48 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2024, 15:28
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 January 2024 CE
Jan 15, 2024, 15:22
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Roy Wood- Boulders

I've always thought of Roy Wood as a criminally overlooked major talent.

Absolutely. I think in the UK, we're happy to mythologise US artists who make brilliant pure pop records (Brian Wilson, Alex Chilton etc.) but are a bit snobbish or dismissive when it comes to homegrown pop geniuses like Wood (not that there are many geniuses like him in any neck of the, er, woods).

Agreed about Roy Wood, that first Move album is incredible, and then the 70s stuff!

Love some Beach Boys & Alex too. I saw Chilton playing 2 glorified pubs in Edinburgh in the 90's, rammed though they were. And that was after then-hotshots TFC had given him major props (or major rip-offs). And R.E.M. too, of course. He didn't play any Big Star, but that situation is unimaginable if he was still around. A movie always helps getting the "normies" interested ('Nothing Can Hurt Me'), though, check out Rodriguez - after 'Searching for Sugar Man' - he sold-out major venues across the World. Before that he was virtually unknown.

The Nightingales are far more popular now after the 'King Rocker' movie, and rightly so. But I saw them play to 12 people a few years before that came out.

The Replacements will go stratospheric if 'Trouble Boys' the movie ever gets made. A movie about how they fucked up every chance they got will finally turn them into successes!

I think what I'm saying is, we need a Roy Wood movie!

Unsung Forum Index