Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast Live

Strawbs - Ghosts

Procol Harum - Shine On Brightly

Procol Harum - Broken Barricades

The Beatles - With The Beatles (mono)

The Dillards - Wheatstraw Suite

Jimmy Witherspoon - Stormy Monday & Other Blues

MU - st

Genesis - And the Word Was..... (From Genesis to Revelation+)

Peter Gabriel - Us

Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt (maxi)

Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself

Moby Grape - st (mono)

Robert Rich - Electric Ladder

Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

TUU - All Our Ancestors

Junior Wells' Chicago Blues Band - Hoodoo Man Blues

Brahms - Thomas Zehetmair, The Cleveland Orchestra, Christoph von Dohnányi – Symphonies, Overtures, & Violin Concerto (disc 1 Symphony No. 1 In C Minor, Op. 68)

Brahms, Ensemble Vocal Michel Piquemal, Ensemble Orchestral De Paris, Armin Jordan – Liebesliederwalzer / Serenade No. 2 Op. 16

Anton Rubinstein, Slovak Philharmonic, Stephen Gunzenhauser – Symphony No. 2 "Ocean" (Complete 7-Movement Version)

Franz Liszt – Daniel Barenboim, Berliner Philharmoniker – Dante Symphony • Dante Sonata
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2023, 09:17
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 December 2023 CE
Dec 17, 2023, 09:09
I feel the emptiness inside me:

Van der Graaf ‘Vital’ - Peter Hammill and his punkiest VdG line-up rabid and raw at the Marquee in 1977. No public school prog here;

Van der Graaf ‘The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome’ - from the same year came the Vd-one G’s only studio album, and what a belter it is. Having a dedicated bass player back in the band - and a string player - really made for a unique sound. And the main man sounds like he’s really enjoying it;

Peter Hammill ‘The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage’ - fifty years on, and still as radical as ever. “Progressive” in the most wide ranging of that hollow definition. No one else sounds anything like this. And, over and above, this has Randy California supercharging one of the tracks;

Cluster ‘Cluster II’ - is there a more definitive Kosmische track than ‘Live in der Fabrik’? As a great man once said, “play fucking loud”;

The Who ‘Live at Leeds’ - the very essence of rock & roll. Don’t bother arguing;

The Jesus and Mary Chain ‘jamcod’ - new music where the Chain get all krauty and droney. Nice;

Family ‘Anyway’ - half live, half studio LP that exhibits all the moods of Leicester’s finest ever band. That they had no definite style is to their credit, methinks;

The Lurkers ‘Fulham Fallout’ - ramshackle wonderment from an eternally underrated band. Oh what fun they were;

Sonic Youth ‘Hits Are For Squares’ - ace compilation from a band against compilations. Imagine a 62 year old post-stroke overweight bastard bouncing round his front room to ‘Teenage Riot’. Or maybe best not;

Edwyn Collins ‘Gorgeous George’ - Edwyn’s third and biggest solo album still sounds new three decades later. I really dig that nasal tenor, and his songs;

Southern Empire ‘Another World’ - top notch Antipodean prog that deserves more attention;

Neil Young ‘Before and After’ - Neil dumbing down some of his back catalogue to wondrous effect. But is his CD worth twenty quid? Discuss;

Daryl Hall & John Oates ‘Beauty On A Back Street’ - I thought that wisdom came with advancing years until I heard of these two’s current spat. What a shame, with a back catalogue as strong as theirs. This is one of their less acknowledged albums, yet mighty fine it be;

Derek and the Dominos ‘Layla’ - from Clapton’s most fruitful year - 1970 - came this still fab album. Funny how drug addiction brought about his best work;

Jethro Tull ‘Broadsword and the Beast’ - one of those records I kidded myself I liked back in the day. Not any more. Jethro Dull;

Marillion ‘Web Christmas 2023’ - annual fan club CD recorded live in the Netherlands last March. Fans will dig. The rest, well… you don’t know what you’re missing;

Led Zeppelin ‘Presence’ - my fave Zep LP because, outside of ‘Levee’, Bonzo dominates like nowhere else;

Led Zeppelin ‘When The Levee Breaks’ - which you can take as read I listen to with jaws dropped at least once every week. I’ll mention it no more. My Desert Island Discs choice, played six times with Giulini’s Beethoven Fifth and Hatfield’s ‘Fitter Stoke Has A Bath’ as outriders;

U2 ‘Rattle and Hum’ - one track only: ‘Bullet The Blue Sky’ which, along with ‘An Cat Dubh’ from the NME ‘Dancin Master’ tape, justifies U2’s existence for me. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff;

Pat Metheny ‘80/81’ - Metheny in a more straight jazz setting than was his norm, and all the fresher for it. In fact, this hasn’t dated a jot in over forty years;

Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘At Carnegie Hall’ - one of THE great double live albums, irrespective of genre, with one of the most symbiotic quartets ever brought together by whatever almighty source decreed it. All gone now, alas;

Arild Andersen ‘The Triangle’ - this has been a slow burner, but repeated plays have really brought to light how inventive Vassilis Tsabropoulos’ pianism is. Add the stellar rhythm section of Andersen and John Marshall (RIP) and you’ve got one helluva trio;

Beethoven: Violin Sonata no.1, Op.12 no.1 (Joseph Fuchs & Artur Balsam) - a lovely, cheerful work, played as such here. The Scherzo makes even my rigid pate crack a grin;

Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - vibrant and pointed reading of Beethoven’s sunniest symphony;

Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.5 (BBC SO/Martin Brabbins) - state of the art recording of one of the greatest English symphonic utterances;

Mahler: Das Knaben Wunderhorn (Israel PO/Leonard Bernstein) - really enjoyed hearing this again on BBC4’s Bernstein Night. I fell in love with Lucia Popp hearing her sing this in Edinburgh in 1985 and, seeing this, I did so again. What a voice, and what a tragedy that she passed so early.

There’s got to be a way to break out of this world.

Keep - or at least try - smiling at this most depressing time of year.

Dave x
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2023, 09:37
Dec 17, 2023, 09:37
Some more 45s from 77/78 – this time more dumb than mindless.

999 – Nasty, Nasty | No Pity
999 – Feelin' Alright With The Crew | Titanic (My Over) Reaction | You Can't Buy Me
999 – Homicide | Soldier
Eater – Lock It Up | Jeepster
Eddie & The Hot Rods – Life On The Line | Do Anything You Wanna Do (live)
Horrorcomic – I Don't Mind | England 77
Jet Bronx & The Forbidden – Ain't Doin' Nothin' | I Can't Stand It
The Lurkers – Ain't Got A Clue | Ooh! Ooh! I Love You
Martin And The Brownshirts – Taxi Driver | Boring
Sham 69 – Borstal Breakout | Hey Little Rich Boy
Sham 69 – Hurry Up Harry | No Entry
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Dec 17, 2023, 13:20
Bridget St John - Songs For The Gentle Man

Low - A Lifetime Of Temporary Relief

John Lennon - Mind Games

Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Liverpool

Stina Nordenstam - This Is Stina Nordenstam
Stina Nordenstam - The World Is Saved

Rotary Connection - Peace

Belle & Sebastian - John Peel Christmas Session

Echo & The Bunnymen - Porcupine
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

Windy & Carl - Portal
Windy & Carl - Drawing Of Sound

Paul Simon - Hearts & Bones
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Dec 17, 2023, 16:21
V/A - Les Cousins: The Soundtrack To Soho's Legendary Folk and Blues Club
Slowfoam - Worlding With Earth
Crow Jane - Bound To Me
Mark Eric - A Midsummer's Day Dream
The Damned - Strawberries
Can - Delay 1968
Todd Rundgren - Runt
David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars
Rich Batsford - Mindfulness
Hank Marvin - Throw Down A line: A Taste of Hank Marvin
Van Morrison - Moondance
The Who - Odds & Sods
Graham Parker & The Rumour - The Up Escalator
Gene Loves Jezebel - Promises
Steeleye Span - Please To See The King
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Dec 17, 2023, 20:11
David Bowie - Station To Station / Young Americans / Scary Monsters / Let's Dance

Cabaret Voltaire - Mix Up / Live At The YMCA 27-10-79 / The Voice Of America

Shirley & Dolly Collins - Anthems In Eden / Love, Death & The Lady / Amaranth

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds / Faith / Carnage Visors

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew Live / Jack Johnson / Live-Evil / It's About That Time: Live At The Fillmore East 7-3-70 / Paul's Mall, Boston 9-72

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) / Another Green World / Music For Airports / Thursday Afternoon / The Drop

Inner Sense - Devotion

The Jam - Snap! / Extras

Joy Division - Still / Les Bains-Douches

Kaleidoscope - Pulsating Dreams: The Epic Recordings

Le Stelle Di Mario Schifono - Dedicato A ...

The Leaves - All The Good That's Happening

The Lollipop Shoppe - Just Colour

Midlake - The Tales Of Van Occupanther / The Courage Of Others / Late Night Tales (V/A) / Antiphon

My Bloody Valentine - E.P's 1988-1991 / m.b.v.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells / Hargest Ridge / Ommadawn / Collaborations

Eloah/ Os Orixas - S/t

The Owl Service - A Garland Of Spring / The Burn Comes Down / The View Of A Hill / His Pride, No Spear, No Friend

Pere Ubu - Datapunk In The Year Zero / The Modern Dance

The Residents - The Third Reich'n'Roll / Duck Stab/ Buster & Glen / Eskimo / The Commercial Album

Judee Sill - S/t / Heart Food
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Dec 18, 2023, 09:51
Dec 17, 2023, 21:45
Spirit - Farther Along
Spirit - Spirit of ‘76
Spirit - Future Games … I treat this like a fine wine and play it sparingly. Two years since the last spin. One of my life soundtracks. When I tell people I want it in my grave goods I mean it
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden .. see above
Randy California - Kapt Kopter and The Fabulous Twirlybirds

My Buckethead binge continues… interrupted by assorted live Residents, Rory Gallagher, Steve Miller, Spirit, The Nice, Hendrix, Garcia and Zappa on YT
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 17, 2023, 22:00
I'm Not Following You – Edwyn Collins
Edwyn has made a number of great albums but this is the best for me. It's a right eclectic mix which shows his wide range of influences whilst still being unmistakably Edwyn. Apart from the one with MES on vocals which is also truly fab!

Even Serpents Shine – The Only Ones
One of my fave bands of that era. Inbetweens stood out this week.

Number One In Heaven – Sparks
The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte - Sparks
I've not played TGICIHL much as yet, but there's a couple of tracks - Not Well Defined and When You Leave – that are already starting to sound pretty special. I also watched the 2017 6 Music Glasgow gig which found them on great form.

Also...

Haunted Head – Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds

Modern Antiquarian – Julian Cope

Sea Of Mirrors – The Coral
Holy Joe's Coral Island Medicine Show – The Coral

Private Space - Durand Jones & the Indications
Wait Til I get Over – Durand Jones

Hackney Diamonds – Rolling Stones

Interiors – Vacant Lots
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 18, 2023, 22:49
I saw Sparks in Glasgow earlier this year and reckon the new stuff is even better live. Bless em
Unsung Forum Index