1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2023, 03:59
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 January 2023 CE
Jan 08, 2023, 03:30
Van Der Graaf Generator – H To He Who Am The Only One

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Part One

Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman – Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman And The Theremin: Music Out Of The Moon • Perfume Set To Music • Music For Peace Of Mind

Lonnie Liston Smith - Astral Traveling

The Shangri-Las – Myrmidons Of Melodrama - The Definitive Collection

Amiina – Kurr

múm – Please Smile My Noise Bleed

The Birds – The Collectors' Guide To Rare British Birds

Sonny Sharrock / Wayne Henderson – Black Woman / People Get Ready

Lightnin' Slim - The Best of Lightnin' Slim (Hip-O)

Pink Anderson - The Blues of Pink Anderson, ballad & folksinger, vol. 3

Ennio Morricone - Citta' Violenta OST

Eric Andersen - Blue River

Frank Stokes - Creator of the Memphis Blues

Frank Stokes - The Best of Frank Stokes

V.A. - Frank Stokes' Dream, The Memphis Blues 1927-1931

V.A. – Phonographic Yearbook, 1923 "Gonna Play the Villain Part"

V.A. - Love, Peace & Poetry, British Psychedelic Music
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2023, 11:04
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 January 2023 CE
Jan 08, 2023, 11:02
This week’s spins:

The Jam ‘In The City’ - what you get when you add extra attitude, energy and testosterone to a Who and early Feelgoods obsession. And my, does it still blister nearly 46 years later;

The Jam ‘This Is The Modern World’ - I once considered this the epitome of “rushed follow-up” syndrome but, notwithstanding the stellar development that was to be ‘All Mod Cons’, the stroppier ‘TITMW’ is still a decent LP in its own right;

George Harrison ‘All Things Must Pass’ - with no overt disrespect to Macca, ‘All Things Must Pass’ is artistically so far ahead of ‘McCartney’ as a debut song-based album that it’s embarrassing. Lennon came close with ‘Plastic Ono Band’ but the quiet one easily won 1970 in the solo Fab stakes. That ‘ATMP’ was a double (I don’t count the dreary ‘Apple Jam’) makes Hari’s achievement even more impressive;

Van der Graaf Generator ‘Pawn Hearts’ - what remains a contender for Peter Hammill’s wildest vocal performance (‘A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers’) sounds even more rabid on the sparser 2021 remix. Either way, this is one helluva record;

Moby Grape S/T - the least “West Coast” sounding of all the ‘67 San Fran debuts still packs a punch for me, especially its occasional Stax vocal stylings;

Julian Cope ‘Saint Julian’ - my lifelong music obsession has resulted in an unreasonably large record collection, much of which I’ll never hear again. This isn’t because I’ve lost interest in it, but because (a) I can only listen to one record at a time; (b) I’m running out of lifespan; (c) I have other things to do and (d) still hunger for new music to enlighten and entertain myself. So when I pull out a long unspun LP such as this and it literally lifts my day - as this did - I know I’m justified in reserving so much of my living space to inanimate objects I acquired so much earlier in my life. In the present instance, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed ‘Saint Julian’ as much as I do now. It’s time-locked and fresh as a daisy at the same time, the perfect encapsulation of Copey’s poppiest muse, with not a mundane moment over two sides of thin black 80s vinyl. I’m lucky enough to have it with the promo interview record on which a much younger Julian is as erudite and interesting as he’s ever sounded. A tedious day transformed: thank you, Drude;

Elvis Presley ‘The Great Performances’ - like most Elvis fans I bought this somewhat ramshackle selection of tracks back in 1990 to acquire his then hitherto unavailable debut recording ‘My Happiness’. Playing it again many years later, I’m struck by what a strong record it is, encompassing the King’s entire career using both obvious and less lauded cuts. Certainly relieved a rotten, cold-ridden Tuesday afternoon round my place;

John Martyn ‘Live at the Town Hall, Sydney, Australia 1977’ - capturing the flawed genius at his solo peak with just a Martin acoustic, an Echoplex and a shedload of effects pedals for company, on a night when he was more Cockney than Glaswegian;

Lulu ‘Don’t Take Love For Granted’ - long forgotten album from 1978 which is no lost classic but contains a couple of, er, guilty pleasures on it, not least ‘I Love To Boogie’ - no, not a Bolan cover but a disco track so tacky that it’s good;

Bobby Naughton ‘The Haunt’ - 1976 free jazz gig for vibes, trumpet and clarinet that is inventive and interesting, trust me;

Keith Jarrett ‘Live At The Blue Note’ - I have just the one disc version documenting the June 4 1994 First Set but, having been totally sent by it, am seriously thinking of shelling out on the full monty 6 CD box. The chemistry between Jarrett and his Standards Trio compadres was something else;

Jack DeJohnette ‘New Directions’ - the Standard Trio’s stalwart drummer earlier led a great combo with Lester Bowie, John Abercrombie and Eddie Gomez, great talents all, and their first studio outing from 1978 is still as fine as I’d dare to expect. Don’t be put off by the cheesy cover photo;

Arild Andersen ‘Green Shading Into Blue’ - Andersen’s third album as a leader dates from around the same time as the last named but is inevitably more “european” in feel;

Stravinsky: Complete Works for Piano & Orchestra (Osbourne/BBC Scottish SO/Volkov) - delightful disc covering areas of this ever interesting composer’s work from faux-classical to serial atonality, consistently well realised by soloist, conductor and orchestra. I nabbed this for only £5 from Hyperion’s website. Highly recommended;

Haydn: String Quartet in D, Op.17 no.6 (Tatrai Quartet) - every time I dip into the Tatrais’ much underrated Haydn survey I walk away happy. This is as good an example as any.

Long live the weekend, the weekend is dead.

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2023, 11:32
Jan 08, 2023, 11:31
Daevid Allen - N'existepas!
Ex- - Don't/Stop

Altered Images - Happy Birthday

American Music Club - Engine

Laura Anderson - Big Science

Associates - The Affectionate Punch / Sulk

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs / Barrett / Opel

Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies - The American Metaphysical Circus

Can - Ege Bamyasi / Future Days / Doko E / Soon Over Babaluma / Unlimited Edition / The Lost Tapes (discs 2 & 3)

Miles Davis - Water Babies / In A Silent Way / On The Corner

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter

Future Sound Of London/Amorphous Androgynous - Dead Cities / My Kingdom / Papua New Guinea 2001 / The Cartel Remixes

Improved Sounds Limited - Engelchen Macht Weiter Hoppe-Hoppe Reiter / S/t

Bert Jansch - Bert & John (with John Renbourn) / Jack Orion

Keith Jarrett - Expectations / Fort Yawuh / The Koln Concert

The Last Poets - This Is Madness

The Memory Band - S/t

Sergio Mendes - Brasileiro

Yoko Ono - Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band / Feeling The Space

Swans - Love Of Life / The Great Annihilator

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditaion / Alpha Centuari / Zeit / Atem
Edgar Froese - Aqua

The Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico (mono)

The Waterboys - Dream Harder

V/A

Geef Voor New Wave

New Wave (Vertigo 1977)

No New York
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jan 08, 2023, 12:26
La Dusseldorf- Dusseldorf
The Fall- Perverted By Language
Buffy Sainte-Marie- Best of
The Electric Prunes- S/T
The Electric Prunes- Underground
The Electric Prunes- Mass in F Minor
The Electric Prunes- Release Of An Oath
The Electric Prunes- Just Good Old Rock And Roll
Steeleye Span- Please To See The King
Ian Lloyd- Goosebumps
Marvin Gaye- What's Going On
Marvin Gaye- Let's Get It On
Hawkwind- Friends And Relations Volume 1
Bardo Pond- Volume 3
Aksak Maboul- Une Aventure
Ani Zakareishvili- Fallin'
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jan 08, 2023, 14:35
Then Again - Paul Haig
Sulk - The Associates
Meet - Danny Wilson
She Loves Me Not - Alan Rankine
Treasure - Cocteau Twins
Three Sides Love - Genesis
Black Express - XTC
Aural Sculpture - The Stranglers
We Will Always Love You - The Avalanches
Brainwashed - George Harrison
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 08, 2023, 19:31
Bought me a CD separate for the first time on Friday. Seemed a bit of an oversight to be listening to music on a CD/radio all these years! Have owned Hifi's and receivers of course. What a difference! So far it has been:

Black Angels - Directions to see a ghost. Remind me of Clinic in places which is no bad thing.

Black Lips - Good, bad - not evil

Tim Booth - Bone. Absolutely in love with the production on this. Reminds me of Primal Scream and Ian Brown from the 2000's. Songwriting can be a bit clunky in places but nobody is perfect.

The Fall - Grotesque

Bauhaus - Burning from the Inside. Another strong offering to add to the collection methinks on first spin.

Newish music on Spotify:

Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts VI Locusts. Haunting is the right word. There was one particular track that Adam Curtis uses in his films that drew me in

Johnny Flynn - Six Signs: Six Songs EP. Only found out this existed a week ago having listened to The Dark is Rising on BBC Sounds over Christmas. It's another yes.

Nick Cave/Warren Ellis - Carnage. Starting to reach saturation point with NC now. A no

Military Genius - Dark web - Live in Rotterdam. Yes to the former, the latter isn't essential

Mrs Piss - Self Surgery. Rocking out like a goodun. That's a yes. Led me to look at some Chelsea Wolfe too.

Mog Jones - On the run. No

Metz - Atlas Vending. No

Mermaid Chunky - Vest. MC are the best.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jan 08, 2023, 19:43
ABBA - The Visitors
ABBA - Opus 10
ABBA - Voyage

John Lennon - Imagine
John & Yoko/Elephant's Memory Band - Sometime In New York City

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
George Harrison - Living In The Material World

Simon Joyner - Songs For The New Year
Simon Joyner - Yesterday, Tomorrow & In Between

Jon & Vangelis - The Best Of

The Beach Boys - Carl & The Passions: So Tough
The Beach Boys - Holland
The Beach Boys - In Concert

Elton John - 21 at 33
Elton John - The Fox

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker

Ron Geesin - Ghost Story

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age

Aphrodite's Child - End Of The World

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow
keith a
9574 posts

Jan 09, 2023, 22:14
I wasn't around last week so here's a couple of weeks worth.
Happy New Year to you all x

Shortwave Memories - Biosphere

Fragments – Bonobo

England Exporates – Julian Cope

The Boy Named If – Elvis Costello & the Imposters

A Night Of A Thousand Vampires – The Damned

Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought

Oh Death – Goat

Electricity – Ibibio Sound Machine

Sonancy – Loop

Tick Tick Tick – Stephen Mallinder

For Leolanda - Moles