Nirvana - Black Flower

Earth, Wind & Fire - st / The Need of Love

King Crimson - Lizard

Dale Hawkins - Oh! Suzy-Q

John Mayall - Bare Wires

The Durutti Column - The Guitar and Other Machines

The Durutti Column - Obey the Time

The Durutti Column - Red Shoes

Lex Baxter - The Exotic Moods of Lex Baxter (disc 2)

The Luv'd Ones - Truth Gotta Stand
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 February 2023 CE
Feb 05, 2023, 09:47
I’ve had a particularly good week’s listening this week. Not much else went well (another molar in landfill, gammy leg, bored to death etc) but hey, life’s a bitch innit. Thank Gad for rack and rowul:

Tom Verlaine ‘Dreamtime’ - my favourite of Verlaine’s solo albums is, for me anyway, least as good a memorial listen as the first two TV albums, especially the gorgeous ‘Without A Word’. The Reaper’s been too greedy for great rock & roll talent lately;

Black Sabbath S/T - still their definitive album, and still as powerful as ever. Listening through headphones really focusses the ear on Bill Ward’s inventiveness;

Radiohead ‘Hail To The Thief’ - a relatively “normal” release after the experimentation of ‘Kid A’ and ‘Amnesiac’, but still left-field enough to satisfy any newbies attracted by those albums. One of Radiohead’s finest albums IMHO, with definitely their finest opening salvo in ‘2+2=5’;

Peter Hammill ‘Not Yet Not Now’ (Nurnberg/Dortmund discs) - gloriously rough, ready and intense solo live recordings from 2017/18. By no means an easy listen, but a rewarding one. No-one else sounds anything like this;

Magazine ‘The Complete John Peel Sessions’ - wherein nearly every song sounds better than its album or 45 equivalent, especially ‘Give Me Everything’ and the ‘Correct Use Of Soap’ tracks. And Magazine’s version of ‘Boredom’ is simply faberooni;

Deep Purple ‘Made In Japan’ - simply THE great live rock double album. I will never, ever, tire of this;

Sensational Alex Harvey Band ‘Live’ - and this is so good it should’ve been a double too;

George Harrison (Bernie Krause?) ‘Electronic Sound’ - which I rather like in its kack-handed, random sort of way. I’ve heard far worse efforts by more lauded exponents of the genre, whatever that is. Must’ve sounded well out there in 1969;

Nick Lowe ‘Dig My Mood’ - where Basher traded in his new wave chops for a mellower groove (and from which he’s rarely strayed since). This is perfect late night listening;

Blind Faith S/T - how great could they have been had they lasted more than just one album? Never mind, what they left behind is decent enough, and both Clapton and Winwood went on to make even better records in 1970. Talking of which:

Eric Clapton S/T - having now three mixes of this is more than an extravagance, but I may be in a minority in thinking that Clapton’s own is - marginally - the best. Whatever, he’s never made another album under his own name as good, though…

Eric Clapton ‘August’ …runs it close. A rare example of an old fart making a decent album in the 80s, ‘August’ is a seriously good set of songs, despite its poly-synthy 80s production;

X-Ray Spex ‘The Roxy, London WC2’ - full eight song set from early ‘77: primitive, raw, and bursting with energy. Poly really gave it her all;

The Velvet Underground ‘Loaded’ - it may be cooler to dig their Verve albums - and I do - but ‘Loaded’ is the one that packs the most rock and roll punch;

Alice Cooper ‘Love It To Death’ - which has given me more pleasure recently than at any time in the half century I’ve known it. In fact, I now think it’s his/their best album, having been a ‘Killer’ aficionado for most of my life. Sheeatt - it’s like trying to rate ‘Ziggy’ over ‘Hunky Dory’, ‘Fun House’ over ‘Raw Power’, or ‘Revolver’ over ‘Rubber Soul’. Satisfaction guaranteed - even the dodgy Rolf Harris cover. We’ve still got a long way to go;

Cabaret Voltaire ‘Red Mecca’ - nasty avant rock at its most beguiling;

Steve York’s Camelo Pardalis ‘Manor Live’ - early Virgin LP of a shower of luminaries of the time including Boz Burrell, Elkie Brooks and the great Mike Patto. Great fun;

Trammps ‘Disco Inferno’ 12” 45 - THE best disco record of all time, and I won’t be argued with. Just can’t stop when my spunk gets hot;

Eberhard Weber ‘The Colours Of Chloe’ - beautiful, ethereal music from a galaxy somewhere between classical and jazz;

Keith Jarrett ‘At The Deer Head Inn’ - rare return to the bar room by Jarrett, accompanied by Gary Peacock and old hand Paul Motian. The music flows naturally and pleasingly;

Jaco Pastorius S/T - oh so 70s in its fusion-meets-funk feel, but a fine showcase for jaw-dropping electric bass playing;

Mahler: Symphony no.1 ‘Titan’ (LSO/Solti) - classic reading of Mahler’s First with a near-ideal balance of lyricism and excitement, superbly played, conducted and recorded;

Beethoven: Symphony no.2 (ECO/Tilson-Thomas) - Beethoven’s least lauded symphony given a straight but pleasing performance;

Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (WDR SO/Janowski) - Janowski takes a largely classical rather than romantic take on this, which makes a refreshing - if not the most exciting - change. The second movement is particularly well realised;

Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I (Trevor Pinnock) - what I wrote last week about Book II applies here too. This is well good.

Burn that mother down.

Love and kisses

Dave x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 05, 2023, 11:28
Glyders - Maria's Hunt

The Mandrake Handshake - The Triple Point of Water E.P.

David Lance Callaghan - English Primitive II

Ultimate Spinach - s/t (Mono)

Ultimate Spinach - Behold and See (Mono)

The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up and Away

V/A - End of the Road 2023 Spotify playlist
(Listening to this because I'm humming and hawing about whether to go again this year as the lineup initially looks underwhelming compared to the previous three).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2023, 11:30
Feb 05, 2023, 11:29
Accidental double post - deleted.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Feb 05, 2023, 16:11
Vivian Stanshall - Sir Henry At Rawlinson End (album)
"The Rub"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iadai6EExkk

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Gorilla

Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
"I'm Going Mad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgD12JZuKNk

Budgie - In For The Kill

Frankie Miller - Once In A Blue Moon

Skunk Anansie - Paranoid & Sunburnt
"Charity"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkFf-j1Nk0

Donovan - Fairytale

Group 1850 - Agemo's Trip To Mother Earth
"Reborn"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-8oPXw_uc

V/A - Feel The Spirit: Other Worldly Folk Music Gems & Psychedelics

V/A - Classic Rock - Trampled Underfoot: 14 Tracks of Stampeding New Psych

V/A - Mojo - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind, compiled and mixed by The Amorphous Androgynous
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Feb 05, 2023, 17:03
Television- Marquee Moon
Patti Smith- Gone Again
Patti Smith- Banga
Slaughter Joe & The Modern Folk Quintet- All Around My Hobby Horse's Head
Daddy Long Legs- Street Sermons
Gilroy Mere- Gilden Gate
Hollow Hand- Your Own Adventure
The Long Ryders- September November
Richard Olson & The Familiars- S/T
Those Pretty Wrongs- Holiday Camp
Elsa Bergman- Play on Crayon
Heather Woods Broderick- Labyrinth
Heinali- Kyiv Eternal
Squerl- Silver Haze
Piotr Kurek- Peach Blossom
McNeal & Niles- Thrust
Wilbur Niles- Thrust Too
Hokus Poke- Earth Harmony
Cyndi Lauper- True Colours
flashbackcaruso
1059 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2023, 17:12
Feb 05, 2023, 17:11
The Beatles - Let It Be

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
David Bowie - David Live
David Bowie - The Gouster
David Bowie - Young Americans
David Bowie - Station To Station (rather a mixed period for Bowie, I think - Diamond Dogs is patchier than his previous albums, and his vocals are often painful on David Live and that tortuous cover of 'Across The Universe' from Young Americans. I find The Gouster more consistent, although my favourite track 'Right' is thankfully on both albums. Station To Station was a return to form, at least to these ears.)

Vangelis - Heaven & Hell
Vangelis - Entends-tu Les Chiens Aboyer?
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Vangelis - Spiral
Vangelis - Beaubourg

Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself

The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children
The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends

Mike Vickers - Dracula A.D. 1972 OST (the use of White Noise's 'An Electric Storm In Hell' on this soundtrack, along with Elephant's Memory on the next had me digging out some of my favourite spooky psych with electronic elements, YouTube links provided)

John Barry - Midnight Cowboy OST (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3hLMeu7rfY)

The United States Of America - The United States Of America (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYAkR2hrOnk)
The United States Of America - Gift & Creatures (soniclovenoize recreation)

White Noise - An Electric Storm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO9LS3A9iB8)
White Noise 2 - Concerto For Synthesizer (first time I'd listened to this, sadly not the same thing at all)

Mandy Moore - But That Is Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWzYUsrgd0)

(American) Spring - Spring (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68__VvhDyzI)

Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide

The Beatles - Get Back (soniclovenoize reimagining)
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2023, 17:22
Feb 05, 2023, 17:21
Et Cetera – Et Cetera
Eiliff – Eiliff
Tomorrow's Gift – Goodbye Future
Between – And The Waters Opened
Between – Dharana
Popol Vuh – Seligpreisung
Release Music Orchestra – Life
garerama
garerama
1119 posts

Feb 05, 2023, 18:00
The Beat Of The Earth - S/t

Tim Buckley - Starsailor / BBC 1968 & OGWT 1974

Can - Landed / Flow Motion

Coil - How To Destroy Angels (album) / Scatology / Unnatural History II & III / Moon's Milk

Paul Giavanni & Magnet - The Wicker Man OST

Guru Guru - UFO / Hinten

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off / Surrealistic Pillow

The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy / Darklands

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon / Lizard / Islands

Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine / Computer World

John McLaughlin - Remember Shakti

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs

Tina & David Meltzer - Green Morning

Charles Mingus - Mingus At Antibes / Tonight At Noon / The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady

Joanna Newsom - The Milk Eyed Monder / Joanna Newsom & The Y Street Band EP

999 - Singles Album

Lee "Scratch" Perry & The Upsetters - Scratch The Upsetter / The Original Super Ape / Battle Of Armagideon

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds / Dark Side Of The Moon

Slowdive - Just For A Day

Snakefinger - A Collection

Swans - White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity / Love Of Life

The Teardrop Explodes - BBC Sessions (Kilimanjaro DE disc 3) / Zoology

Television - Demos 1974 & 1975 / Marquee Moon / Adventure / Live At The Old Wardorf 1978
Monganaut
Monganaut
2383 posts

Feb 06, 2023, 16:43
Several Weeks Worth of Noise...

Holger Czuckay vs Dr Walker - Clash
Wow. Mate sent me a copy of this as he knew I was a fan of all things Can. Wasn't aware of it's existence. Industrial acid with ethno samples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPle312C2w&list=PLA358235DFB3D608D
Holger Czuckay, Jah Wobble, Jaki Liebeziet - Full Circle
Jaki Leibezeit and Robert Coyne - The Obscure Department
Vanishing Twin - The Age Of Immunology
The Ummlauts - Another Fact EP
Liars - The Apple Drop
Vittoria Maccabruni and Michael Rother - As Long As The Night
Thee Osees - Live The Chapel 2/10/2019
Always surprised more heads on HH don't tune into Osees, they have a cool catalogue of noises.
Thomas Leer - Contadictions
Bowie - Divine Symmetry box
Pixies - Doggerel. Decent effort.
Hawthonn - Earth Mirror
Cope - England Expectorates. Was listening to Magazine the other day and that phrase popped up in one of their songs, forget which tho.
Sick Thoughts - Heaven Is No Fun. New Yawk Rawk Ramonesey kinda vibes, enjoyble. https://totalpunkrecords.bandcamp.com/album/heaven-is-no-fun
Roland Kayn - Infra
The Leaf Library - Library Music Vol:1
Flowchart - Multi-Personality Tabletop Vacation. Loved these back in the day, when I was still in thrall to all things Stereolab. Now I'm starting to think where does the line of heartfelt homage and downright plagiarism start and end
Abronia - Map Of Dawn
Stereolab - Pulse Of The Early Brain
Fenella - The Metallic Index
Legendary Pink Dots - The Maria Dimension
Black Uhuru - Mystical Truth Dub
Linval Thompson ... - Negrea Love Dub
Bubonic Plague - No Bosses, No Bullshit
Scientists - A Place Called Bad
Fujiya Miyagi - Slight Variations
Walter Wegemuller - Tarot
Leftfield - This Is What We Do - Enjoyable enough.
Mark Stewert - VS. Here Mark buddies up with various noisniks with OK results
https://emergencyhearts.bandcamp.com/album/vs
Pop Group - Y

Various -
Brown acid - The 15th trip
Backwaterslide - Various Folk, weird folk and related, Nice.
Ein Und Drei und Zwei und Vier Vol 2. Like a Deutsche Electronic Music for the early 80's.
Silberland. Kosmick Music Vol:1 As Above. Holger Hillier really should be better known. He produced some great music in the 80's/90's.
Electronic Sounds Mag- Covers CD's. Nice version of Wire's Heartbeat by Gazelle Twin, and a really annoying version of TVC 15 by Anomy. Another fave is Shack Up by Bis. https://gazelletwin.bandcamp.com/track/heartbeat
Rolling Stone magazine comp - First Wave Pt 2
Hawkwind - Friends and Relations - The Rarities
John Savages 1977 cymbals crashing... Barely been off the player, love it. Esp track by The Lines called White Night (Feat Rico Conning late of Renegade Soundwave). Not sure I'd heard it before, but was instantly familiar for some reason (Maybe another band did a cover or something?). Can see why the band never really made it tho, later stuff was second rate Hula/23 Skidoo esq. The Lines - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RQZBkEehdY

Just discovered that one of my fav EP's of the last few years Lee "Scratch" Perry's Guide to the Universe with New Age Doom has had a remix....could go either way I guess?

Have a good one if you can. x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index