Jan 07, 2024, 01:17
Iron Butterfly - Heavy

Kiss - Hotter Than Hell

Kiss - Destroyer

Ace Frehley - st

Chrome - Alien Soundtracks

Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves

Chrome - Read Only Memory (mini-album)

Roxy Music - st (disc 2 of box set, Demos & Out-Takes)

Bebel Gilberto - João

The Residents - A Nickle If Your Dick's This Big (disc 2)

Ozric Tentacles - Erpsongs

Charles Bobuck (Hardy Fox) - Roman de la Rose

The Moody Blues - Prelude

AC/DC - HIGH VOLTAGE (Aussie)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love

V.A. - Back to Mono (1958-1969) (disc 1)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2024 CE
Jan 07, 2024, 09:05
Ring out the old, ring in the new:

Bob Dylan ‘More Greatest Hits’ - the first Dylan album I ever owned remains a quality listen despite its non-chronological structure;

Buzzcocks ‘Love Bites’ - which I’ve let a couple of dud tracks make me too long consider this a substandard LP. This truly enlivened a depressing end of year morning;

George Harrison ‘Dark Horse’ - which is now, unbelievably, fifty years old. It’s patchy, a bit self-pitying, but there’s enough good music going down here to make me think ‘Dark Horse’ isn’t quite the turkey it’s often held out to be;

Ringo Starr ‘It Don’t Come Easy’, ‘Back Off Boogaloo’ & ‘Photograph’ 45s - and even older are these 7” gems that George’s old marra unleashed upon a surprised public. And you know what - their quality sustains;

Echo and the Bunnymen ‘Heaven Up Here’ - playing this while walking along Seaburn sea front at dusk, I swear I visioned the sleeve of this wonderful album. Then I went home and played it again - twice. 43 years old? Naaahhh. Just a reminder of how great music was in the early Eighties. As is

Magazine ‘The Correct Use Of Soap’ - not quite up to the level of ‘Secondhand Daylight’ methinks, but still a damn fine record;

Wishbone Ash ‘Bona Fide’ - like all of Wishbone’s 21st century albums this suffers from the lack of a decent lead vocalist, but the songwriting and playing remain excellent;

REO Speedwagon ‘Hi-Infidelity’ - it takes an exceptional album to transcend a genre in which you have no interest to the extent that you love it anyway. This is mine. Pure pleasure from first note to last, yet I bloody hate soft rock;

David Sylvian & Holger Czukay ‘Plight & Premonition’ - MOR avant garderie, and that’s not meant as a criticism, rather than a feeling that this is improvised music at its least demanding;

U2 ‘Bullet The Blue Sky’ (from ‘Rattle & Hum’) - very little U2 moves me but my, this surely does. Edge’s slide makes me wriggle like a snake;

David Bowie ‘Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles 1974)’ - so superior is this belated set to ‘David Live’, I wonder why the latter was ever considered for release. The closing ‘John I’m Only Dancing (Again)’ is a particular hoot. I’ll never consider this Bowie’s best era, but this record captures his white soul phase better than any other;

Mal Waldron ‘The Call’ - one of ECM’s headier releases, chosen to launch their much missed JAPO imprint in 1971. As radical in its own way as anything else recorded in Germany at the time;

Maynard Ferguson ‘Live At Jimmy’s’ - jazz’ most thrilling trumpeter blowing up a storm back in ‘74. Test your tweeters with this mother;

Joe Loss Orchestra ‘Joe Loss Plays Glenn Miller’ - one of my Dad’s old LPs that still shines over fifty years later. Classy big band music, occasionally enhanced by the creamy vocals of Elvis Costello’s old man Ross McManus;

Bach: Prelude & Fugue in C, BWV 545 (Peter Hurford, Helmut Walcha 1950, Helmut Walcha 1970, Ton Koopman, Hans Fagius, Bernard Foccroulle, Andrea Marcon) - it’s oddly instructive to hear the same piece played by different players on different organs. Each has its own pros and cons, but Hans Fagius comes nearest to my ideal;

Brahms: Symphony no.2 (BBC SO/Arturo Toscanini) - pre-war studio take not released until the 90s. Quite excellent, despite crumbly sound;

Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (Philharmonia/Otto Klemperer) - 1957 live performance with a notable edge lacking from Klemperer’s (still fine) studio recordings;

Sibelius: Symphony no.6 (Moscow RSO/Gennady Rozhdestvensky) - occasionally scrawny strings, but this is an unusually distinctive interpretation, heavy on atmosphere - and brass;

Suppe: Beautiful Galatea Overture/Bernstein: Chichester Psalms/Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.3 (w. Rudolf Serkin)/Dvorak: Symphony no.7 (all NYPO/Leonard Bernstein) - there’s no such thing as a bland Bernstein recording, and these duly records emote and engage like few others, the only exception being the Beethoven which seemed curiously earthbound;

Haydn: String Quartet in B flat, Op.55 no.3 (Buchberger Quartet) - earthy and vital take on one of Haydn’s many four-stringed masterpieces. What the Buchbergers lack in refinement, they make up for in spirit;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.31 no.1 (Artur Schnabel) - amidst the 78 RPM mush and a few wrong notes lies an interpretation like none since.

Nostalgia for an age yet to come.

Have a good week

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Jan 07, 2024, 11:41
The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

Afro Celt Soundsystem - Volume 1: Sound Magic

Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei / Yeti

Broadcast - The Noise Made By People / Haha Sound

Coil - Horse Rotorvator / Moon's Milk / The Ape Of Naples / Black Antlers

Julian Cope - Rite 2 / Rite Now

Edgar Froese - Aqua

Genesis - Nursery Cryme / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Gong - Magick Brother / Camembert Electrique / Continental Circus

Kraftwerk - S/t / II / Ralf & Florian

Morrissey - Viva Hate

Psychic TV - Live In Heaven / Thee Fabulous Feast Ov Flowering Light / Southern Comfort / Live In Glasgow

The Smiths - S/t / Hatful Of Hollow / Meat Is Murder

Swans - To Be Kind / The Glowing Man

The Teardrop Explodes - The Piano / Kilimanjaro / Wilder

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs / Bone Machine

Kamasi Washington - The Epic / Harmony Of Difference

Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat / The Grand Wazoo / Waka/Jawaka / Zoot Allures
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jan 07, 2024, 12:24
The Bevis Frond- Focus On Nature
Elephant Stone- Back Into The Dream
The Hanging Stars- On The Golden Shore
Hannah Frances- Keeper Of The Shepherd
Melodion- Apeiron
Chin of Britain- Weasel On The Bridge
Crocodiles- Endless Demos

Hank Marvin- Throw Down A Line: A Taste of Hank Marvin
Bill Fay- Tomorrow, Tomorrow And Tomorrow
Graham Parker & The Rumour- The Up Escalator
David Johansen- Here Comes The Night
Todd Rundgren- Something / Anything?
The Monkees- Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd
Westworld- Where The Action Is
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 07, 2024, 14:54
New Year listening so far:

Les Group de Six - Selected Works 1915-1945
V/A - A Young Person's Guide To The Avant-Garde
V/A - Bauhaus: Reviewed 1919-1933
V/A - Notes From The Underground

V/A - I Hear A New World

Pink Floyd - The First Three Singles
Pink Floyd - Relics

Duke Ellington - The Connie Plank Session
T. Rex - Get It On (Fly Records era compilation)
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian
Jean Michel Jarre - Les Granges Brulees
Tangerine Dream - Atem
Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Flowers (Icehouse) - Icehouse

Warrington -Runcorn New Town Development Plan - District Roads, Open Space
Warrington -Runcorn New Town Development Plan - The Nation's Most Central Location
Epic45 - Spring
Alison Goldfrapp - The Love Invention
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Jan 07, 2024, 21:43
Shirley Collins - Archangel Hill

Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind

ABBA - Voulez Vous
ABBA - Super Trouper
ABBA - The Visitors
ABBA - Opus 10
ABBA - Voyage

John Lennon - Imagine

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

Simon Joyner - Songs For The New Year

Elton John - Victim Of Love
Elton John - 21 At 33
Elton John - The Fox

Ron Geesin - Ghost Story OST

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker (Philharmonia Orchestra/John Lanchbery)

The Beach Boys - Carl & The Passions: So Tough
The Beach Boys - Holland
The Beach Boys - In Concert

Fun Boy Three - The Fun Boy Three
Fun Boy Three - Waiting
Fun Boy Three - Live In Hitchin (all from the complete FB3 box set. What a great group they were, using their limitations to great effect by concentrating on rhythms and distinctive backing vocals. Then the all-female backing group came in on album two and they got even better. Our Lips Are Sealed has to be one of the finest singles of the decade with Tunnel Of Love not far behind).

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 09, 2024, 20:13
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Ringo Starr ‘It Don’t Come Easy’, ‘Back Off Boogaloo’ & ‘Photograph’ 45s - and even older are these 7” gems that George’s old marra unleashed upon a surprised public. And you know what - their quality sustains;

As unlikely it may seem, I still think Ringo's first 3 singles above eclipse the opening three from any of the other Beatles.
Unsung Forum Index