Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jan 01, 2023, 11:42
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 31 December 2022 CE
Jan 01, 2023, 11:41
This week’s listens:

Altered Images ‘Mascara Streakz’ - what could have been a really naff comeback now starts to sound like a career high the more I hear it. It’s that old fashioned thing of a 45 minute album with ten tracks, all
being irresistible modern pop. There’s a feeling of familiarity throughout, though only one song has a whiff of plagiarism about it (it’ll be obvious if you hear it). It should also be noted that Claire Grogan has never sung better. I do hope this doesn’t sink into obscurity;

Marillion ‘Holidays in Eden’ (Deluxe Edition) - like our beloved Drude, Marillion have floated my boat this year with excellent material both old and new. I’d forgotten just how good this distinctly un-prog set was and is. Oh to be thirty again;

Daevid Allen ‘Banana Moon’ - hard to believe that Gary Wright - yes, he of Spooky Tooth, ‘Dream Weaver’ and ‘All Things Must Pass’ fame - is part of the combo that put this manic, shambolic music together. God knows what was being smoked but my, this is some well-weird shit - in a mostly good way I should add. Needs plenty of chemical or, in my own case, alcohol-based hors d’oeuvres before listening to get the full effect;

Gong ‘You’ - Allen in slightly saner mode, backed by a band at their awesome peak in invention and execution. The moment in ‘A Sprinkling Of Clouds’ when Pierre Moerlin’s drums enter the fray is, for me, one of the most spine tingling in rock;

The Beatles ‘Revolver’ 2CD edition - the new stereo remix is weak and pointless (stick to the gutsier mono original) but the second disc of outtakes veers between fascinating and essential;

Faust ‘The Faust Tapes’ - incredible to think that soon it’ll be fifty years since this totally unique record first entered my still un-teenage life. It still yields new pleasures (and, occasionally, the creeps) every time I play it;

Derek and the Dominos ‘Layla’ - the music that Clapton made immediately before his heroin holiday remains his best for me. This, along with ‘Blind Faith’ and his eponymous solo debut still sound fresh and vital;

Simple Minds ‘Direction Of The Heart’ - bought for £5 at HMV last week which I guess is about what it’s worth. Despite the quality of musicianship, and the title, heart is what seems to be lacking here. Time to retire, lads?

Yes ‘Relayer’ - three quarters of which is top rank Yes. The remaining quarter, ‘To Be Over’, is one of prog’s dreariest clunkers;

Link Wray ‘Link Wray’ and ‘Beans and Fatback’ - swampy greatness from Wray’s second coming;

Chick Corea ‘Piano Improvisations Vol.1’ - at least as vital and influential as Keith Jarrett’s solo piano debut ‘Facing You’ from the same year and label;

Emahoy Tsegue Maryam Guebrou S/T - not dissimilar in style and mood from the last named, but this time from the fingers of an exceedingly talented Ethiopian nun;

Tyondai Braxton ‘Telekinesis’ - well, you wouldn’t expect the son of Anthony Braxton to create anything over-accessible and, natch, this needs effort on the listener’s part. But its positive vibes far exceed the negative over its 35 minute duration. Do try this;

Susan Spain-Dunk: Kentish Downs (BBC Scottish SO/Bell) - very Elgarian but tuneful overture by a forgotten female composer;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (LPO/De Sabata) - surprisingly restrained take on an apocalyptic masterpiece, highlighting its lyrical qualities through the crumbly sound;

Beethoven: Symphonies 7 & 9 (BPO/Karajan) - Herbie’s 1962 recordings throb with vim and vigour;

Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1-5 (Zhang/Philadelphia Orch/Stutzmann) - solid, poetic performances with nothing controversial about them. I enjoyed this set very much;

Sibelius: Symphony no.6 (Oslo PO/Makela) - this excellently played, conducted and recorded performance exemplifies the cycle as a whole, rightly given big critical licks in the classical press earlier this year;

Mozart: String Quartet no.23 in F, K 590 (Chiaroscuro Quartet) - I’m gradually coming round to this ensemble’s vibrato-free sound. Their performance of Mozart’s final string quartet is beautifully considered and, with all repeats observed, 38 minutes long - but doesn’t feel that long;

Messiaen: Vingt Regards sur i’Enfant Jesus (Bertrand Chamayou) - ace recent recording that emphasises the sheer variety at play within this giant cycle;

Messiaen: La Nativite du Seigneur (Tom Winpenny) - and my fifth recording of this awesome organ epic is the most powerful yet. Had Naxos CDs still been cheap, this would be a bargain. As it is, it’s as good a single disc version of the work as I’ve ever heard, and an interesting contrast to

Messiaen: La Nativite du Seigneur (Olivier Messiaen) - despite being inevitably dated as sound, the composer’s own 1956 recording remains unique and thrilling;

BBC Singers ‘Music for Christmas’ - old BBC Music cover CD with a sublime selection of mostly a Capella pieces by Gombert, Brahms and William Mathias. Proved the perfect alternative to Mrs Brown’s bastad Boys on Xmas night.

J’ai mal aux dents. J’ai mal aux pieds aussi!

Best wishes for 2023, all

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index