Unsung Forum »
Walter Wegmuller - Tarot Reissue

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Walter Wegmuller - Tarot Reissue
Jan 03, 2024, 14:06
After wanting a physical copy of this for, well forever, I only just found out it was reissued in December 2022. Deluxe vinyl with cut out Tarot cards and regular double vinyl seem vastly over priced, so went for 4CD edition, with original and 'new' mixes. There is also a double CD edition which is about £20 or so. If you don't have it and fancy a copy, grab it afore the scalpers clear em' out. https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/146847/Walter-Wegmuller-Tarot-2022-Reissue-Kosmische-Kuriere
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Walter Wegmuller - Tarot Reissue
Jan 03, 2024, 16:02
Monganaut wrote:
After wanting a physical copy of this for, well forever, I only just found out it was reissued in December 2022. Deluxe vinyl with cut out Tarot cards and regular double vinyl seem vastly over priced, so went for 4CD edition, with original and 'new' mixes. There is also a double CD edition which is about £20 or so. If you don't have it and fancy a copy, grab it afore the scalpers clear em' out. https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/146847/Walter-Wegmuller-Tarot-2022-Reissue-Kosmische-Kuriere

It's great. I bought the standard 2LP reissue (w/o box or tarot set). All these Dieter Dierks archival reissues have been outstanding, looking forward to more when they come out.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 03, 2024, 17:37
Noooice. Noticed a few Cosmic Jokers albums getting the same treatment. Hows the remaster sound to you? I read over on discogs some peeps think the remaster is a little harsh and lacking the bass end. Also intrigued by the 'remixed' version of the album. deffo looking forward to that.

Weird how the reissue managed to totally pass me by till earlier today. I was playing Tarot whilst cooking a few weeks back and my eldest wandered in asking what it was. Think I said then that I didn't think I'd ever get a copy cos second hand prices were nuts. Ahhh, serendipity.

Also just found out that Coil Album/EP collection Moons Milk in Four Phases is getting a reissue in March, with Remote Viewer album tagged on the end. Looking forward to that too.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 03, 2024, 18:59
Monganaut wrote:
Noooice. Noticed a few Cosmic Jokers albums getting the same treatment. Hows the remaster sound to you? I read over on discogs some peeps think the remaster is a little harsh and lacking the bass end. Also intrigued by the 'remixed' version of the album. deffo looking forward to that.

Weird how the reissue managed to totally pass me by till earlier today. I was playing Tarot whilst cooking a few weeks back and my eldest wandered in asking what it was. Think I said then that I didn't think I'd ever get a copy cos second hand prices were nuts. Ahhh, serendipity.

Also just found out that Coil Album/EP collection Moons Milk in Four Phases is getting a reissue in March, with Remote Viewer album tagged on the end. Looking forward to that too.

I never owned any previous CJ releases, only heard on YT, so can't say if these are better/worse, but they sound just fine to me. Also paying sensible retail $ vs hundreds for used originals is totally my bag.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Jan 03, 2024, 23:30
This is of course excellent news for anyone who never had a chance to get the album. For me though, having invested heavily during the 90s/early 00s in the first wave of CD reissues (cue fond memories of Other Music in NYC where my paychecks disappeared), it's always a bit stressful when things get remastered and figuring out whether or not the sound of a given reissue makes it worth buying again.

I have the original spalax cd of this meisterwerk (would you believe I lost the cards in a move...). Always sounded great to me, as did the Cosmic Jokers discs and just about everything else reissued at the time on Spalax, Second Battle, Garden of Delights, etc., etc. (And there is something to be said for the greater dynamic range of earlier CDs versus the louder remasters.)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 04, 2024, 07:33
The reviews over on Discogs seem to rate the Spalax versions above the new remasters, though as with anything, it's highly subjective.
I'm most curious about the remix version in the 4 CD edition. Don't know if this was given away with vinyl versions, or indeed if the 'new' remix is the new vinyl version.
LeeHarveyIsInnocent
48 posts

Jan 28, 2024, 18:07
Monganaut wrote:
The reviews over on Discogs seem to rate the Spalax versions above the new remasters, though as with anything, it's highly subjective.
I'm most curious about the remix version in the 4 CD edition. Don't know if this was given away with vinyl versions, or indeed if the 'new' remix is the new vinyl version.

Anybody heard the remix on CD's 3&4 and say if it's worth picking up for that?
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2024, 19:20
Jan 28, 2024, 19:19
I've played it a few times, tho tbh the original isn't something that I'm super familiar enough with for a decent comparison, unlike say, if it was a different mix of Future Days by Can which I know inside out. Both cleaned up versions sound great. I'd say on the strength of the few spins I've given discs 3 and 4 are not that different to the original. I did notice a few vocal areas stood out more clearly in the mix, otherwise I'm not sure. Drop me an email and I'll send you some 192kb rars to make your own mind up. Monganaut at gmail dot com.
Unsung Forum Index