Japrocksampler - Latest Reissues - Discogs List

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Japrocksampler - Latest Reissues - Discogs List
Jan 24, 2024, 17:47
https://www.discogs.com/lists/Japrocksampler-Authors-Top-50-Best-Re-Issues/1462114

Morning all. I've been slowly tracking down physical copies of the JRS top 50, and there have been so many really great vinyl reissues coming out the last few years, thought I'd make up a handy-dancy Discogs list for the 12 other nerds out there.

After JRS came out, there was a flurry of bootleg lps and cds (mostly from Phoenix Records) that cashed in on the niche craze, but they weren't worth much more than the wax they came on. Some of these re-issues are coming straight from Japan, but even with import fees they are reasonably priced for how good they are made. Other are licensed out. Some may never get proper re-issues.

I've never been inclined to track down original pressings, unless they are cheap and available, so if you are happy hunting and good luck. This list is for the budget conscious, but still addicted to physical copies.

Of course there are many more beyond the top 50, but as JC always has been quite diplomatic in justifying his recommendations, these are all great examples of the period he focuses on.

Take care.
kyodo_dom
5 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2024, 11:03
Re: Japrocksampler - Latest Reissues - Discogs List
Jan 25, 2024, 11:02
That's very good of you to put that list up there. I'm here in Japan and have picked up nearly all of these on vinyl in one edition or another. With some luck original vinyl copies of no.30 can be found for cheap. As you say, one of the least-talked about on the list, and none of my music-loving Japanese friends has even really heard of them, let alone know that LP's goodness.

All of the recent officially-sanctioned reissues you mention are top-notch.

And for those with an interest in 70s Japanese jazz, the quality reissues in that realm keep coming thick and fast too.

// k_d
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 25, 2024, 22:21
kyodo_dom wrote:
That's very good of you to put that list up there. I'm here in Japan and have picked up nearly all of these on vinyl in one edition or another. With some luck original vinyl copies of no.30 can be found for cheap. As you say, one of the least-talked about on the list, and none of my music-loving Japanese friends has even really heard of them, let alone know that LP's goodness.

All of the recent officially-sanctioned reissues you mention are top-notch.

And for those with an interest in 70s Japanese jazz, the quality reissues in that realm keep coming thick and fast too.

// k_d

Cheers.

And for anyone who liked the taste of Japanese rock via 3/3, I just read this piece of news about their later incarnation Friction. More P-Vine vinyl reissues coming!

https://p-vine.jp/news/20231227-180019
phallus dei
583 posts

Jan 25, 2024, 23:16
Thanks for putting together this list. I also enjoyed reading (and mostly agree with) your comments regarding individual albums. Doubt if I'll ever have the money to buy vinyl releases of these, but it's fun to dream.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 26, 2024, 01:18
phallus dei wrote:
Thanks for putting together this list. I also enjoyed reading (and mostly agree with) your comments regarding individual albums. Doubt if I'll ever have the money to buy vinyl releases of these, but it's fun to dream.

You're welcome. It's my current obsession, and some of these reissues popped out of nowhere. Don't worry about buying shit, that's why there's YT and streaming. I just love me a record to own and hold.
kyodo_dom
5 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 01:32
Although not in the Top 50, the Oz Days Live compilation is mentioned in the book, and has recently been reissued in a 50th anniversary special edition too, in case you'd missed it:

https://www.discogs.com/release/25180156-Various-Oz-Days-Live-72-73-Kichijoji-The-50th-Anniversary-Collection
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 30, 2024, 15:02
kyodo_dom wrote:
Although not in the Top 50, the Oz Days Live compilation is mentioned in the book, and has recently been reissued in a 50th anniversary special edition too, in case you'd missed it:

https://www.discogs.com/release/25180156-Various-Oz-Days-Live-72-73-Kichijoji-The-50th-Anniversary-Collection

I didn't buy that one, just the separate Rallizes lp. I would have loved to hear more Taj Mahal Travellers from that era, but maybe it's a rights issue.
kyodo_dom
5 posts

Jan 31, 2024, 01:31
I was talking to Makoto Kubota and also the head of the Japanese label that’s putting out these recent reissues at a sort of listening party for December’s “Baus ‘93” release last night and they said there should be two more LRD releases this year.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 31, 2024, 01:49
kyodo_dom wrote:
I was talking to Makoto Kubota and also the head of the Japanese label that’s putting out these recent reissues at a sort of listening party for December’s “Baus ‘93” release last night and they said there should be two more LRD releases this year.

Sweet, can't wait. He was teasing a bunch of live tapes on his Instagram feed.

NP: Itsutsu no Akai F?sen - New Sky/Flight. Got a great deal on a 1981 promo version of this, super clean vinyl. Really great album.
phallus dei
583 posts

Jan 31, 2024, 12:19
Citizensmurf wrote:
kyodo_dom wrote:

I didn't buy that one, just the separate Rallizes lp. I would have loved to hear more Taj Mahal Travellers from that era, but maybe it's a rights issue.

Citizensmurf, you definitely need to get the expanded 50th edition of OZ days. The added Acid Seven material is phenomenal, and reveals them to be a key Japrock band. There's also a couple extra Rallizes tracks that weren't on the "Rallizes only" issue. Shame about no TMT, though.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index