The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Dec 10, 2023, 17:31
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 December 2023 CE
Dec 10, 2023, 09:17
Oh, why didn’t you say… like Stevie Wonder:

Peter Gabriel ‘I/O’ - when a dude’s spent two decades on one album, it should show - and indeed it does. One hearing (of the so-called ‘Bright Side Mix’) reveals not just an immaculately crafted set, but one where there’s real emotion - and some wonderful matching visual artwork - too. I think this is going to grow on me;

Bob Dylan ‘Fallen Angels’ - beautifully played American istandards compromised by closely-miked, croaky and sometimes off key vocals. Only three sobs at Edinburgh Fopp last week, which seems fair enough;

McDonald & Giles S/T - first time I’ve played this in years, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Giles’ beautifully clipped drum style aside, it’s not always easy to associate this with early Crimson. There’s a lovely pastoral edge to proceedings which puts a big smile on my wrinkly face;

David Sylvian ‘Manafon’ - what remains Sylvian’s last collection of “songs” is a beautiful, yet challenging, listen - its only melodic content emanating from the man’s close-miked vocals, whilst all manner of random sounds resonate around them. The list of collaborators reads like a who’s who of contemporary free music;

Peter Hammill ‘Nadir’s Big Chance’ - Hammill’s punk-predicting masterpiece sees him surfing the waters of anything but prog. Amazing to think that ‘Godbluff’ (see below) is contemporary with this;

Peter Hammill ‘In Camera’ - as different a precursor to the above as could be imagined. In a vast catalogue of distinction, ‘Gog’/‘Magog’ reigns supreme: Hammill at his most manic, unleashed and experimental;

Van der Graaf Generator ‘Godbluff’ - Hammill on more familiar ground, not that that means normality. These four songs exhibit anything but. And what a band;

Slowdive ‘Everything Is Alive’ - this has slowly grown inside my psyche to the point where I think it’ll remain special until the end of my days. Any MBV comparisons from the past can be safely put aside, as Slowdive are now much, much better. By the way, I’d now like to replace the Black Star Riders album with this in my 2023 Top Five (I thought early November would be too soon to make lists anyway) and I predict further amendments before the year is out;

Steve Winwood ‘Roll With It’ - I’d love to hear this - and ‘Back In The High Life’ for that matter - in a mix that did away with that awful 80s treble and big drums overkill, because underneath all that bollocks are some decent songs screaming to be loved;

Tangerine Dream ‘Sorcerer’ - a useful way to sample TD’s post-Ohr seventies style in short bursts. It’s a little bitty for my liking but there’s some great music here. Never seen the film;

Eagles ‘One Of These Nights’ - I’ve long since considered this lot Radio 2 fodder, but they do have some edgier deep cuts like ‘Too Many Hands’, ‘Visions’ and ‘Journey To The Sorcerer’ here. Much remains dull, however;

Radiohead ‘Bishop’s Robes’ - there are at least two great compilations that could be made from the myriad non-album single sides, one-offs and live stuff that Radiohead have released over the last thirty years. This ‘Bends’ era gem is typical of their quality;

Tom Verlaine ‘Dreamtime’ - Tom’s second solo LP from 1981 stands up well, with his tortured vocal and angular guitar well highlighted. He’s a big miss;

Alice Cooper ‘Killer’ - all the Alice I really need, much as I dig all of the original band’s LPs. This one’s the keeper;

Marshall Tucker Band S/T - their first, and best, album. Flute adds so much colour to Southern boogie, don’it;

Urs Leimgruber, Jacques Demierre & Barre Phillips ‘Last Concert In Europe At The Space Lucerne’ - two improvised sets of alto, piano and bass encompassing a full gamut of moods from serenity to horror and all points in between. Not exactly wallpaper music;

Arild Andersen ‘The Triangle’ - fairly standard piano jazz enlivened by Andersen’s distinctive bass picking. Good to hear Softs drum master John Marshall (RIP) too;

Miles Davis ‘Cookin’ With The Miles Davis Quintet’ - Miles’ Prestige records were more straight jazz than his more experimental Columbia discs, but they were mightily entertaining. Exhibit A, with still-junkie John Coltrane on fire in ‘Airegin’. Talking of whom:

John Coltrane ‘Coltrane’ - his first album as leader, from the same year as the above. Good, but not yet great;

Mick Goodrick ‘In Pas(s)ing’ - low key but absorbing set by the late lamented Goodrick, featuring John Surman on reeds;

Schubert: Winterreise (Hans Hotter & Michael Raucheisen) - Schubert’s dark paean to loneliness here given its due seriousness by the young Hotter in 1942;

As above (Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau & Gerald Moore) - F-D caught at arguably his technical peak in 1962. Gerald Moore’s accompaniment is so much more prominent than Raucheisen’s here - as it should be;

Brahms: Symphony no.2 (Philadelphia/Eugene Ormandy) - Ormandy’s 1953 recording, properly vibrant where most conductors are not in this work;

Sibelius: Symphony no.5 (Halle/Sir John Barbirolli) - Jean Sibelius’ birthday fell on Dec 8 and I commemorated it by playing my favourite recording of his awesome Fifth Symphony, made by Barbirolli and the Halle in 1966. The build up of power towards the end of the third movement - here played dead slowly - is overwhelming beyond comparison.

Haydn: Symphonies 76 & 77 (Academy of Ancient Music/Christopher Hogwood) - there’s nothing like a good Haydn every now and then, like these two unsung gems from his modest symphonic oeuvre in near-ideal performances;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - the first Beethoven Fifth I ever heard, played on the family radiogram pictured alongside my nom-de-plume above (and yes, that’s yours truly 54 years ago), remains right up there in my top ten from the 200 plus versions I now own. That fast, fiery, and once obscenely cheap MFP LP is now available through Deutsche Grammophon.

If the guitar don’t get ya, the drums will.

Watch it out there, friends

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Dec 10, 2023, 11:08
Bridget St John - Ask Me No Questions

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band - Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band

Bee Gees - Odessa

Pet Shop Boys - Very
Pet Shop Boys - Relentless

The Human League - Reproduction
The Human League - Travelogue
The Human League - Dare
The Human League - Fascination
The Human League - Hysteria

The Police - Ghost In The Machine
The Police - Synchronicity
The Police - Flexible Strategies

Sunn O))) - White1
Sunn O))) - Black One
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions

Scott Walker - Bish Bosch
Scott Walker & Sunn O))) - Soused

Low - I Could Live In Hope
Low - Long Division
Low - The Curtain Hits The Cast
Low - Songs For A Dead Pilot

Stina Nordenstam - Dynamite
Stina Nordenstam - People Are Strange

Joy Division - The Best Of
Joy Division - The John Peel Sessions

Fiction Factory - Throw The Warped Wheel Out
Fiction Factory - Another Story

Once Dreamt - Drifting

Mr And Mrs Smith And Mr Drake - Mr And Mrs Smith And Mr Drake
The Sea Nymphs - The Sea Nymphs
The Sea Nymphs - On The Dry Land

The Beach Boys - Sunflower
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Dec 10, 2023, 15:08
Six mindless bootboy 45s – see you later on the pitch.

Johnny Moped – No One | Incendiary Device
Cock Sparrer – Runnin' Riot | Sister Suzie
The Vibrators – Baby, Baby | Into The Future ...
Slaughter And The Dogs – Where Have All The Boot Boys Gone | You're A Bore
Menace – Screwed Up | Insane Society
The Outcasts – Justa Nother Teenage Rebel | Love Is For Sops
Captain Sensible & The Softies – Jet Boy, Jet Girl | Children Of The Damned
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Dec 10, 2023, 17:25
Dec 10, 2023, 17:23
Hi All, This week has mostly been....

Baader Meinhof - Baader Meinhof
Haines post Auteurs singalong stands up pretty well having not played it for years. Mind you, I've a soft spot for most of his output, so I may be biased.

The North Sea Scrolls - S/T

The Police - Regetta De Blanc
I've never really listened to this other than in the car so didn't notice how poor the 2003 remaster of this is. Seriously, I thought the hifi had gone south there's so much treble. Still, enjoyed it, but will dig out my vinyl next time.

Holger Czukay, U-She - The New Millenium

OMD - Bauhaus Staircase
Not a terrible effort, trying to return to their synth pop roots. The track Slow Train is trying a bit hard to sound like Supernature era Goldfrapp, but y'know, that's OK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGJvNJ6RgM

Eno/Moebius/Roedelius - After The Heat

Found a bunch of early Sonic Youth Booted gigs up on the Internet Archive
Bad Moon Rising is my fav SY album, so enjoyed a few of these.
https://archive.org/search?query=Sonic+Youth+Live+1983
https://archive.org/search?query=Sonic+Youth+Live+1984
https://archive.org/search?query=Sonic+Youth+Live+1985

There's a decent (if v short) series up on sky arse called Record On. Only to episodes so far. About the making of 'landmark' albums. Really enjoyed the New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies episode. Lot's of stuff I'd not heard before. There's also Paul Weller - making of Wildwood episode.

New Order - Substance

Hope you've hung onto your hats during storm Elin. Can't beat a good tramp out in a high wind.
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 10, 2023, 21:58
A few weeks worth here...

Sea Of Mirrors – The Coral
Holy Joe's Coral Island Medicine Show – The Coral
I don't quite understand the two-separate-albums-released-at-the-same-time malarky – a double would surely make more sense - but hey ho, I've finally got round to getting hem both and they sound great on first play!

Morrison Hotel – The Doors
LA Woman – The Doors
Absolutely Live – The Doors
I finished the Robby Krieger book and enjoyed it a lot. Unlike Ray Manzarek's cringey myth enhancing version of life as a Door, Robby's book takes a more nuanced and (seemingly) honest look back at his old band and his subsequent years, including some surprisingly messed up times. I hadn't hear this live double for a long time. Still one of the greatest live sets ever AFAIC.

Trouble On Big Beat Street – Pere Ubu
Only just got this one as well. Worried Man Blues is a corker. And as a new entry in the world of unexpected covers chart, there's a version of Crazy Horses here.

Also...

Flying Wig – Devendra Banhart

Angel's Flight – Biosphere

Songs of Love & Hate – Leonard Cohen

Hope & Despair – Edwyn Collins

Faith – The Cure

Don't Stand Me Down – Dexys Midnight Runners

Pink Moon – Nick Drake

Vertigo Days – The Notwist

Bolan's Zip Gun – T.Rex

Interiors – Vacant Lots
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Dec 11, 2023, 02:58
keith a wrote:
I don't quite understand the two-separate-albums-released-at-the-same-time malarky – a double would surely make more sense - but hey ho, I've finally got round to getting hem both and they sound great on first play!

Couple of crackers from The Coral. What I love most about the band is that they plough their own furrow, and don't really pay that much attention to the whims and changes in the larger music industry. Their records deffo have their own signature sound/vibe. From my understanding, there were supposed to be a variety of vinyl 'editions'. Some 'dinked', some with particular signed prints, some with different covers (a bit like CD singles in the 90's). I guess bands have to maximise their revenue streams somehow in these trying times.

I read something in Roling Stone online the other day to this end "Last year, Frampton sold his publishing catalog to BMG, joining artists like Bob Dylan, Justin Timberlake, and Stevie Nicks in selling music rights for a major payout. For 55 million streams of, 'Baby I Love Your Way', I got $1,700. I went to Washington with ASCAP last year to talk to law makers about this." Nuts! Streaming services seriously take the piss.

Also, You've peaked my interest with the Doors/Kreiger biog. Read a few other reviews and sounds up my street.
LeeHarveyIsInnocent
48 posts

Dec 11, 2023, 11:34
Monganaut wrote:
keith a wrote:

Couple of crackers from The Coral. What I love most about the band is that they plough their own furrow, and don't really pay that much attention to the whims and changes in the larger music industry. Their records deffo have their own signature sound/vibe. From my understanding, there were supposed to be a variety of vinyl 'editions'. Some 'dinked', some with particular signed prints, some with different covers (a bit like CD singles in the 90's). I guess bands have to maximise their revenue streams somehow in these trying times.

I read something in Roling Stone online the other day to this end "Last year, Frampton sold his publishing catalog to BMG, joining artists like Bob Dylan, Justin Timberlake, and Stevie Nicks in selling music rights for a major payout. For 55 million streams of, 'Baby I Love Your Way', I got $1,700. I went to Washington with ASCAP last year to talk to law makers about this." Nuts! Streaming services seriously take the piss.

Also, You've peaked my interest with the Doors/Kreiger biog. Read a few other reviews and sounds up my street.

I will never stream music, or play any suggested Spotify playlists.
Fuck, Bandcamp must be a better business model, even with the bastard new owners.
LeeHarveyIsInnocent
48 posts

Dec 11, 2023, 11:40
ricky nadir wrote:
Six mindless bootboy 45s – see you later on the pitch.

Johnny Moped – No One | Incendiary Device
Cock Sparrer – Runnin' Riot | Sister Suzie
The Vibrators – Baby, Baby | Into The Future ...
Slaughter And The Dogs – Where Have All The Boot Boys Gone | You're A Bore
Menace – Screwed Up | Insane Society
The Outcasts – Justa Nother Teenage Rebel | Love Is For Sops
Captain Sensible & The Softies – Jet Boy, Jet Girl | Children Of The Damned

Great list, keep 'em coming!
Suggest adding "Borstal Breakout" and/or "Hurry Up Harry"!
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Dec 11, 2023, 19:15
Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Eno, Nico - June 1, 1974

The Beach Boys - Today / Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) / Pet Sounds / Smiley Smile

The Beatles - Revolver Sessions (2022) / Yellow Submarine Songtrack

David Bowie - Low / "Heroes" / Lodger

Cluster - S/t / II / Zuckerzeit / Sowiesoso / Grosses Wasser

John Coltrane - Ascension / Om / Sun Ship

Comus - First Utterance / To Keep From Crying

Dr Strangely Strange - Kips Of The Serene / Heavy Petting / Halcyon Days

Flower Travellin' Band - Anywhere / Satori / Make Up / The Times

Paul Giovanni & Magnet - The Wicker Man OST

Gong - In The 70s / Gongmaison / Shapeshifter

Heron Oblivion - S/t

Robyn Hitchcock - Element Of Light / Perspex Island / Uncorrected Personality Traits

Human League - Dare / Love & Dancing

Husker Du - Flip Your Wig / Candy Apple Grey / Warehouse: Songs & Stories

Kraftwerk - Tone Float (Organisation) / S/t / 2 / Ralf & Florian / Autobahn / Radio-Activity

The Last Poets - This Is Madness

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood / Clutching At Straws

Mogwai - Come On Die Young / Rock Action / Government Commissions

Parson Sound - S/t

Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation / Alpha Centuari / Zeit / Atem

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts / Godbluff / Still Life
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index