R.E.M. - Murmur (MFSL)

R.E.M. - Reckoning

R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction

R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant

R.E.M. - Dead Letter Office

R.E.M. - Document

R.E.M. - eponymous

R.E.M. - Green

Sun Ra - Disco 3000 Complete Milan Concert 1978 (disc 1)

Power of Zeus - The Gospel According To Zeus

Shack - H.M.S. Fable

Paul Haslinger - Halt and Catch Fire, Original Television Series Soundtrack

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and The Beast 40th Anniversary Monster Edition (disc 1, Original Album + Associated Recordings, A Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)

Blind Lemon Jefferson - The Best of Blind Lemon Jefferson (Yazoo 2057)

Tears For Fears - the hurting

Eric Dolphy - "OUT TO LUNCH!"

Derek and The Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Peter Gabriel - Long Walk Home, Music From The Rabbit-Proof Fence

Elton John - Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy

The 5th Dimension - Greatest Hits On Earth

Big Audio Dynamite - No. 10, Upping St.

John Coltrane - Bahia

V.A. - Cameroon Garage Funk
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 October 2023 CE
Oct 29, 2023, 09:06
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
Elton John - 17-11-70
Elton John - BBC Sessions 1969-1970

Scott Walker - Scott 3
Scott Walker - Sings Songs From His TV Series

Lesley Duncan - Sing Children Sing

Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Architecture & Morality
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Dazzle Ships
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Peel Sessions 1979-1983
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Navigation: The OMD B-Sides
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Bauhaus Staircase

Broadcast - Haha Sound
Broadcast - Tender Buttons

Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There

Julian Cope - The Modern Antiquarian

Lambchop - Damaged
Lambchop - OH (ohio)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2023, 09:27
Oct 29, 2023, 09:26
Lately I’ve let things slide:

Luther Grosvenor ‘Under Open Skies’ - Luther’s first solo album from 1971 has worn well and scrubs up even better in its new Esoteric remaster, replete with a couple of excellent, single-only bonuses. This dude has very much his own guitar sound, as fans of Spooky Tooth, Mott the Hoople or Widowmaker (like me) will already know. He’s no slouch on bass either;

MC5 ‘Kick Out The Jams’ - well, what’s there to say? Pure, raw, rock & roll is all;

Dom Martin ‘Buried In The Trail’ - very decent contemporary rhythm & blues from Belfast;

Camel ‘Rainbow’s End: An Anthology 1973-1985’ - revealing Camel’s gradual artistic decline after Peter Bardens’ departure in 1978. Up until then, they were one of the most melodic of first wave prog bands, their first two albums in particular being masterpieces of the genre. And although I never took to ‘Snow Goose’, they went on to make at least two more fine albums (the ones with Richard Sinclair, natch) after it. This 2010 4CD box set will do me more than the impending mega box which is for more dedicated Camel admirers than me;

Nick Lowe ‘Untouched Takeaway’ - Basher caught live in 2004, ever the consummate entertainer, with an excellent band in tow. I hate the term “national treasure”, but in Nick’s case I think it’s valid;

Pip Pyle’s Bash! ‘Belle Illusion’ - Pyle’s last new group was a fine quartet in the classic not-quite-jazz Canterbury style. This is their only release: an impressive live recording of music penned by Pip to each member’s style and taste. Great cameo by Elton Dean on the last couple of tracks. RIP, great men;

Clive Gregson & Christine Collister ‘A Change In The Weather’ - the third of Gregson & Collister’s five albums still sounds great: much rockier than their misleading “folk” categorisation implies. They had a fabulous musical chemistry that sadly couldn’t survive their personal differences;

Julian Cope ‘Cope’s Notes #5: The Modern Antiquarian’ - well worth your money even if you haven’t got the mighty tome from which it was inspired. The CD is even more entertaining than the Drude’s last two “proper” albums and I’ve needed to hear it daily since it arrived. And lo, the music and its unputdownable accompanying book has led me back to:

Julian Cope ‘Jehovahkill’ - if you’re reading this, you know how great this now duly ancient record was, is and f’ever will be. So nowt I can say matters a jot - not that it ever does;

Simon & Garfunkel ‘Bookends’ - less than half an hour long, but proving the old adage that less is more. Music this good never palls;

Lou Reed ‘Sally Can’t Dance’ - where the underground got mainstream - and why not? This sounds so much better now than it did in 1974;

Radiohead ‘Ill Wind’ and ‘Harry Patch (In Memory Of)’ - two beautiful, non-album tracks exhibiting the dreamier side of Radiohead. I was unaware of the latter until it was picked on Desert Island Discs this week. Never mind, I’m only 14 years late;

Buzzcocks ‘Spiral Scratch’ - although this has thrilled me since I was a teen, it’s only now that I’ve realised how truly distinctive it is. As on the wonderful ‘Time’s Up’ boot, Pete Shelley’s cheap guitar had an ugly - yet perfect - grit that lay somewhere between Tony Iommi and James Williamson. By the time he’d signed to UA and regaled himself with a Gibson something got lost. Remember him this way;

OM ‘With Dom Um Romao’ - OM confirmed their early Weather Report influences by guesting the latter’s percussionist on their third album. Joyous stuff, especially ‘Chipero’ which sounds like a kindergarten on acid;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (VPO/Wilhelm Furtwaengler) - Furtwaengler’s 1954 studio Fifth, recorded in his last year of life, is his most stately: at once both elegant and powerful. The famous opening movement has real impact, despite a relatively measured tempo. The Andante con moto second movement has never sounded more poignant than here (and I’ve heard well in excess of two hundred versions - no lie). The basses in the third movement play with such verve I can almost see resin coming out of my woofers, and the C major fanfare that opens the fourth pins me to the wall - as it should. There may be better recorded readings of Beethoven 5 out there, but this is special;

Brahms: Symphony no.2 (BPO/Wilhelm Furtwaengler) - this is F’s 1952 live recording issued by EMI a couple of decades back, and I’d forgotten how monumental it is. There are moments where time seems to stand still, as if the conductor wanted it to end there and then, yet there are also times where the power of the timpani seem to overwhelm the whole show. Unique and, to my ears, wonderful;

Wagner: Flying Dutchman Overture/Beethoven: Violin Concerto (w. Francescatti)/Mahler: Symphony no.1 (all Columbia SO/Bruno Walter) - Walter enjoyed a remarkably fruitful indian summer in Hollywood, as these fine records exemplify. His 1961 Mahler First is still a benchmark recording;

Bax: Symphony no.5 (LPO/Raymond Leppard) - like Bruckner, Bax kept to a set symphonic formula, but each of his symphonies nevertheless has its own distinctive character, this one being eerier than the other six;

Mompou: Piano Works (Marina Staneva) - lovely new CD of Mompou’s ethereal piano music;

Rheinberger: Symphony no.2 (Nordwestdeutsche Phil/Alun Francis) - obscure late romantic gem - sort of Schubert meets Schumann - from a composer more renouned for his organ music. Talking of which:

Rheinberger: Organ Works Vol.5 (Wolfgang Ruebsam) - principally the 12th & 13th Organ Sonatas, where the sonorities and sheer power of the Fulda Cathedral organ are overwhelming in the works’ big climaxes.

They’re only good friends of mine.

Rock on, dudes

Dave x
Kwoo
60 posts

Oct 29, 2023, 13:56
Damon Edge (Alliance)
Virna Lindt (Shiver)

In my mind's eye, these are both musical spies. Damon stalks the underground, Virna the 5-star hotel bars. One makes you feel like you need a shower, the other like you're luxuriating in a clawfoot tub.
Together they see all like the eye of Sauron.

My TMA noted arrived the other day. Can't wait to give it a spin and read.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2023, 00:53
Oct 30, 2023, 00:50
This week I have mostly been listening to....

John Foxx - Metamatic 3CD
Found a track by track blog entry disecting this album more or less which led me to listening through someone elses ears (so to speak). Not sure I agree with everything said, but one comment states that he thought the album was composed using dub principles, which thinking about it I kinda got where they was coming from. Simple dubby basslines and use of stark dive bombing fx plus 'space'. Anyway, for a bit of fun it made me dig out my budget UNO synths, and play around with trying to make a dubbier version of Metamatic using similar JF sounds (which luckily, the UNO's have close proximity of Metamatic sounds built in, plus those early Human League analogue white noise drum sounds). Add a Digital Delay amd phaser and Bob's your uncle..well almost. Anyway, link if it's your kinda thing. https://postpunkmonk.com/2018/07/10/record-review-john-foxx-metamatic-dlx-rm-part-1/ (it runs to 9 entries). Apologies for the waffle.

Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - Datura
Nice shoegazey/post punk vibes off this Mexican ensemble. They apparently have several albums out already in a more psych style, but this is the first I've come by. The sound is in a different direction for them apparently. Deffo worth 30 odd mins your time.
https://obsoletelorelle.bandcamp.com/album/datura

Elektro Guzzi - Trip
Enjoyable rock band plays elecrtronics with rock instruments style album.
https://elektroguzzi.bandcamp.com/album/trip-2

Telehealth - Content Oscillator
Vaguely Devoish indie sounds enamoured with all things 80's. OK, has it's moments. https://telehealth.bandcamp.com/album/content-oscillator

Slab! - Descension
Vaguely industrial funk with jazz leanings and samples. Which doesn't do it justice at all. Deffo one of my fav albums of the late 80's (apparently influenced Godflesh somewhat). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqX4tIxl8k4
Never got why they where not bigger in certain circles. Worth a listen if only for Flirt and Gutter Busting. There is a superior (in my opinion) version of The Animals from a Peel session of the same year (1986/7?)....last track (time stamped) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtmWzMrRT4A

Brainticket - Celestial Ocean

The Human League - Dare/Travelogue/Reproduction

Suicide - Surrender (comp)

Tolouse Low Tracks - Mask Talk

Do have Cope Notes Mod Ant, but not yet listened as decorating after roof leak and hifi is stored fer now sadly. Booklet is nicely produced and printed.

Anyways, have a better week. x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Oct 31, 2023, 15:43
Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi / The Campfire Headphase

Can - Ege Bamyasi / Future Days

Julian Cope - Floored Genius / Rite / Rite 2 / Rite Now / Trip Advizer / Robin Hood

Current 93 - Imperium / Earth Covers Earth

Miles Davis - Cookin' / Kind Of Blue (DE 2cd) / Sketches Of Spain / Jack Johnson

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain / S/t

Brian Eno - Music For Films / Music For Airports

Espers - S/t / The Weed Tree

Godspeed You Black Empire - Asunder, Sweet & Under Distress

Gong - Magick Brother / 25th Birthday Party
Gilli Smyth - Mother

Neu! - S/t / 2 (side 1) / '75

Nico - Desertshore / Drama Of Exile / Camera Obscura

The Paisleys - Cosmic Mind At Play

Panda Bear - Person Pitch

Pere Ubu - Datapanik In The Year Zero

Psychic TV - Force The Hand Of Chance / Dreams Less Sweet / Those Who Do Not / Pagan Day

Patti Smith - Horses / A Wing & A Prayer / Radio Ethiopia / Early Singles

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Music For Film (Dirk Brosse/ Brussels Philharmonic)

Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner / Small Change / Foreign Affairs / Heartattack and Vine

The Walker Brothers - Nite Flights

Scott Walker - Scott 3 / Scott 4

V/A - Cease & Resist: Anarcho Punk In The UK 1979-86
Unsung Forum Index