Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Jan 14, 2024, 10:10
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 January 2024 CE
Jan 14, 2024, 10:09
My heart’s in the highlands:

Man ‘Slow Motion’ - like the Grateful Dead (to which they’re often compared), Man was best heard in a live context. This, however, was a particularly fine studio set;

David Bowie ‘Divine Symmetry’ (Disc 1) - these precious ‘Hunky Dory’ demos make an excellent album in their own right;

Slayer ‘Reign In Blood’ - because, every now and then, even an old sp*cked twat like me needs a mosh;

Peter Hammill ‘From The Trees’ - seven years have now passed since Peter quietly unveiled his last all-new album of self-compositions. A shame, because this is as individual and moving as any of his more intense work, solo or otherwise. I hope his health sustains;

John Foxx ‘Avenham’ - inspired by a Preston park but sounding much more romantic, this is another of Foxx’s instrumental albums that washes over the listener like pure spring water. Listen on headphones, close your eyes and immerse yourself in its beauty;

John Foxx ‘Cathedral Oceans’ - comments as above. Luscious. No-one comes close to Foxx in this genre-free sound world; not even Eno;

Bob Dylan ‘Time Out Of Mind’ (2022 remix) - although I’m a little older than Bob when he made this excellent record, I can now more readily identify with its world weary, mortality-aware vibe. And its great sound, especially in the latest mix;

Bob Dylan ‘Fragments’ - like the aforementioned Bowie release, the outtakes and alternative versions from the last named make for a fine album in themselves;

Pip Pyle’s Bash! ‘Belle Illusion’ - Pyle’s last band was in his established mould: memorable and melodic jazz rock without histrionics. You’re missed, Pip;

Uriah Heep ‘Chaos & Colour’ - quality hard rock in the classic Heep mode. No surprises, but who listening to this would want them? One obligatory clunking ballad aside, this rocks;

Simple Minds ‘Empires & Dance’ - I try to dig Simple Minds’ recent efforts but always fall back on their early work. This is their peak for me;

John Mayall ‘Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton’ - the young Mr Clapp had so much more edge than the older one, didn’t he?

Kirsty MacColl ‘See That Girl’ (selections) - one of those rare box sets I can dip into at random and always be satisfied with what I hear. Her music hasn’t dated, and I doubt it ever will;

Robert Wyatt ‘Rock Bottom’ - beyond criticism. No debate necessary. Fifty fucking years old. No;

Waylon Jennings ‘Waylon and Company’ - a bit too 1983 in places (you know what I mean) but, with that voice, I keep listening. Duets only emphasise how good Waylon sounds;

Waylon Jennings ‘Good Hearted Woman’ - this 1972 album needs no excuses, however. This is prime Waylon in great voice with great songs in great sound;

Wishbone Ash ‘Blue Horizon’ - 2014 album strong on riffs and melody, meh on vocals. I wish Andy and Martin would sort out their differences;

Sonic Youth ‘Daydream Nation’ - my go-to Sonics album. Definitive;

Arild Andersen ‘Celebration’ - Andersen heading some ace big band arrangements of ECM catalogue highlights. His take on Keith Jarrett’s ‘My Song’ is particularly fine. The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra are more than up to the job;

Urs Leimgruber ‘Lugano’ - Marilyn Crispell’s ever lyrical piano provides an essential link with Anthony Braxton’s similar sounding free ensemble of the 1980s. This is free playing as fresh and intriguing as that ground-breaking quartet;

Sibelius: The Oceanides and Symphonies 1 & 4 (Finnish RSO/Jukka-Pekka Saraste) - very individual, sometimes romantic, sometimes frantic takes on Sibelius from an obscenely cheap box set I’ve just acquired. More to follow;

Boieldieu: Caliph of Baghdad & White Lady Overtures/Nielsen: Helios/Varese: Arcana (Jean Martinon) - played on the 114th anniversary of this underrated conductor’s birth, and proof that there was so much more to his art than sublime Ravel or Debussy;

Beethoven: Symphonies 3 (BPO/Raphael Kubelik) & 8 (Cleveland/Kubelik) - a more measured take on the Eroica than Karajan’s with the same orchestra, as fine in its own, delicate and considered, way. The Eighth is beyond criticism, i.e. just right;

Beethoven: Symphony no.4 & Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra (Philharmonia/Herbert von Karajan) - HvK’s most considered recorded take on this symphony is not always to its advantage. But his Bartok is revelatory, far superior to his Berlin versions. The finale had me swirling round my front room like the deranged maniac I am;

Beethoven: Coriolan Overture/Hindemith: Cello Concerto (w. Tortelier)/Krejci: Serenade for Orchestra (all Czech PO/Karel Ancerl) - I enjoyed these recordings very much. Ancerl was a wonderful conductor;

Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.6 (BBC SO/Sir Adrian Boult) - 1975 live recording even more incisive than Boult’s studio takes. VW doesn’t come more intense than this;

Rossini: Barber Of Seville Overture/Haydn: Symphony no.101 ‘Clock’/Wagner: Siegfried Idyll/Brahms: Haydn Variations/Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (all NYPO/Arturo Toscanini) - recordings from 1929-36 exhibiting the verve and incision of Toscanini. The Beethoven Fifth, a live recording from 1933, is exceptional;

Debussy: Pour le piano (Martin Jones) - music to lose my sorry self in.

Oh dear me. Heavens above. Please stop. I can’t stand it.

Love ya

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index