Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 November 2023 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 November 2023 CE
Nov 05, 2023, 03:12
Jethro Tull - War Child (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - M.U. The Best of Jethro Tull

Jethro Tull - A (A Steven Wilson Remix)

Jethro Tull - 20 Years of Jethro Tull (disc 1 of 3)

Devo – Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Lightnin' Slim - I'm Evil

The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man (mono)

The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! (mono)

The Byrds - Fifth Dimension (mono)

The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday (mono)

The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers (mono)

MC5 - HIGH TIME

Procol Harum - st

Traffic - Mr. Fantasy (mono)

R.E.M. - Murmur (MFSL)

R.E.M. - Document

Jim & Ingrid Croce - Bombs Over Puerto Rico
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 November 2023 CE
Nov 05, 2023, 09:13
I fight with de handle of my little brown broom:

The Beatles ‘Now and Then’ - nice, but not memorable; good, but far from great. Predictably, it bears John’s ‘Double Fantasy’ domestic bliss vibe. In fact, only Harrison’s slide break hides the fact that, despite the hype, this is little more than a Lennon solo outtake;

David Bowie ‘The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars’ - a perfect creation that I need to hear regularly for my well-being and sanity. Just like:

Robert Wyatt ‘Rock Bottom’ - a work of pure, unfettered, unmatched genius. Nothing, NOTHING, sounds anything like this;

Radiohead ‘I Want None Of This’ - another of Radiohead’s one-off tracks, this time from the noughties. Slow, dirgey and delicious;

Radiohead ‘The King Of Limbs’ - a record to admire rather than love, I reckon. Some of the robotic rhythms are too disjointed for the songs, especially on the opening ‘Bloom’;

Mogwai ‘As The Love Continues’ - Mogwai’s records have an uncanny knack of both soothing and disturbing, sometimes within the same track. They deserve more veneration than they get. Exhibit A;

Brian Eno ‘Music for Installations’ - well, not the whole thing, but the two beautiful pieces that make up ‘Lightness - Music for the Marble Palace’ which may just be my favourite thing the great man has ever created;

The Wedding Present ‘Valentina’ - David Gedge’s last great record. Yeah, I’ve got the Cinerama version of this but much prefer the original;

The Band ‘Music From Big Pink’ - an album I like - quite a lot, but not as much as critical opinion suggests I should. But then, I feel the same about ‘Blonde On Blonde’;

Gong ‘Flying Teapot’, ‘Angel’s Egg’ & ‘You’ - heard in sequence, not only does the Radio Gnome concept start to make some sort of weird sense but the music seems to rise in intensity until the ultimate comedown of ‘You’s’ long, last song. That the band’s rhythm section changed between the first two volumes matters not a jot: this HAS to be heard in its entirety - and, where possible, via Simon Heyworth’s fab 2018 remasters;

Sandy Denny ‘Like an Old Fashioned Waltz’ - full appreciation of which has only come with old age, though I’ve always loved the songs. I still think the string arrangements are OTT but my, that voice;

Lefty Frizzell ‘Life’s Like Poetry’ - and here’s another inimitable larynx silenced too soon. Lefty’s last recordings saw him still in great vocal form even if, Elvis-like, he’d grown bloated and worn. You and me both, mate;

Charley Pride ‘The Best There Is’ - like most established artists, Charley Pride had a disappointing 80s, as this mediocre album exemplifies. Still, there was always that voice;

Marc Johnson’s Bass Desires ‘Second Sight’ - one of ECM’s more guitar oriented albums, with John Scofield and Bill Frisell harmonising and sparring licks and riffs between them. Most diggable;

Christy Doran’s New Bag ‘Heaven Is Back On The Streets’ - few fusion records sound like this. Mahavishnu meets Primus? Naah. I can’t begin to describe it, but I do like it. Stream the weird 19 minute ‘Bastard’ and make your own mind up;

Debussy: Pour le piano (Steven Osbourne) - expertly played new recording of one of Debussy’s piano masterpieces;

Dietrich Wagler ‘Great European Organs 24’ - thoroughly satisfying recital of French, German and Danish baroque music played on the mighty Frieberg Dom organ;

Liszt: Piano Concerto no.1 (Arthur Rubinstein/Dallas SO/Antal Dorati) - ancient recording of a dynamic performance;

Beethoven: Symphony no.2 (Tafelmusik/Bruno Weil) - decent run through, on authentic instruments, of Beethoven’s delightful Second;

Dvorak: Symphony no.7 (Concertgebouw/Carlo Maria Giulini) - like most of Giulini’s later records, this swaps excitement for grandeur;

Mozart: Symphony no.41 ‘Jupiter’ (BRSO/Rafael Kubelik) - live recording from May 1985, measured yet rhythmically alive. Old school Mozart playing rarely gets better than this;

Haydn: Symphony no.102 (Cologne RSO/Rafael Kubelik) - more Kubelik magic, this time from 1961. One of those performances it’s hard to criticise because it just feels… right;

Bruckner: Symphony no.9 (BRSO/Eugen Jochum) - Jochum’s 1954 recording features a faster than usual Scherzo and a superbly dreamy Adagio;

Brahms: Piano Quartet no.2, Op.26 (Beaux Arts Trio & Walter Trampler) - idiomatic performance of one of Brahms’ sunnier chamber works;

Various ‘Mozart Opera Gala’ - from part of DG’s 1950s Mozart Edition, expanded for CD in 2005. This is a reminder of the label’s high artistic standard and sonic excellence in the early days of vinyl. And a very enjoyable selection of sublime Mozart music too.

Why don’t you try?

Good vibes to all

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Nov 05, 2023, 10:22
The Beatles - Sgt Peppers (50th) / S/t (50th) / Inner Revolution 1968

Beau Brummels - Triangle / Bradley's Barn

Beautify Junkyards - The Invisible World Of ...

Beck - One Foot In The Grave / Stereopathetic Soulmanure / Mellow Gold / Odelay

Graham Bond - Holy Magick

Harold Budd & Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirroe

Can - Monster Movie / Soundtracks

Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark 1 & 2 / The Ape Of Naples / Black Antlers / Backwards

Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music For The Mind & Body / The Life & Times Of ...

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way / Jack Johnson / On The Corner / Big Fun / Get Up With It

Brian Eno - Another Green World / Ambient 1: Music For Airports / Ambient 4: On Land

Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms / Tales Of Ephidria

Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb / Split

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear (2020 mix) / Fugazi

The Millenium - Begin

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus / The Clown / Mingus Ah Um

Martin Newell - The Greatest Living Englishman / The Off White Album

Nico - Chelsea Girl / The End

Pearls Before Swine - One Nation Underground / Balaclava

Public Image Ltd - Live In Tokyo / Live At Rockpalast 1983

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation / Alpha Centauri

Scott Walker - Scott 3 / Scott 4

XTC - Apple Venus / Wasp Star
keith a
9574 posts

Nov 05, 2023, 17:38
A few weeks worth here....

S/T – Joan Armatrading
Face The Music – ELO
Band On The Run – Paul McCartney & Wings
Three albums I liked a lot in my teens. I watched a JA live gig from 1977 on TV recently and wasn't keen TBH. It was a bit muso for me and sadly after the lovely early numbers her most famous LP veers off in this direction, too.
FTM found ELO in a bit of a hole commercially in the UK and other than Evil Woman, the other singles – the rather lovely Strange Magic and the even-more-Beatlish-than-usual Nightrider - pretty much bombed. All this was, of course, soon to change! As for this LP....well, the opening instrumental Fire On High might not sound as freaky now as it did to my 14 yr old ears, but overall I think it holds up well with some strong Jeff Lynne songs. The country-ish Down Home Town is a bit of a stinker though.
BOTD? Well it's pretty darn good isn't it!

Greatest Hits – Elton John
I really enjoyed the recent Davey Johnstone 'Rockonteurs' episode, so I had a listen to this old collection. He's written far more accomplished songs but I'm a sucker for Crocodile Rock!

Hergest Ridge – Mike Oldfield
Amazingly I'm pretty certain I had never actually heard this until a few weeks ago. I always really liked Tubular Bells but never felt sufficiently motivated to hear the sequel which always seemed to be dismissed at TB Pt II back then. Obviously in those days either you or one of your mates had to put their money where their mouth was or the liklihood was that you didn't hear something. Nowadays...well everything is served up on a plate isn't it. And...well I understand some of the comparisons because there are some definite MO-by-numbers moments but also others that are quite different with some odd, almost jarring chord sequences. On one play it didn't sound in the same league as its esteemed predecessor and whilst there's obviously a decent chance that it would grow on me I wasn't sufficiently taken with it to bother listening again as yet.

Words From The Front – Tom Verlaine
I hadn't played this in a long time. I always liked it but I don't remember it being THIS good. What a great surprise this was.

Innervisions – Stevie Wonder
Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder
SITKOL might be regarded as a classic these days but it was considered a bit of a disappointment by many at the time. There was a feeling back then that it wasn't worth the wait – and three years or whatever was a loooong wait in those days! There are some great songs – As is one of my fave ever SW numbers and Another Star sounded especially good this week - but I much prefer Innervisions myself.

Also...

The Lexicon Of Love - ABC

Isles – Bicep

Angel's Flight – Biosphere
Shortwave Memories - Biosphere

Harder Than The Rest – Culture
Combolo – Culture

So, Who's Paranoid? - The Damned

Rome – Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought

Entertainment – Gang Of Four

The Love Invention – Alison Goldfrapp

For Ever - Jungle

Plastic Ono Band – John Lennon

Solid Air – John Martyn

Protection – Massive Attack

Original Rockers – Augustus Pablo

Infected – The The
Dusk – The The

Pure Mania – The Vibrators

That Feels Good – Jesse Ware

Odessey & Oracle - The Zombies
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Nov 05, 2023, 18:08
2023 just keeps getting better. Last month roof sprung a leak at mucho cost. This weeks hassle has been neighbours soil pipe rupturing and spewing waste into a shared alley for days on end (still not rectified...i'm ready to punch someone out, really, and I'm not violent in the least).

Ladytron - 604

John Foxx - Glimmer (Best Of)

John Foxx, Louis Gordon - Crash and Burn

John Foxx and The Maths - Evidence

Ultravox - Vienna

Richard H Kirk - Earlier/Later

Cabaret Voltaire - Mix Up

Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth

Coil - L.S.D.

Rrose - Hymn To Moisture

Slab! - Descension

Boredoms - V.C.N.S.

Can - Future Days

Saint Etienne - Finistere

Also found the DVD Made In Sheffield in the racks, had forgotten I had it. Decent overview of the late 70's Sheffield scene. I'd never made the connection that intense post punkers Artery were from the city.

Keep well.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Nov 05, 2023, 18:51
Nov 05, 2023, 18:50
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Elton John - Madman Across The Water (box set)
Elton John - Honky Chateau (deluxe edition)

Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Junk Culture
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Crush
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - The Pacific Age
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Sugar Tax
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Liberator
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Universal

Bee Gees - Spirits Having Flown
Bee Gees - Livin' Eyes

of Arrowe Hill - Hexadelica & The Speed Of Darkness
of Arrowe Hill - Dulce Domum

Dave & Toni Arthur - Hearken To The Witches Rune

Hugh Cornwell & Robert Williams - Nosferatu

Scott Walker - Live On Air 1968-1969 (nice box set featuring good quality soundtracks of all 8 of Scott's BBC shows, sadly all wiped. Nice to see the 5 surviving Bobbie Gentry shows on BBC4 the other night)

John Carpenter & Alan Howarth - Halloween III: Season Of The Witch

Mercury Rev - The Peel Sessions
Mercury Rev - All Is Dream

The Stone Tape - Analysing A Ghost By Electric Means (V/A alternative soundtrack for Nigel Kneale's classic TV play, appropriately released on cassette)
The Stone Tape (BBC radio adaptation by Peter Strickland - the above prompted me to give this a second listen. Interesting re-interpration and a good choice for sound-fetishist Strickland)

Plus - the new Beatles song. Unlike Fitter Stoke above, this does feel like a Beatles song to me. Apparently the tape was labelled 'For Paul' so it seems John intended it as such. Incidentally that George Harrison slide guitar solo is actually played by Paul, I suppose as it is what George would have done. As far as I can tell Harrison's main contribution is strummed acoustic guitar. Anyway, I think they've done a lovely job with the arrangement, although the vocals sound a bit flat. They should have probably been spread out a bit more in the mix.
Unsung Forum Index