Edited Jan 03, 2024, 19:56
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 November 2023 CE
Jan 03, 2024, 19:48
keith a wrote:
S/T – The Doors
Strange Days – The Doors
Waiting For The Sun – The Doors
The Soft Parade – The Doors
I've started reading Robby Krieger's Set The Night On Fire book, so I thought I'd listen to some of their albums. The first couple are total classics in my opinion and nothing – not even LA Woman comes close for me. That said they all have moments and some numbers on WFTS sound better than ever now. As for the book...well I'm enjoying it so far and unlike Ray Manzarek's almost laughably pretentious Doors bio, there seems to be a complete lack 'Dionysus' references thus far!

Coincidentally I finally got around to picking up a copy of Sugerman/Hopkins's "No One Here Gets Out Alive," Dell paperback edition from 1980. I've been aware of this book for decades but just never read it, no idea why. I haven't started it yet but perused the preface and noted that Sugerman therein claims he believes Jim Morrison is "a god." So I already know I'm in for a good read!

Anyway I just wanted to note that personally my favorite Doors song ever is the title track off "The Soft Parade." No one ever mentions that song and it's not on any of the greatest hits comps I'm aware of -- and of course it's never on "classic rock radio" -- but I think it's even better than any of their more-famous "epic" tracks (ie "The End," etc). It also proves that Morrison did indeed have a sense of humor, as evidenced by the back-and-forth he carries out with himself via dual vocals ("This is the best part of the trip...the part I like.../What'd he say?")

Unsung Forum Index