Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 November 2023 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 November 2023 CE
Nov 19, 2023, 04:52
Jethro Tull - This Was (mono)

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - War Child (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - Live in Concert 1977

Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - Stormwatch (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - A (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - Live in Germany 1982 (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock

buzzcocks time's up
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2023, 09:15
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 November 2023 CE
Nov 19, 2023, 09:13
Bin messin’ round the Messipotamia:

Catherine Wheel ‘Ferment’ - incredible that music sounding as fresh and invigorating as this is now over 30 years old. I wasn’t exactly young when I first this but, whatever;

Rory Gallagher S/T - his first, and still to my mind best, solo album. Always lifts me when I’m low;

Frazey Ford ‘Indian Ocean’ - bittersweet songs from a honey-voiced Canadian singer-songwriter who deserves greater recognition;

DouBt ‘Never Pet A Burning Dog’ - featuring the archbishop of the Canterbury Scene, Richard Sinclair, on three tracks: appropriate for what comes across like a supercharged Hatfields;

Byrds ‘The Notorious Byrd Brothers’ - I’m ashamed to say that I’ve only just heard this for the first time this week and my, how fab it is. These guys sound like old men looking back - but they weren’t. Unlike me. Seriously, this sounds to me like the birth of country rock… well, alongside ‘Sweetheart of the Rodeo’ anyway;

Patto ‘Roll’em, Smoke’em, Put Another Line Out’ - a melee of super-funky vibes, some well-dodgy humour and one of the heaviest rock tracks ever to hit plastic - well, up to 1972 anyway;

Brian Eno ‘Thursday Afternoon’ - perfect background music for a, er, Thursday afternoon;

Steve Hillage ‘Live Herald’ - specifically the four studio tracks on Side 4, which to my mind he’s never bettered;

Julian Cope ‘Cope’s Notes #5: The Modern Antiquarian’ - which is threatening to become not only the best Cope’s Notes yet, but also my favourite Cope album… yes, really;

Miles Davis ‘Filles de Kilimanjaro’ - Miles’ first steps into electronic lands featured enough straight jazz to keep the purists happy, and loadsa great soloing: in fact, I don’t think his technique was ever stronger than here. Wayne Shorter cooks too;

Chick Corea, David Holland & Barry Alschul ‘A.R.C.’ - a free jazz riot with just enough lyricism to sustain interest;

Britten: String Quartet in D & Phantasy Quartet, Op.2 (Gabrieli Quartet) - I’m a little ambivalent about Britten, much of whose vocal music I find difficult, but whose instrumental music usually brings pleasure. These are two excellent examples of the latter;

Ireland: Violin Sonata no.2 & Richard Strauss: Violin Sonata, Op.18 (Tasmin Little & Piers Lane) - suitably emotive renditions of two unsung chamber works;

Beethoven: String Quartet no.1, Op.18 no.1 (Doric String Quartet) - with the Chiaroscuros, there are now two ongoing Beethoven Quartet cycles by excellent young ensembles with very different approaches. The Dorics play modern instruments with period bows and minimal vibrato, to great effect;

George Lloyd: Symphony no.1 (Albany SO/George Lloyd) - totally undemanding, pleasant music - and that’s meant as praise, not indifference. I’ve just heard (from the George Lloyd Society) that Lloyd’s catalogue will be reissued en masse in 2024/25, which is great news for admirers of his muse - like me;

Haydn: Symphony no.95 (New Philharmonia/Otto Klemperer) - Haydn doesn’t get played like this any more, which some consider just as well. I don’t. It’s so much easier to appreciate his art with a serious approach, much as I acknowledge the “authentic” stylings of the present day;

Suppe: Beautiful Galatea Overture/Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.2 (w.Serkin)/Tchaikovsky: Capriccio italien/Sibelius: Symphony no.4 (all Philadelphia/Eugene Ormandy) - these 1953-54 recordings demonstrate one of the world’s most virtuosic orchestras at their peak under the underrated (at least in the UK) Ormandy. The Tchaikovsky is the most viscerally exciting account of the score I’ve ever heard;

As above (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - another sublime orchestra/conductor combo, this time in stereo recordings from the 60s and 70s. Comparisons? Weissenberg and Karajan make unnecessarily heavy weather of the Beethoven concerto, but otherwise it’s pretty close. Karajan’s Sibelius 4 is much slower and darker than Ormandy’s, to that most sombre of work’s advantage. But Ormandy takes the mantle for me in the Tchaikovsky and - marginally - the Suppe. What the hell, I dug ‘em both;

Think on.

Best to all

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Nov 19, 2023, 10:33
The Beatles - Sgt Peppers (50th) / Magical Mystery Tour / Esher Demos

Captain Beefheart - Mirror Man Sessions / Strictly Personal / Trout Mask Replica / Lick My Decals Off, Baby

Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind / Just Another Diamond Day / Lookaftering / Heartleap

Cocteau Twins - Garlands / Head Over Heels / Sunburst & Snowblind

Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven / In Europe / My Funny Valentine / Four & More / Miles In Tokyo / Miles In Berlin / Greatest Hits

Brian Eno - (No Pussy Footing) (with Fripp) / Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy / Another Green World / Evening Star (with Fripp)

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch / Last Date

The Flaming Lips - The Terror / Dark Side Of The Moon / Playing Hide & Seek With The Ghosts Of Dawn

The Free Design - You Could Be Born Again / Heaven/Earth / The Best Of (Cherry Red)

Fugazi - S/t / Margin Walker

Harmonia - Muzik Von ... / Deluxe

The Incredible String Band - Changing Horses / Relics Of ...

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King / Red

Clint Mansell / Kronos Quartet - Requiem For A Dream

John Martyn - Solid Air / Inside Out / Sunday's Child

Charles Mingus - Mingus Dynasty / Mingus Ah Um

The Smoke (Michael Lloyd) - S/t

Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret

The Soft Machine - Vol 1 / Vol 2

Third World War - The First Album / TWW 2

Throbbing Gristle - The First Annual Report / The Second Annual Report / D.o.A: The Third & Final Report

Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney / On The Shore

Jane Weaver - Loops In The Secret Society / Flock

V/A - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol 1: Cosmic Space Music (Amorphous Androgynous)
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Nov 19, 2023, 11:21
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Sabotage

John Lennon - Rock & Roll
John Lennon - Menlove Ave

Scott Walker - Til The Band Comes In
Scott Walker - In My Room
Scott Walker - Where's The Girl?
Scott Walker - An American In Europe
Scott Walker - The Moviegoer
Scott Walker - Any Day Now
Scott Walker - Stretch
Scott Walker - We Had It All

Pet Shop Boys - Alternative

Yo La Tengo - There's A Riot Going On
Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World

Rokorokubi - Saturn In Pisces
Rokorokubi - Iris, Flower Of Violence

Gwenifer Raymond - You Never Were Much Of A Dancer
Gwenifer Raymond - Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record

Elton John - Caribou
Elton John - Here And There

Cardiacs - The Obvious Identity
Cardiacs - Toy World
Cardiacs - Archive Cardiacs

Thompson Twins - Quick Step & Side Kick
Thompson Twins - Into The Gap

Bee Gees - 1st
keith a
9573 posts

Nov 19, 2023, 21:58
S/T – The Doors
Strange Days – The Doors
Waiting For The Sun – The Doors
The Soft Parade – The Doors
I've started reading Robby Krieger's Set The Night On Fire book, so I thought I'd listen to some of their albums. The first couple are total classics in my opinion and nothing – not even LA Woman comes close for me. That said they all have moments and some numbers on WFTS sound better than ever now. As for the book...well I'm enjoying it so far and unlike Ray Manzarek's almost laughably pretentious Doors bio, there seems to be a complete lack 'Dionysus' references thus far!

Taxi – Bryan Ferry
90's cover version album and it's fair to say that pretty much all the songs sound like what you'd expect 90's covers by Ferry to sound like. Some (Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow) probably work better than others (the so-so take on All Tomorrow's Parties), but the pick for me is comfortably the opening Put A Spell On You which he really makes his own.

Also...

Spume & Recollection - Driftmachine

The Love Invention – Alison Goldfrapp
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Nov 20, 2023, 10:07
Coupla weeks worth...

Boredoms - Vision Creation New Sun, Super Ae, Super Roots 3-5-6-7

Duster - Stratosphere
90's lo fi, new to me, decent enough, sound like a lot of bands from the time.

Writhing Squares - Out of the Ether
If Cavern of Antimatter had a more r'n'r heart and teamed up with DFA 1979;s bass player and the Stooges skronking Steve McKay it may come out sounding a little like this. https://thewrithingsquares.bandcamp.com/album/out-of-the-ether
If you follow the link, and it floats yer boat, Chalky's up on ebay have the mose recent album fer sale for £3.60 delivered (new).

Coil - ANS, Limoges, Lodz, Rarites (self compiled)
Hard to believe it was 19 years since Balance passed. Always viewd ANS as Time Machines poor relation, but have enjoyed it more than ever this last week.

Tony Conrad & Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate
Another that never really gelled with me. Loved it ths last week tho.

Walter Wegmuller -Tarot

Cluster - S/T. II, Zuckerzeit, Sowiesoso

Tony Conrad - Four Violins

DAF - S/T

Slab! - Descension

Have been re-reading Keenans Englands Hidden Reverse. Always thought he'd be one of those dire, worthy nutsacks (Wire Journo to boot). Caught a few youtwat vids with him and it couldn't be further from the truth. Seem you feed him a question, light the touchpaper and stand back. Tbh, I could do with my own pocket Keenan at the mo, might cheer me up and spur me on.

Anyhoo, keep keepin' on. x
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Edited Jan 03, 2024, 19:56
Jan 03, 2024, 19:48
keith a wrote:
S/T – The Doors
Strange Days – The Doors
Waiting For The Sun – The Doors
The Soft Parade – The Doors
I've started reading Robby Krieger's Set The Night On Fire book, so I thought I'd listen to some of their albums. The first couple are total classics in my opinion and nothing – not even LA Woman comes close for me. That said they all have moments and some numbers on WFTS sound better than ever now. As for the book...well I'm enjoying it so far and unlike Ray Manzarek's almost laughably pretentious Doors bio, there seems to be a complete lack 'Dionysus' references thus far!

Coincidentally I finally got around to picking up a copy of Sugerman/Hopkins's "No One Here Gets Out Alive," Dell paperback edition from 1980. I've been aware of this book for decades but just never read it, no idea why. I haven't started it yet but perused the preface and noted that Sugerman therein claims he believes Jim Morrison is "a god." So I already know I'm in for a good read!

Anyway I just wanted to note that personally my favorite Doors song ever is the title track off "The Soft Parade." No one ever mentions that song and it's not on any of the greatest hits comps I'm aware of -- and of course it's never on "classic rock radio" -- but I think it's even better than any of their more-famous "epic" tracks (ie "The End," etc). It also proves that Morrison did indeed have a sense of humor, as evidenced by the back-and-forth he carries out with himself via dual vocals ("This is the best part of the trip...the part I like.../What'd he say?")
Unsung Forum Index