Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Complete

Edward Artemeyev - Solaris

Suicide - st

Grant-Lee Phillips - Yuletide EP

Cocteau Twins - Snow (single)

Ravi Shankar - Homage to Mahatma Gandhi

Rush - Power Windows

Savoy Brown Blues Band - Shake Down

V.A. - Classic Blues Songs Vol. 20 (Blues Images)

V.A. - Psychedelic Gems 3

V.A. - Psychedelic Underground 3

V.A. - Psychedelic Underground 4
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jan 01, 2023, 11:42
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 31 December 2022 CE
Jan 01, 2023, 11:41
This week’s listens:

Altered Images ‘Mascara Streakz’ - what could have been a really naff comeback now starts to sound like a career high the more I hear it. It’s that old fashioned thing of a 45 minute album with ten tracks, all
being irresistible modern pop. There’s a feeling of familiarity throughout, though only one song has a whiff of plagiarism about it (it’ll be obvious if you hear it). It should also be noted that Claire Grogan has never sung better. I do hope this doesn’t sink into obscurity;

Marillion ‘Holidays in Eden’ (Deluxe Edition) - like our beloved Drude, Marillion have floated my boat this year with excellent material both old and new. I’d forgotten just how good this distinctly un-prog set was and is. Oh to be thirty again;

Daevid Allen ‘Banana Moon’ - hard to believe that Gary Wright - yes, he of Spooky Tooth, ‘Dream Weaver’ and ‘All Things Must Pass’ fame - is part of the combo that put this manic, shambolic music together. God knows what was being smoked but my, this is some well-weird shit - in a mostly good way I should add. Needs plenty of chemical or, in my own case, alcohol-based hors d’oeuvres before listening to get the full effect;

Gong ‘You’ - Allen in slightly saner mode, backed by a band at their awesome peak in invention and execution. The moment in ‘A Sprinkling Of Clouds’ when Pierre Moerlin’s drums enter the fray is, for me, one of the most spine tingling in rock;

The Beatles ‘Revolver’ 2CD edition - the new stereo remix is weak and pointless (stick to the gutsier mono original) but the second disc of outtakes veers between fascinating and essential;

Faust ‘The Faust Tapes’ - incredible to think that soon it’ll be fifty years since this totally unique record first entered my still un-teenage life. It still yields new pleasures (and, occasionally, the creeps) every time I play it;

Derek and the Dominos ‘Layla’ - the music that Clapton made immediately before his heroin holiday remains his best for me. This, along with ‘Blind Faith’ and his eponymous solo debut still sound fresh and vital;

Simple Minds ‘Direction Of The Heart’ - bought for £5 at HMV last week which I guess is about what it’s worth. Despite the quality of musicianship, and the title, heart is what seems to be lacking here. Time to retire, lads?

Yes ‘Relayer’ - three quarters of which is top rank Yes. The remaining quarter, ‘To Be Over’, is one of prog’s dreariest clunkers;

Link Wray ‘Link Wray’ and ‘Beans and Fatback’ - swampy greatness from Wray’s second coming;

Chick Corea ‘Piano Improvisations Vol.1’ - at least as vital and influential as Keith Jarrett’s solo piano debut ‘Facing You’ from the same year and label;

Emahoy Tsegue Maryam Guebrou S/T - not dissimilar in style and mood from the last named, but this time from the fingers of an exceedingly talented Ethiopian nun;

Tyondai Braxton ‘Telekinesis’ - well, you wouldn’t expect the son of Anthony Braxton to create anything over-accessible and, natch, this needs effort on the listener’s part. But its positive vibes far exceed the negative over its 35 minute duration. Do try this;

Susan Spain-Dunk: Kentish Downs (BBC Scottish SO/Bell) - very Elgarian but tuneful overture by a forgotten female composer;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (LPO/De Sabata) - surprisingly restrained take on an apocalyptic masterpiece, highlighting its lyrical qualities through the crumbly sound;

Beethoven: Symphonies 7 & 9 (BPO/Karajan) - Herbie’s 1962 recordings throb with vim and vigour;

Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1-5 (Zhang/Philadelphia Orch/Stutzmann) - solid, poetic performances with nothing controversial about them. I enjoyed this set very much;

Sibelius: Symphony no.6 (Oslo PO/Makela) - this excellently played, conducted and recorded performance exemplifies the cycle as a whole, rightly given big critical licks in the classical press earlier this year;

Mozart: String Quartet no.23 in F, K 590 (Chiaroscuro Quartet) - I’m gradually coming round to this ensemble’s vibrato-free sound. Their performance of Mozart’s final string quartet is beautifully considered and, with all repeats observed, 38 minutes long - but doesn’t feel that long;

Messiaen: Vingt Regards sur i’Enfant Jesus (Bertrand Chamayou) - ace recent recording that emphasises the sheer variety at play within this giant cycle;

Messiaen: La Nativite du Seigneur (Tom Winpenny) - and my fifth recording of this awesome organ epic is the most powerful yet. Had Naxos CDs still been cheap, this would be a bargain. As it is, it’s as good a single disc version of the work as I’ve ever heard, and an interesting contrast to

Messiaen: La Nativite du Seigneur (Olivier Messiaen) - despite being inevitably dated as sound, the composer’s own 1956 recording remains unique and thrilling;

BBC Singers ‘Music for Christmas’ - old BBC Music cover CD with a sublime selection of mostly a Capella pieces by Gombert, Brahms and William Mathias. Proved the perfect alternative to Mrs Brown’s bastad Boys on Xmas night.

J’ai mal aux dents. J’ai mal aux pieds aussi!

Best wishes for 2023, all

Dave x
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Edited Jan 01, 2023, 15:27
Jan 01, 2023, 13:50
Bjork - Vespertine. Career high? Hasn't done anything that has really excited me in a while.

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple. Love the production on this. Wonder if he has done anything else of note? *Edit, I already know the answer to this - the previous album. I did also manage to forget that production duties were from DJ Danger Mouse

Six Organs of Admittance - School of the Flower. My first and fav SOOA album

Boombip - Corey MB

Bonzo dog doo dah Band - Tadpoles - Keynsham.

Onto Spotify 2020's stuff:

Mermaid Chunky - Vest. Playful DIY music. One of the best bands I saw in 2022. Yes

Max Winter - One thousand lonely places. Yes

Matt Berry - Phantom Birds. Proggy 70's singer songwriter kinda vibe. Yes

Magik Markers - 2020. Nearly but not quite

Ludovico Einaudi - Cinema. No

Lucrecia Dalt - !Ay!. No

Low - Hey what. No

Lost Girls et al - Menneskekollektivet. It's a provisional yes from me

Lavinia Blackwall - Muggington Lanesend. Not much wrong with this but it is still a no

Keeley Forsyth - Phantom Limbs EP - Limbs - Debris. A yes to them all. Disturbed gothic nico type stuff. Saw her at Seachange this year and loved her

Johnny Flynn - Lost in the cedar wood. No

Death's Dynamic Shroud - Darklife. No

Aquarian - The Snake that eats itself. No

Alex Rex - Andromeda. One of the creative forces from Trembling Bells. Yes

Bjork - Fossora. No. Can't be bothered with this

Backxwash - His happiness shall come first... No

Cheekface - Too much to ask. No

Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee. No

Jane Weaver - Flock. A reluctant no.

Jah Wobble - Metal Box rebuilt in dub. Not sure how this compares to the original but still intriguing so a yes. Maybe more accessible than the stone fire classic original
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Edited Jan 04, 2023, 21:35
Jan 01, 2023, 16:33
Alternative - If They Treat You Like Shit, Act Like Manure

Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase / Tomorrow's Harvest

David Bowie - Heathen / All Saints

Broadcast - Investigate Witch Cults In The Radio Age (with The Focus Group) / Berberian Sound Studio OST

Can - Monster Movie / The Lost Tapes (disc 1)

Caravan - The Show Of Our Lives (comp LP)

Don Cherry - Organic Music Society / Eternal Now / Brown Rice

Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll / Heaven Or Las Vegas

Brian Eno - Another Green World / Discreet Music / Evening Star

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

Future Sound Of London/Amorphous Androgynous - Lifeforms / Alice In Ultraland

KLF - Chill Out

Kraftwerk - S/t / Autobahn / The Man-Machine

Neu! - Neu! 2 / Neu! '75

Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising / EVOL / Sister

Swans - White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity / Love Of Life

V/A

In A Moment (Ghost Box)

Nuggets
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jan 01, 2023, 18:44
Klaus Schulze - Deus Arrakis

Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs

Jon & Vangelis - The Best Of

The Beach Boys - Sail On Sailor: 1972 Box Set

Queen - The Miracle: Deluxe Edition
Queen - News Of The World (Raw sessions)

Goat - Oh Death

Richard Dawson - The Ruby Cord

Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind

ABBA - The Album
ABBA - Voulez Vous
ABBA - Super Trouper

The Jesus & Mary Chain - 21 Singles 1984-1988

Johnny Flynn - Six Signs: Six Songs (Inspired By Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 01, 2023, 23:15
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Jah Wobble - Metal Box rebuilt in dub. Not sure how this compares to the original but still intriguing so a yes. Maybe more accessible than the stone fire classic original

I do kinda enjoy this, though the 'fake' John L vocalist stylee kinda pisses me off, and I do wish it was a lot more dubbed out, as it is essentially the same as Metal Box, give or take.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2023, 00:03
Jan 01, 2023, 23:46
Hep pie new year to one and all. Soundtrax = ....

Cope - Jehovahkill

Fun Boy Three - ST/Waiting

Specials - Best Of

The Creatures - A Bestiary

Can - Delay 1968/Unlimited Edition

Duir - Stout Guardian of the Door
Was kinda chuffed to discover that the 'band' had reactivated from the ruins of Sons of T.C. Lethbridge etc. and recorded a couple more records up on Bandcamp. https://duir1.bandcamp.com/

Hawkwind - ST/In Search Of Space/ Space Ritual

Lee Perry and New Age Doom - S/T

Linval Thompson – Negrea Love Dub

Coil - Live Lodz

Primal Scream - Vanishing Point /Evil Heat/ Echo Dek
Always surprised at how many Primals albums and singles that I have on the shelves, but I'm guessing that the above three are the ones that get the most spins. Do love the track 'Stuka' off of VP, perfect bit of modern dub. Wish they would put out a collection of their b-sides, there really are some stunners in the catalogue. Particularly love their version of the Clash' Know Your Rights, and The Mysterians '96 Tears'. Their own composition 'How Does It Feel To Belong' is another firm fav' in the style of Spacemen 3/Spiritualized. Loads more I could mention...
How Does It Feel.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2VioegvG70
96 Tears... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgGfr_6s3A
Know Your Rights... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7gTDRgdKc

Tangs - Raum
Solid outing
Raum... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BOIDRjfyg

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-u4KeW7Zw&list=PLvsYXqtYjMYdDEVUHUw99aZujnMyHDY0y

Various - Silberland Vol 1: The Psychedelic Side of Kosmische Musik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7bIl9_dsoQ&list=OLAK5uy_l7hkvUfWPEKv2jfLdaxF9Jh-APhlIN8qY

Various - Various - Jon Savage's Cymbals Clashing Everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxCfoojJULk&list=PLdF6PNYTlApRC-6xK9YNS8R-z9NVdI8x2

Specials - Best Of

Other distractions....

Nice little film called 'Cassette: A Documentary mixtape' up on one of the streaming services interviewing the compact cassette inventor (who is a remarkably forward looking mofo at 87 in 2016 when the docu was made) and various talking heads chatting about it's cultural importance. Maybe only interesting for peeps of a certain age? Also caught the KLF movie on one of the cable channels. Enjoyed it immensely.

Also picked up a couple of v cheap battery powered synths to fuck about with inna DOPE. early Cabs stylee (well hopefully, I've not pissed about with any kinda music in a very very long time... still yet to get to grips with Midi and DAW tech tbh)

Anyways, here's hoping 2023 sees us better. Keep Well.x
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jan 02, 2023, 00:01
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Altered Images ‘Mascara Streakz’ - what could have been a really naff comeback now starts to sound like a career high the more I hear it. It’s that old fashioned thing of a 45 minute album with ten tracks, all
being irresistible modern pop. There’s a feeling of familiarity throughout, though only one song has a whiff of plagiarism about it (it’ll be obvious if you hear it). It should also be noted that Claire Grogan has never sung better. I do hope this doesn’t sink into obscurity;x

Sounds intriguing, will give it a go. I feel very much the same about last years Soft Cell album 'Happiness Not Included' and the post Gabi D.A.F. album 'Nur Noch Einer'. They are both fine albums.

Soft Cell... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hz5ZohU44&list=PLSBWvYm8t6uZb6sohX5ZZdKY5C0aZc7-L
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 02, 2023, 11:29
yes quite similar and not particularly rebuilt in dub. Slightly less edgy maybe. Still enjoyed hearing it though
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jan 02, 2023, 17:24
The Barracudas- Drop Out With The Barracudas
Lovelock- Washington Park
Modulo 1000- Nao Fale Com Paredes
More Experience- Electric Laboratory of High Space Experience
Hall & Oates- H2O
Scott Walker- 'Til The Band Comes In
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique