Edited Dec 03, 2023, 02:50
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 December 2023 CE
Dec 03, 2023, 02:48
Wishbone Ash - Argus

Paul Haslinger - Halt and Catch Fire Original Television Series Soundtrack

Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Traffic - st

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Strawberries Mean Love

Grateful Dead - What a Long Strange Trip It's Been (disc 1)

O Yuki Conjugate - Peyote

Ennio Morricone - Il Diavolo Nel Cervello

Debussy - Michael Tilson Thomas, Philharmonia Orchestra, Ambrosian Singers – La Mer • Nocturnes

Dvorák, Russian Philharmonic Orchestra, Dmitry Yablonsky, Alexander Trostianski – American Suite / Silent Woods / Prague Waltzes / Mazurkas
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2023, 08:19
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 December 2023 CE
Dec 03, 2023, 08:18
The Beatles - Revolver (2022 mix) / Rarities (UK comp) / Sessions 1962-1969

Don Cherry - Organic Music Society / Eternal Now / Brown Rice

The Damned - The Black Album / Light At The End Of The Tunnel

The Doors - Strange Days / Waiting For The Sun

Brian Eno - Another Green World / Discreet Music / Before & After Science / Music For Films / 801 Live

Marc Eric - A Midsummer's Daydream

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Goat - World Music / Commune / Live Ballroom Ritual / Requiem

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# oo / Asunder, Sweet & Under Distress

Nico Gomez & His Afro Percussion Inc - Ritual

Gong - You / 25th Birthday Party / She Made The World Magenta (Mother Gong) / Electric Shiatsu (Goddess T) / I Am Your Egg (Orlando Allen, Gilli Smyth & Daevid Allen)

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King / In The Wake Of Poseidon / Lizard

Love - S/t / Da Capo

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear (2020 mix) / Fugazi

Charles Mingus - Pithecathropus Erectus / Tijuana Moods / Blues & Roots

Andy Partridge - My Failed Songwriting Career Vols 1-2 / My Failed Christmas Career Vol 1

Quintessence - Move Into The Light: The Complete Island Recordings 1969-1971

Robyn Hitchcock - You & Oblivion / Moss Elixir

The Roches - S/t

Roger Rodier - Upom Velveatur

Small Faces - S/t (Immediate) / Ogdens Nut Gone Celebrated Cake / 1862 (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Bob Smith - The Visit

Tea & Symphony - An Asylum For The Musically Insane

V/A - Lost Highway OST

Mozart - Amedeus OST (Neville Marriner/ Academy Of St Martin-in-the-Fields)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Dec 03, 2023, 09:13
Absolute elsewhere:

Fairport Convention ‘What We Did On Our Holidays’ & ‘Unhalfbricking’ - that these were just two of THREE excellent albums released by Fairport in 1969 seems incredible enough. That the third quickly followed a van crash killing their original drummer (plus RT’s girlfriend) is amazing. That that third release was the genre defining ‘Liege and Lief’ is off the freakin’ planet, man. Ask yourself - honestly - who else ever put out three such stellar albums within the space of one year;

Fairport Convention ‘Liege and Lief’ - yes, their definitive album, if not my personal favourite. Sheeaat, who am I fooling?

Bob Weir ‘Ace’ - effectively a Grateful Dead album in all but name and a mighty enjoyable listen, a few dodgy lyrics notwithstanding;

John Lennon ‘Mind Games’ - ‘Plastic Ono Band’ aside, I’ve always been left a little underwhelmed by Lennon’s solo career. This is probably the best of the rest, but lacks the edge he exhibited in his Beatles years;

Nazareth ‘Surviving the Law’ - the post-Dan Naz are more straight metal than hard rock these days. Frankly, this could be anybody, but the material is strong enough to enjoy on its own terms. Just don’t think of Naz’ glory days;

Carla Bley Band ‘European Tour 1977’ - one of Carla’s most immediate and enjoyable records, a ten piece combo never overwhelming the subtleties of her distinctive, and joyous, compositions. ‘Spangled Banner Minor’ is a hoot! She’s a big miss;

John Coltrane ‘Meditations’ - not all of this is the peaceful oasis for contemplation that the title implies: more an all-pervading melee, especially when Pharoah Sanders appears. But submission to its charms does reap, er, consequences;

Andreas Willers & Urs Leimgruber ‘Pale White Shout’ - totally improvised, yet always inventive and, at times, refreshingly harmonious. Sometimes it’s only the stereo placement that reveals what is alto sax and what is electric guitar;

Mozart: Piano Concerto no.9 ‘Jeunehomme’ (Rudolf Serkin/LSO/Claudio Abbado) - slow, grandiose reading by the aged Serkin, who groans vocal obligati throughout. But my, the sheer class of his playing wins me over;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 ‘Eroica’ (Concertgebouw/Pierre Monteux) - a superb interpretation, balancing incision and lyricism in equal accord. What stellar form the Amsterdam orchestra was in back in ‘62;

Beethoven: Symphony no.6 ‘Pastoral’ (LPO/Klaus Tennstedt) - nigh-on definitive live reading from 1992. I hadn’t realised how good this was until Richard Osbourne highlighted it in his recent Gramophone survey. Right on, man;

Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - my introduction to this symphony as a child still stands up against more acclaimed competition. First movement repeat too: a rare thing in 1957;

Beethoven: String Quartet Op.127 (Doric String Quartet) - despite having enjoyed most of this quartet’s recent recordings, this has left me quite unmoved which, given my love of the work, is surprising. The reading sounds too dreary in places, especially in the slow movement which is one of LvB’s most sublime utterances. Maybe it was my mood. I’ll try it again anon;

Respighi: Violin Sonata (Tasmin Little & Piers Lane) - beautiful, rhapsodic music performed with suitable feeling and panache. Tasmin’s Chandos records always sound great;

Brahms: Cello Sonata no.2 (Mstislav Rostropovich & Rudolf Serkin) - a meeting of two great minds in a truly profound reading of this late Brahms masterpiece. Signature stuff.

Love is the answer.

Keep warm, dudes

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Dec 03, 2023, 11:22
Pentangle - Reflection

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up

Scott Walker - Climate Of Hunter
Scott Walker - Tilt
Scott Walker - The Drift

Bee Gees - Idea

The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
The Police - Regatta De Blanc
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta

Bob Dylan - New York Skyline (soniclovenoize reconstruction)

Simon Joyner - The Cowardly Traveller Pays His Toll
Simon Joyner - Heaven's Gate

Space Needle - Voyager
Space Needle - The Moray Eels Eat The Space Needle

Propaganda - Noise & Girls Come Out To Play: A Compact Introduction To...

Mercury Rev - Snowflake Midnight/Strange Attractor
Mercury Rev - The Light In You
Mercury Rev - Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweete Revisited

Cardiacs - On Land & In The Sea
Cardiacs - Heaven Born & Ever Bright
Cardiacs - Sing To God
Cardiacs - Guns
Cardiacs - Ditzy Scene/Vermin Mangle

Black Sabbath - 13
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Dec 03, 2023, 12:02
The Monkees- Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd
Donovan- A Gift From A Flower To A Garden
Kevin Ayers- Joy Of A Toy
David Johansen- Here Comes The Night
The Rolling Stones- Jump Back
Phil May & The Fallen Angels- S/T
Man- Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day
T.Rex- Electric Warrior
T.Rex- Billy Super Duper
Roy Wood- Boulders
Bram Tchaikovsky- Strange Man, Changed Man
The Boomtown Rats- S/T
Doll By Doll- Remember

The Bevis Frond- Focus On Nature
Misophone- A Floodplain Mind
Ian M Bailey- We Live in Strange Times
Will Gardner- Remains
Lone Bison- Wave Construction
Def.Fo- Eternity
Smokey Angle Shades- Let Go Of The Past

Scott Fagan- South Atlantic Blues
V/A- Les Cousins: The Soundtrack Of Soho's Legendary Folk & Blues Club
V/A- Mojo presents Heavy Nuggets 6
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Dec 03, 2023, 17:37
Julian Cope - Trip Advizer, Saint Julian(Expanded Edition). Not many wrong moves in the compilaton of the former, the 2nd disc perhaps better in the latter!

Jowe Head - Diabolical Liberties - From a Parallel Universe

John (times two) - Nocturnal Manoeuvres. Solid enough effort. Reminds me of the guitar sound from Killing Joke

Johnny Flynn - Been Listening. Not quite. Well I wasn't after the first couple tracks

Johnny Clarke - Rockers Time Now

George Clanton - Ooh Rap I ya - Slide. No thanks

Clogs - Thoms Night Out. Quite nice Contemplative Chamber Orchestra fare.

John Luther Adams - Become Ocean

Carbon Based Lifeforms - World of Sleepers. Recent, quite pleasing recommendation. Kinda reminds me of 90's Leftfield.

Joe Gibbs & the Professionals - African Dub All-mighty Chapter 1. Now this really is rather good

JJ Cale - Troubadour - Naturally

Jeffrey Lewis - Asides and B-sides - Bad Wiring - Works by Tuli Kupferburg. Bad Wiring is essential listening for JL fans. Asides is ok, the latter not quite so.

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Melanie De Biasio - No Deal

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch. Playful.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2023, 17:46
Dec 03, 2023, 17:44
Simple Minds - Empires and Dance

Broadcast - Maida Vale Sessions

Vanishin Twin - Afternoon X

Cluster - Cluster

Panda Bear/Sonic Boom remixed by Adrian Sherwood - Reset In Dub
Not really a fan of Panda Bear, tho the Sherwood treatment is a deffo improvement. https://pandabearmusic.bandcamp.com/album/reset-in-dub

Lotus Eaters - Plasma
No not those Lotus Eaters, minimal tech Rrose and Lucy.

Holger Czukay and U-She - Millenium
I hadn't realised that U-She was Holgers wife. Rather sadly she died only a few months prior to Holger. I'd say this is the better of their collaborations, even a sample of his collab with Sylvian Plight and Premonition turns up on one track.

Grumbling Fur - Glenaestra/ Alice (Latitudes EP)
I'd been trying and failing for ages to remember the name of GF, then I saw a pic of Tilda Swinton in the Grauniad and remembered they had a track with her name in the title. Dug out the long searched for record. I recall really enjoying Glenaestra back in 2013 when GF were a biggish noise in the underground, but it left me feeling a bit meh this week. Whereas, lead track off the 'Alice' Latitudes EP 'Wylderness Waiting' is still my fave GF track. I find it strangeley uplifting.
WW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WHtiY5BaE
Seem to have inadvertantly picked up a few of those Latitudes EP's, most are worth your time. Would love it if they put out a comp of them, but truth be told, there probably isn't mush interest these days.

White Magic - Through the Sun Door/ Dat Rosa Mel Apibus
Latitudes EP led to dig out this psych folk duo. Mid/early 2000's was an interesting time for music, well it is to me.

Various - The Outer Church 2CD/ Front and Follow - Lessons 2CD
Coupla nice collection of hauntological strangeness. Featuring much of the big names in the field of the time. Deffo worth your time if it's your kinda thig and you've not heard them.
FF-L https://fandf.bandcamp.com/album/lessons
TOC - https://fandf.bandcamp.com/album/the-outer-church?from=search&search_item_id=1204792557&search_item_type=a&search_match_part=%3F&search_page_id=3007556867&search_page_no=1&search_rank=1&search_sig=57f5aecfce962523d277932c2a983496

Various - Soul Jazz - Cold Wave #1
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Dec 08, 2023, 19:30
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Absolute elsewhere:

John Lennon ‘Mind Games’ - ‘Plastic Ono Band’ aside, I’ve always been left a little underwhelmed by Lennon’s solo career. This is probably the best of the rest, but lacks the edge he exhibited in his Beatles years;

x

Not disagreeing with you (on the album or Lennon's solo work), but I rate "Mind Games" for no other reason than it has one of Lennon's all-time best rockers: "Meat City." I love that song and always have since I picked up "Mind Games" on vinyl sometime in the '90s. There's a single version of the song that is slightly different, which so far as I know has never been re-issued, at least on vinyl.

As for Lennon's solo albums, oddly enough the LP I return to most over the years has been "Rock 'n' Roll." Despite all the issues surrounding its production, that record does indeed rock ("Bony Moronie" a particular favorite -- another heavy rocker from John), and Lennon's voice is phenomenal throughout the album. Might even be some of his best vocals ever.
Unsung Forum Index