HI DEN
814 posts

Re: Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin): A Memoir by Sly Stone
Jan 14, 2024, 15:19
The Seth Man wrote:
The Seth Man wrote:
Better late than never, Sly recounts his eighty years on planet earth:

https://www.amazon.com/Thank-You-Falettinme-Mice-Agin/dp/0374606978

I wasn't well-acquainted with Sly's story, post-Family Stone.

To be honest, I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a pretty story.

But now that I know, having finished Sly's autobiography, I feel like I've been put through the last 24 minutes of BOOGIE NIGHTS (1997) on repeat loop for 24 hours straight. It gets more and more harrowing after 1975.

I could barely keep up with the drugs, locations, hotels, girls, cars, record men, family members, musical equipment (purchased, then lost, stolen or sold off), repossessions, George Clinton appearances, parties, gigs, plays on words, drugs...

He does seem to be at peace with his life and all the many decisions that led up to now. But how he is still alive is a mystery. The man lived his life at the density and speed of Lord Buckley rapping "The Nazz" (which Sly can still peel off verbatim.) First frontwards then backwards.

I ain’t too well acquainted with the Story of Sly either. Although I remember, for example, the story of him falling/rolling down a hill (or something) on his backyard and breaking his neck. While not dropping one pea off his plate he was holding (according to him)… A story and an incident sort of reflective of his whole trip, I can imagine.

Can’t wait to read this one! Even though I still haven’t gotten over George’s book…
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index