1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2023, 04:30
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 February 2023 CE
Feb 26, 2023, 03:12
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

Robert Johnson – The Centennial Collection

John Coltrane - The Believer

Anoushka Shankar, Metropole Orkest With Jules Buckley & Manu Delago – Between Us ...

Purson - Rocking Horse EP

The Electric Prunes - Stockholm 67

The Electric Prunes - Lost Dreams

The Merry-Go-Round – Listen, Listen: The Definitive Collection

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs

Steeleye Span - Hark! the Village Wait

Julian Cope - Fear Loves This Place, A JehovahKill Companion

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Eating Us

The Haunted - st

The Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer

R. Carlos Nakai With Wind Travelin' Band, Shonosuke Okhura, Oki Kano – Island Of Bows

Schmidt, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi – Symphony No. 2

Ned Rorem - Three Symphonies

V.A. - Pebbles Vol. 2

V.A. - Pebbles Vol. 6 Chicago 1

V.A. - Pebbles Vol. 7 Chicago 2

V.A. - Buzz Buzz Buzzzzzz Vol. 1

V.A. - Buzz Buzz Buzzzzzz Vol. 2

V.A. - English Freakbeat Vol. 2

V.A. – Sixties Archives Vol. 8 Acid Trip & Heavy Sound For Psychic Minds
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2023, 09:16
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 February 2023 CE
Feb 26, 2023, 09:15
Bob Dylan ‘Murder Most Foul’ - what a way to end an eight year period of writer’s block: a seventeen minute, soothing yet seething take on Kennedy’s assassination and all manner of cultural references old and new. This perplexed me three years ago and still does now, but… I like it;

Bob Dylan ‘Fragments’ (Disc 4: live recordings) - although some of this stuff appears to be audience-sourced it’s a highly entertaining listen, and each of the ‘Time Out Of Mind’ songs featured takes on a fresh new life. I tried not to let the occasional whooping tw*ts in the crowds affect my enjoyment;

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band ‘Live’ - capturing their energy better than any of their studio albums. I just wish there was more of it;

Deniece Williams ‘When Love Comes Calling’ - Niecy’s most dance-oriented album, with the lady in fine four octave form as ever;

The Stranglers ‘Black and White’ - my favourite Strangs LP, complete with its white vinyl EP and their fab Doorsy take on ‘Walk On By’;

Rory Gallagher ‘Deuce’ - Rory’s second solo LP is one of his best, and sounds particularly good in last year’s 50th anniversary remaster;

Epic Soundtracks ‘Sleeping Star’ - the records that the much missed Kevin Godfrey released under his stage name are much subtler than his punky roots might suggest. These are simple, heartfelt vignettes with great tunes and fragile, plaintive vocals. Lovely;

Steve Miller Band ‘Fly Like An Eagle’ - though my tastes tend more towards the late Steve Miller who was briefly a member of Caravan and made a bunch of charmingly eccentric LPs with Lol Coxhill, I do maintain a somewhat guilty liking for his West Coast namesake. This is IMHO the latter’s best album, oh so 1976 in its sound and feel but with tunes so infectious it should’ve come with a face mask. Mind you, Free could’ve sued for ‘Rock’n Me’;

Edgar Winter Group ‘Shock Treatment’ - another 70s album that sounds its age, but so what - it veers from hard rock to funk to soulfulness without a blip. A couple of clunky ballads can be safely skipped;

Porcupine Tree ‘Closure/Continuation’ - forget restrictive sub-genre classifications. This is a damn fine rock album, period;

Frankie Miller ‘Once In A Blue Moon’ - what an R&B flavoured Brinsley Schwarz might have sounded like with a gritty lead vocalist. Which is precisely what we get here;

Dave Rowntree ‘Radio Songs’ - a by no means typical solo effort by a drummer. There’s an appealingly elegiac mood throughout this record that I find most appealing;

The Who at Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts show last night) - Jesus H Christ. Enwistle plays a solo throughout every song, Moon can’t leave his cymbals alone, Townshend wrenches every note and chord out if his Les Paul as if he hated the f*cker, and Daltrey is just THE rock god. Was there ever a better band? I don’t think so;

Ian Matthews ‘Somedays You Eat The Bear’ - Matthews has stood fast by his patently Lincolnshire take on Americana ever since the early Fairport days. This LP from 1974 is typical of his style, with his poignant, double-tracked voice to the fore. I especially love his takes on the Dan’s ‘Dirty Work’ and Crazy Horse’s ‘I Don’t Want To Talk About It’;

Rush ‘Exit … Stage Left’ and ‘Test For Echo’ - jaw droppingly slick hard rock is all. I miss them already;

Gary Numan ‘The Pleasure Principle’ - there’s an attractive naivete about Numan’s early albums, and no shortage of melody amidst their synthesised chill. This has aged better than I thought;

Jethro Tull ‘Thick As A Brick’ - as definitive a “prog” album as there could possibly be, yet - for the first side anyway - devoid of the worst excesses of the genre and (whisper it) chock full of catchy tunes. Deniers beware: you might just like this;

The Jam ‘Funeral Pyre’ 45 - possibly the most awesome track of Weller’s 46 years (and counting) discography, and I speak as a fan of his recent work. He’s never got more intense than this;

The Teardrop Explodes: Old Waldorf, SF gig May 1981 - I’m obliged to Makkr for posting a link to this. Low-fi in sound, but high class in artistry;

Elgar: Enigma Variations/Vaughan Williams: Tallis Fantasia/Beethoven: Symphony no.6 ‘Pastoral’ (all Pittsburgh SO/Steinberg) - these were the first recordings of these works I heard when my dad bought them as 12/6d Music For Pleasure LPs back in the 60s (that’s an eight year old me in the pic putting one on our newly acquired radiogram). I have them on CD now and they still hold their own with more lauded versions; in fact, I rate William Steinberg’s (originally Capitol) 1952 recording of Beethoven 6 as my favourite of the 140+ interpretations I’ve heard since. I played these to the Newcastle Recorded Music Group on Thursday and they went down very well;

Beethoven: Symphony no.6 ‘Pastoral’ (BRSO/Kubelik) - this isn’t far behind the Steinberg in my affections, mind. Kubelik gets that lilt in the first movement’s development section just right, like spring lambs dancing on clouds (yeah, I know - I’ll get me coat);

Hindemith: Symphony ‘Mathis der Maler’ (Boston SO/Steinberg) - pity poor Paul Hindemith: too far out for the traditionalists, yet too romantic for the modernists. A work this individual, yet accessible, deserves to be much better known. And this is a nigh-on definitive recording, I reckon;

Brahms: Symphony no.3/Weber: Oberon Overture/Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.4 (w.Backhaus)/Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (all cond. Karl Boehm) - these early 50s recordings convey a natural musicality that defies their age, and interpretations that sound just right;

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique (Paris CO/Argenta) - venerable early stereo LP that still leaps from the speakers (dig that brass in the fourth movement: wow!) with an interpretation that really brings out how spaced out was Berlioz’ creativity;

Beethoven: Violin Sonata no.7, Op.30 no.2 (Perlman/Ashkenazy) - despite being a little over-forceful in places, the passion and musicality of these A list players shines through. And this is another of those wonderful C minor works that show LvB’s genius at its most intense;

Beethoven: String Quartet no.12, Op.127 (Calidore String Quartet) - ace new recording of “music better than it can ever be played” (Artur Schnabel) which comes alarmingly close to disproving that point. This is an exciting new ensemble who play this music as if its notes were almost too hot to hold. Can’t wait to hear more;

Mozart: Horn Concertos (Hoegner/VPO/Boehm) - delightful music, delightfully rendered.

It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there.

Happy vibes to all

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Feb 26, 2023, 09:22
Blur - Parklife / The Great Escape / S/t

Boards Of Canada - A Few Old Tunes / Old Tunes Vol 2 / Music Has The Right To Children / Geogaddi

David Bowie - Station To Station / Live Nassau Coliseum '76 / Heathen / Reality

Cocteau Twins - Peppermint Pig (EP) / Sunburst & Snowblind (EP) / Tiny Dynamine (EP) / Echoes In A Shallow Bay (EP)

John Coltrane - "Live" At The Village Vanguard / Impressions / Live At The Village Vanguard Again!

Miles Davis - Paris Olympia 20-3-60 / Someday My Prince Will Come / Seven Steps To Heaven / Live In Europe

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) / Another Green World / Before & After Science

Gong - Gong Est Mort: Vive Gong / Live Floating Anarchy 1977

Groundhogs - Groundhogs Best 1969-72

Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness & Charm (DE 2cd) / P.X.R.5 / Friends & Relations

Steve Hillage - L / Green / Rainbow Dome Musick

Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine / Radio-Activity / Trans-Europe Express / Computer World

The Last Poets - This Is Madness

Radha Krsna Temple - S/t

Rudimentary Peni - S/t (EP) / Cacophony

Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

Sun Ra - Super-Sonic Jazz / Angels & Demons At Play / The Futuristic Sounds Of ...

Swans - The Seer / To Be Kind

Third Ear Band - Alchemy / Elements

Throbbing Gristle (X-TG) - Desertshore / The Final Report

Scott Walker - Scott 4 / 'Til The Band Comes In / Climate Of Hunter

Wire - Chairs Missing / 154

Erik Satie - Piano Music (p: Peter Lawson)

V/A

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind (compiled & mixed by Amorphous Androgynous) - Vol 3: The 3rd Ear / Vol 4: The Wizards Of Oz

Electricity: A Brief History Of Future Sound (Mojo)
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2023, 10:44
Feb 26, 2023, 10:19
Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays

Jane - Together

Angel Witch - 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Bonzo Dog Band - Tadpoles. US version, with track A6 changed from "I'm The Urban Spaceman" to "Ready-Mades" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OelZyzXZBHk

Daevid Allen + Euterpe / Brainville - Bananamoon Obscura 1 & 2. A x2 CD album compilation set, DA with Euterpe - Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977; and DA, Hugh Hopper & Pip Pyle as Brainville - Live In The UK 1998

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs
"Boulders On My Grave" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDETBXD_DeI

Andy Irvine / Paul Brady - S/T

Skara Brae - S/T

The Bothy Band - Live In Concert

Planxty - Between The Jigs And The Reels: A Retrospective. "The Pursuit Of Farmer Michael Hayes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gALzgM7YGRE Superb

V/A - MOJO presents Island Folk

V/A - Acid: The Final Frontier - The Sixties To Seventies - In Search Of Space x3 CD box set. Cheap set on the Dressed To Kill label bought in the 90s. Mostly live - many of the greats featured - with the odd very rough version but I like lo fi, so don't mind. Quite enjoyable, but outrageous CD covers.

Youtube

Michael Hanly / Mícheál O'Donnell (aka Mícheál Ó Domhnaill agus Mick Hanly) - Celtic Folkweave

The Bothy Band, live footage 1976 "Old Hag You Have Killed Me / Dinnie Delaney's / Morrisson's" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXwIIHAmaw + "The Laurel Tree" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzJ_qC2tHE So good

Víg Mihály & Víg Sára: Koncert a Lumenben, Budapest 2022, live footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Nrpa1vZEc&t=314s
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2023, 18:50
Feb 26, 2023, 11:13
SUSS - s/t

Glyders - Maria's Hunt

Drugdealer - The End of Comedy

The Wisdom of Harry - Stars of Super 8

George Brigman and Split - I Can Hear The Ants Dancing

Trio - Da Da Da

V/A - Where the Action Is (Los Angeles Nuggets)

V/A - End of the Road 2023 Spotify playlist
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Feb 26, 2023, 12:54
Kate Bush - Lionheart
Kate Bush - Live At Hammersmith Odeon

David Bowie - Let's Dance
David Bowie - Tonight
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down
Tin Machine - Tin Machine
Tin Machine - Tin Machine II

The Kinks - Think Visual
The Kinks - UK Jive
The Kinks - Phobia

The Moody Blues - Octave
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

The Shangri-La's - Myrmidons Of Melodrama

The Shirelles - As, Bs, Hits & Rarities 1958-1962

Wet Leg - Wet Leg

Sparks - Sparks
Sparks - A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing
Sparks - Kimono My House
Sparks - Propaganda

Silvery - London Metal

Úath - Úath

Jon & Vangelis - Private Collection

Julian Cope - 20 Mothers

Bee Gees - Trafalgar
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Feb 26, 2023, 16:00
Ghost- Hypnotic Underworld
Traffic- John Barleycorn Must Die
Arborist- An Endless Sequence of Dead Zeroes
Chaz Knapp & Mariel Roberts- Setting Fire To These Dark Times
Fursaxa- Mycorrhizae Realm
Immaterial Possession- Mercy of the Crane Folk
Whenyoung- Paragon Songs
Modern Cosmology- What Will You Grow Now
Camera- Prosthuman (danked edition remixes)
Anne Briggs- The Time Has Come
LeeHarveyIsInnocent
48 posts

Feb 27, 2023, 01:20
"Brahms Third Racket"
Sybil Fawlty hates this!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Feb 27, 2023, 12:37
Not a lot this week

Coil - Persistence is All
Wasn't gonna pick this up as I have a few audience recordings of it already (one being my own) but Thipe cleaned this one up really well. You can actually hear the lyrics to the tracks, which most live recordings I've heard muddy somewhat. The line " Do you believe in dentists, anaesthetists and gas" gave me a chuckle.

Holger Czukay and U-She - The New Millennium

Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude/ Jurassic Shift

Brainiac - Attic Tapes

Tappa Zukie - MPLA

Om Unit - Acid Dub Studies

The Liminanas - Electrified (Best Of)

Various Artists

Bound for Hell; On the Sunset Strip

Strain, Crack and Break Vol:2 Germany

Have a better one. x
Unsung Forum Index