beautiful;

Genesis ‘The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway’ - after nearly fifty years, I’m starting to warm to this, though it’s probably my least fave Gabriel-era Genesis album. Wacky concept aside, it has a few great moments and (to paraphrase Rossini on Wagner) some tedious quarters of an hour;

David Bowie ‘Diamond Dogs’ - another half century gem, this time more consistently excellent. In fact, with ‘Ziggy’ and ‘Hunky Dory’, this makes my Top 3 Bowie albums. Its surreal (I avoided saying “dystopian” given this month’s Record Collector writer saying it four times in one article) vibe just floors me every time. Bruh! Bruh! Bruh!

David Bowie ‘Aladdin Sane’ - which has worn less well than the aforesaid, but will always command a place in my affections as the first truly inventive full priced album I ever bought with my own (pocket) money. My fave track remains ‘The Jean Genie’ which is the only 45 I’ve literally worn out. I drove my mam and dad mad playing it on repeat;

Julie Tippetts ‘Sunset Glow’ - I’m indebted to garerama for drawing this lovely record to my attention. Yes, I can see what Robert Wyatt meant by describing this as a sister album to ‘Rock Bottom’. It has much the same elegiac and warmly atonal feel;

Urs Leimgruber, Jacques Demierre, Barre Phillips & Thomas Lehn ‘Willisau’ - the addition of Lehn’s analogue synth to Leimgruber’s established trio adds more than just texture. There are moments during these two improvised pieces that are almost too intense to endure;

Bach: The Art Of Fugue (Christoph Rousset) - new benchmark recording of Bach’s late masterpiece confined in this instance to a single harpsichord. Sublime music is all;

Haydn: Symphony no.92 ‘Oxford’/Beethoven: Symphony no.4/Brahms: Symphony no.2 (all cond. Gunter Wand) - live recordings demonstrating Wand’s interpretative individuality, veering from slow and romantic in Brahms to sprightly in Haydn and muscular in Beethoven…

Beethoven: Coriolan Overture (BPO/Wilhelm Furtwaengler 1943) - … but this Beethoven is way beyond mere muscles. The tension in this wartime performance is almost unbearable, as if these players were fiddling for their very lives. And as the Allied bombers circled over Berlin, they probably were;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (BPO/Wilhelm Furtwaengler 25/5/47) - Furtwaengler’s first post-war concert included a uniquely grandiose take on Beethoven’s Fifth, alternatively dead slow and furiously fast. It’s fascinating to compare his different approaches to this work from the (at least) ten performances that survive. What unites them all is true greatness;

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra (NYPO/Leonard Bernstein) - a more romantic approach than most to this masterpiece, capped by a riotous finale. Not definitive perhaps, but I enjoyed it immensely;

Bruckner: Symphony no.7 (Hague PO/Carl Schuricht) - Schuricht takes the odd liberty with Bruckner’s tempo and dynamic markings but always to the service of the music. This tense 1964 recording is an unsung classic, I reckon.

I wish my father was here.

Toodle pip.

Dave x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 14:23
Another week of mostly 60s and 70s listening.

Marianne Faithfull - The Very Best Of
Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band - Foot Stompin' Soul
Dusty Springfield - Gold

Fripp & Eno - Live In Paris 28.5.1975
Lee Perry - Revolution Dub
Lee Perry - Kung Fu Meets The Dragon
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey

The Fall - The Man Whose Head Expanded 7"
The Fall - Kicker Conspiracy 2x 7"
Quando Quango - Love Tempo 12"
Julian Cope - Eve's Volcano 12"

Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants

Underworld - A Hundred Days Off
Marsheaux - E-bay Queen
Marsheaux - Peek a Boo
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 19:10
Alternative - If They Treat You Like Shit - Act Like Manure

Be-Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim / Futurama

The Beatles - Please Please Me / With The Beatles

Birthday Party - Junkyard

Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi / The Campfire Headphase / Tomorrow's Harvest

David Bowie - The Buddha Of Suburbia / 1. Outside / Dublin - I'm In Clover (24-11-95) / Earthling / The Next Day

Goat - Oh Death / Medicine

Gong - Magick Brother / Continental Circus

Matching Mole - S/t / Little Red Record

Ora - S/t

William Orbit - Strange Cargo III

Oriental Sunshine - Dedicated To The Bird We Love

Pixies - Come On Pilgrim / Surfer Rosa / Doolittle / Bossanova

Patti Smith - Horses / Gone Away / Peace & Noise / Banga

Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup bonus disc / Dots & Loops / Turn On

Stephen Stills - S/t

Swans - Filth / Live At The Kitchen, NYC 1982/83 / Body To Body

Television - Marquee Moon / Adventure / Live At The Waldorf 1978

Scott Walker - Boy Child

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom / Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard

V/A - Trainspotting OST / Trainspotting #2 OST
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 19:15
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Julie Tippetts ‘Sunset Glow’ - I’m indebted to garerama for drawing this lovely record to my attention. Yes, I can see what Robert Wyatt meant by describing this as a sister album to ‘Rock Bottom’. It has much the same elegiac and warmly atonal feel;

Glad it was to your taste, it is a thing of beauty and serenity, that album.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 19:25
The Man Whose Head Expanded was my 'in' to all things Fall. Still think it's my fav Fall track of all time. Taped it off one of those Peel night time shows of the time along with Frank Chickens, The Membranes Spike Milligans Tape Recorder and a Three Johns session if memeory serves. Wore that casette out.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 19:52
Monganaut wrote:
The Man Whose Head Expanded was my 'in' to all things Fall. Still think it's my fav Fall track of all time. Taped it off one of those Peel night time shows of the time along with Frank Chickens, The Membranes Spike Milligans Tape Recorder and a Three Johns session if memeory serves. Wore that casette out.

Sounds a cracking evening of Peel.
It's a great single, that period posy Hex and before they signed for Beggars threw up some terrific singles. I first heard it on the In Palace Of Swords Reversed compilation, which was my intro to their earlier stuff.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 20:04
Finally caught friken covid. Don't feel to bad tho truth be told.

Bauhaus - Press the Eject/Sky's Gone Out/Bela Sessions
Currently re-reading the very old SAF Bauhaus biog by Ian Shirley. A little sycophantic in parts but mostly solid. Hence back catalogue diggage. For me, Press The Eject is a little like Space Ritual in being a solid representation of the band where they shone most.

Love and Rockets - Earth Sun Moon/ ST/My Dark Twin
See above. My kids bought me one of those 5 albums box sets of L&R a few years ago for a birthday gift, knowing I wanted to replace a few vinyl bits. Gotta say, till these last months I'd not bothered with the later stuff. Pleasantly surprised how good much of it is, well beyond those godawful 80's 'big drum' sounds.

The Orb - Orbsession v:1/ Metallic Spheres in Color remix EP
Another two new to me Orb records that are deffo more than half decent. The Mettalic Spheres remix if pure gold if you enjoy that early 'ultraworld' Orb period. Plenty of jokey samples etc..
In Color edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xwyoVSIIs

FSOL - Environment 7.003
In A Similar vein to the above, FSOL seem to be minig that Lifeforms era with various unreleased DAT mixes and recordings of the time. Good stuff!
https://fsol.bandcamp.com/album/environment-7003

Silver Apples and Makoto Kawabata - Mirage
Kinda what you'd expect soundwise, not something thats gonna get a spin often, but i'm glad it exists when a track turns up on shuffle. Also makes me feel a little better about my own aweful tuneless sonic experiments.
https://imprec.bandcamp.com/album/mirage

Melvins - Throbbing Jazz Gristle Funk Hits
Still hitting the spot.

OMD - Organisation

Tarwater - Rabbit Moon Revisited/ Musique Originale Du Film Donne-moi La Main
Sometimes, Only Tarwater fill that music shaped hole in thier own unassuming way.
Various

Beurea B - Gespensterland
Superb comp of 'alt' Germany. Lots of wyrd folk alt pop, hauntology and strange electronics on this fabbo comp.
https://bureaub.bandcamp.com/album/gespensterland

God Unknown Vol:1 Singles Club.

Anyway, keep well all. Off to neck some more paracetamol. x
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 20:22
Since MES passing, I don't dig out the Fall nearly enough. Even their later hit and miss releases contain at least two or three killer tunes. Was watching Brassic the other week and Blindness came on during one scene, Wow! that bass line is just.....had to run upstairs and grab Fall Heads Roll album and blast it out after. One of my fav records by them is the weirdly cobbled together Seminal Live, Just adore Squid Law and Mollusc in Tyrol. The general consensus by most fans is it's shit. There's also a weird little comp of out-takes and versions called 'Northern Attitude - An Alternative Selection' which is one of those godawful Music Club collections that you can find fer a coupla quid, I just love it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 20:39
Urgh, hope it stays mild for you.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index