Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2023 CE
Nov 26, 2023, 06:39
Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Wake Up...It's Tomorrow

Strawberry Alarm Clock - The World in a Sea Shell

Jethro Tull - This Was (mono)

Jethro Tull - War Child (disc 2 of SDE)

Jethro Tull - Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast Live

Steeleye Span - The Lark in the Morning (disc 2)

Aphrodite's Child - The End of the World

Forrest Fang - Forever Cascades

The John Coltrane Quartet - Africa/Brass

o yuki conjugate - undercurrents in dark water

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant

The Clash - st

Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas OST

Cocteau Twins - Bluebeard EP

Krzysztof Penderecki, Nancy Van de Vate – Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima, Viola Concerto • Chernobyl, Concerto No1 For Violin And Orchestra

V.A. - St. Louis Blues 1929-1935 (Yazoo 1030)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2023, 10:49
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2023 CE
Nov 26, 2023, 09:26
Crying won’t help you. Crying will do you no good:

Aereogramme ‘My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go’ - the fourth and final album from the finest band ever to come out of Glasgow. C’mon guys, reform - I need more, and I’m sure I’m not alone;

Kiss ‘Ikons’ - comp from a few years back that allocates a CD apiece to each original member, drawing from the 1978 solo albums as well as group tracks. And surprisingly it’s the Peter Criss disc that delivers the most, his gutteral voice shining through some of Kiss’ most unsung songs - and I don’t mean ‘Beth’. Mind you, Ace Frehley’s ain’t half bad either. His ‘Into The Void’ is a late period gem that got swamped on ‘Psycho Circus’, methinks;

The Cure ‘Boys Don’t Cry’ - The Cure’s spiky debut album has always hit my pleasure button, in either its UK or US guises; in fact, I prefer it to their more acclaimed work. Their early singles still get my toes a-tapping;

The Cure ‘Faith’ - this ain’t bad either, mind. Strangely uplifting in its depressing way;

Wire ‘Pink Flag’ - can you think of any other single album with 21 uniformly fabulous tracks? Well can you?

Led Zeppelin ‘Physical Graffiti’ - the first record of which is nigh-on perfect, the second patchier, but the whole just… phwoor. John Bonham: the only drummer to render comparison with anyone else futile. Talking of whom:

Led Zeppelin ‘When The Levee Breaks’ - their greatest track, and the most awesome album closer EVER. Don’t argue;

Steven Wilson ‘The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)’ - the only truly “prog” release of Wilson’s solo career carries its influences on its sleeve, but fuses them into a very individual whole;

Rush ‘A Farewell To Kings’ - from that time when Geddy Lee’s voice was just on the wrong side of grating, but the music strong enough to withstand it;

Tangerine Dream ‘Phaedra’ - not their best known album for nothing. This just seems to improve with each passing decade, and always sounds fresh. Play loud;

The Beatles ‘Rubber Soul’ - with just one semi-clunker (‘Michelle’), this is my fave Fabs album, especially in mono. Beep beep beep beep yeah;

Guy Garvey ‘Courting The Squall’ - that Guy’s solo album sounds much like an Elbow release isn’t surprising. That it’s at least as good as one IS. Took a few plays - and nine years - to really hit me, mind;

Fotheringay S/T - no other lady’s voice soothed, moved and cajoled more than Sandy’s, especially around 1970 when this wonderfully downbeat album was crafted;

John Foxx ‘London Overgrown’ - music to lower the blood pressure. Well, it does mine;

Van der Graaf Generator ‘Still Life’ - hard to pick this as Hammill’s greatest achievement amongst at least ten other contenders, but it leaves me so exhilarated I can’t think of a finer one. Doubters: stream ‘La Rossa’ and tell me I’m wrong;

Hank Williams Jnr ‘Strong Stuff’ - well, not that strong actually, but ok in its pre-“new country” sort of way;

Debussy: Images (Boston SO/Michael Tilson Thomas) and Poulenc: Organ Concerto (Simon Preston/Boston SO/Seiji Ozawa) - two excellent recordings streamed on WCRB last night. I discovered the channel quite by accident, and I’m glad I did;

Poulenc: 3 Mouvements perpétuals & Napoli Suite (Arthur Rubinstein) - the recordings may be ancient, but the artistry is undiminished. Lovely music, beautifully rendered by a piano legend;

Brahms: Violin Sonatas (Tasmin Little & Piers Lane) - other recordings may be more profound, but Little and Lane really bring out the beauty in these scores;

Beethoven: Andante favori, WoO57 (Alfred Brendel) - Beethoven’s rejected first thoughts for his ‘Waldstein’ second movement makes a lovely listen in its own right, especially under Brendel;

Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.31 no.2 ‘Tempest’ (Wilhelm Kempff) - played last night, on what would have been Kempff’s 128th birthday. Intensity without histrionics but with taste: that was his greatness;

Rudolf Serkin ‘The Lost Tapes’ - newly unearthed recordings of two more Beethoven sonatas, played with all the wisdom of Serkin’s years yet with dexterity and panache quite unbecoming of an old man. Mean value in terms of playing time, but artistically worth every penny. I’ve never heard a better ‘Waldstein’, and to confirm it I played Bernard Roberts, Brendel, Schnabel, Barenboim, Solomon and Kempff in the same work: all good to great, but this “new” Serkin really has something special;

And the tap drips (drip drip drip drip drip)

Good vibes to all

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Nov 26, 2023, 15:25
The Dream Academy - The Morning Lasted All Day: A Retrospective

Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die

Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering
Vashti Bunyan - Heartleap

Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Elton John - The Captain & The Kid

Yo La Tengo - There's A Riot Going On (the loud guitars make a welcome return after the unassuming and underwhelming There's A Riot Going On, but somehow this isn't as memorable as earlier YLT classics)

Pet Shop Boys - Introspective
Liza Minelli/Pet Shop Boys - Results

The Walker Brothers - No Regrets
The Walker Brothers - Lines
The Walker Brothers - Nite Flights
Scott Walker - This Is How You Disappear
Scott Walker - Scott On Screen

Cardiacs - The Seaside
Cardiacs - Songs For Ships & Irons
Cardiacs - A Little Man & A House & The Whole World Window

Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity

Thompson Twins - Here's To Future Days
Thompson Twins - Close To The Bone

Amp - Astralmoonbeamprojections

The Apples In Stereo - Science Faire

Bee Gees - Horizontal
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2023, 16:07
Nov 26, 2023, 15:27
Lambchop - Flotus
Tangerine Dream - Poland/ Le Parc
(saw them in Manchester recently… current lineup fine by me. Enjoyed)
Associates - Sulk
Yin Yin - The Rabbit That Hunts Tigers … nice
Alfa Mist - Structuralism/ Antiphon
Brinsley Schwarz - s/t
Badbadnotgood - BBNG2
Kolyma - Exit Strategy
Yussef Dayes - Black Classical Music
Vieux Farka Toure + Khruangbin - Ali
Solar Fields - Formations
Skinshape - Nostalgia
Ahmad Jamal - Tranquility
Pharaoh Sanders - Pharaoh/ Kazuko - Live in an abandoned tunnel (YT)
Hugh Mundell- Mundell ‘85
Allah-Las - s/t
Lee Perry - Roast Fish and Cornbread
Liquify - Lost In Time
Morphine - The Night
Joni Mitchell - Archives Vol 3
Isley Brothers - 3+3
V/A - Essiebons Special (1973-84)
Various steam engines - Steam on the Lickey … another time: atmosphere to the max. Play loud
Buckethead - Beautiful Moments That Last (new track on YT)
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Nov 26, 2023, 16:21
Don Cherry - Organic Music Society / Brown Rice

Cocteau Twins - Treasure / Tiny Dynamine EP / Echoes In A Shallow Bay EP / Victorialand / The Moon & The Melodies (with Harold Budd)

Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery / Journey In Satchidananda / Live At The Carnegie Hall 1971

Julian Cope - Rite At Ya / John Balance Enters Valhalla / Robin Hood / Copes Notes #5: A Modern Antiquarian
Dope - Dope On Drugs / Village Idiot Dope

Faust - S/t / The Faust Tapes

The Freak Scene - Psychedelic Psoul

The Fugs - It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest

The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of Onion / The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (mono)

Nico - Chelsea Girl / The Marble Index / Desertshore / The End
The Velvet Underground & Nico -S/t

Harry Nilsson - Pandemonium Shadow Show / Arial Ballet / Arial Pandemonium Ballet

Psychic TV - N.Y. Scum Haters / Live In Reykjavik / A Real Swedish Live Show

Radiohead - OK Computer / Kid A / Amnesiac

Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon

Rotary Connection - Songs / Hey Love

Pharoah Sanders - Anthology: You've Got To Have Freedom

Simple Minds - Life In A Day

Siouxsie & The Bansees - The Scream / Join Hands

Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements (DE) / Emperor Tomato Ketchup (DE) / Turn On / Aluminum Tunes

The The - Soul Mining / Infected

13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds Of ... / Easter Everywhere / A Love That's Sound / Bull Of The Woods

Frank Zappa/ Mothers - Lumpy Money / Hot Rats / The Grand Wazoo

V/A/ Amorphous Androgynous - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol 2: Pagan Love Vibrations / A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol 3: Third Ear
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2023, 11:14
Nov 27, 2023, 11:13
Roedelius - Tape Archive Essence 1973?-?1978
Some top noises included here. https://roedelius-official.bandcamp.com/album/tape-archive-essence-1973-1978

Faust - Tapes, Ravvivando

Cluster - Cluster II, Zuckerzeit

Vanishing Twin - Afternoon Exchange

Coil - ANS, Moons Milk In Four Phases, Remote Viewer, Comp of Comps (Self CDr)

Einstürzende Neubauten - Strategies....Vol 2-4, Halber Mensch
Did they ever get better than Halber Mensch? Not as far as I'm concerned.

Martin Rev - The Sum of Our Wounds (Cassette Recordings 1973-85)
https://martin-rev.bandcamp.com/album/the-sum-of-our-wounds-cassette-recordings-1973-85

Slayer - Reign In Blood
When you're in a certain kinda mood do you even need another thrash album!
Stick with the best, all killer, no filler.

Nik Turner - Space Ritual live 1994
How I wish I'd seen one of these shows, great sounds and musicianship, with a band consisting of such luminaries as Helios Creed Hawkwind alumni Del Dettmar and Alan Powell and even Psychic TV's Genesis P-Orridge. Great mix of Turner Calvert and Hawkwind classix. https://nikturnermusic.bandcamp.com/album/space-ritual-1994

Plastikman - Musik

Disrupt - Foundation Bit

Simple Minds - Sister Feelings Call

Broadcast - Maida Vale Sessions

Keep keepin' on!
Unsung Forum Index