8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 December 2023 CE
Dec 03, 2023, 09:13
Absolute elsewhere:

Fairport Convention ‘What We Did On Our Holidays’ & ‘Unhalfbricking’ - that these were just two of THREE excellent albums released by Fairport in 1969 seems incredible enough. That the third quickly followed a van crash killing their original drummer (plus RT’s girlfriend) is amazing. That that third release was the genre defining ‘Liege and Lief’ is off the freakin’ planet, man. Ask yourself - honestly - who else ever put out three such stellar albums within the space of one year;

Fairport Convention ‘Liege and Lief’ - yes, their definitive album, if not my personal favourite. Sheeaat, who am I fooling?

Bob Weir ‘Ace’ - effectively a Grateful Dead album in all but name and a mighty enjoyable listen, a few dodgy lyrics notwithstanding;

John Lennon ‘Mind Games’ - ‘Plastic Ono Band’ aside, I’ve always been left a little underwhelmed by Lennon’s solo career. This is probably the best of the rest, but lacks the edge he exhibited in his Beatles years;

Nazareth ‘Surviving the Law’ - the post-Dan Naz are more straight metal than hard rock these days. Frankly, this could be anybody, but the material is strong enough to enjoy on its own terms. Just don’t think of Naz’ glory days;

Carla Bley Band ‘European Tour 1977’ - one of Carla’s most immediate and enjoyable records, a ten piece combo never overwhelming the subtleties of her distinctive, and joyous, compositions. ‘Spangled Banner Minor’ is a hoot! She’s a big miss;

John Coltrane ‘Meditations’ - not all of this is the peaceful oasis for contemplation that the title implies: more an all-pervading melee, especially when Pharoah Sanders appears. But submission to its charms does reap, er, consequences;

Andreas Willers & Urs Leimgruber ‘Pale White Shout’ - totally improvised, yet always inventive and, at times, refreshingly harmonious. Sometimes it’s only the stereo placement that reveals what is alto sax and what is electric guitar;

Mozart: Piano Concerto no.9 ‘Jeunehomme’ (Rudolf Serkin/LSO/Claudio Abbado) - slow, grandiose reading by the aged Serkin, who groans vocal obligati throughout. But my, the sheer class of his playing wins me over;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 ‘Eroica’ (Concertgebouw/Pierre Monteux) - a superb interpretation, balancing incision and lyricism in equal accord. What stellar form the Amsterdam orchestra was in back in ‘62;

Beethoven: Symphony no.6 ‘Pastoral’ (LPO/Klaus Tennstedt) - nigh-on definitive live reading from 1992. I hadn’t realised how good this was until Richard Osbourne highlighted it in his recent Gramophone survey. Right on, man;

Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - my introduction to this symphony as a child still stands up against more acclaimed competition. First movement repeat too: a rare thing in 1957;

Beethoven: String Quartet Op.127 (Doric String Quartet) - despite having enjoyed most of this quartet’s recent recordings, this has left me quite unmoved which, given my love of the work, is surprising. The reading sounds too dreary in places, especially in the slow movement which is one of LvB’s most sublime utterances. Maybe it was my mood. I’ll try it again anon;

Respighi: Violin Sonata (Tasmin Little & Piers Lane) - beautiful, rhapsodic music performed with suitable feeling and panache. Tasmin’s Chandos records always sound great;

Brahms: Cello Sonata no.2 (Mstislav Rostropovich & Rudolf Serkin) - a meeting of two great minds in a truly profound reading of this late Brahms masterpiece. Signature stuff.

Love is the answer.

Keep warm, dudes

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index