Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Dec 18, 2022, 13:40
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 December 2022 CE
Dec 18, 2022, 02:48
The Beau Brummels - Introducing The Beau Brummels

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band – Vol. 3 - A Child's Guide To Good & Evil

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Where's My Daddy

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

A Certain Ratio - Early

Buzzcocks - The Peel Sessions

The Fool - st

The Deep - Psychedelic Moods

101 Strings - Astro Sounds From Beyond the Year 2000

The Ceyleib People - Tanyet

Asobi Seksu - Rewolf

Echo & The Bunnymen - Porcupine

B.C. Gilbert, G. Lewis - 8 Time

Bruce Gilbert - Music For Fruit

Bruce Gilbert - Insiding

Bruce Gilbert - Ab Ovo

The Durutti Column – The Guitar And Other Machines

The Durutti Column – Four Factory Records (6 cd box)

Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers

The Sensational Guitars Of Dan & Dale (Sun Ra & The Blues Project): – Batman And Robin

The Charlatans - The Amazing Charlatans

The Moving Sidewalks - Flash

Klaus Schulze - Deus Arrakis

Bernard Herrmann / Franz Waxman / Miklós Rózsa / Berlin Symphony Orchestra / Isaiah Jackson – Herrmann / Waxman / Rózsa
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 December 2022 CE
Dec 18, 2022, 08:18
Bridget St John - Songs For The Gentle Man

The Beach Boys - The Fading Rock Group Revival
The Beach Boys - Add Some Music
The Beach Boys - Sun Flower

John Lennon - Mind Games

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Liverpool

Opel - The Complete Wicker Hymns

Stina Nordenstam - This Is Stina Nordenstam
Stina Nordenstam - The World Is Saved

Belle & Sebastian - John Peel Christmas Party

Dr. Strangely Strange - Kip Of The Serenes
Dr. Strangely Strange - Heavy Petting

Mr And Mrs Smith And Mr Drake - Mr And Mrs Smith And Mr Drake
The Sea Nymphs - The Sea Nymphs
The Sea Nymphs - On The Dry Land
Cardiacs - Guns

The Police - Ghost In The Machine
The Police - Synchronicity

Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure
Brian Wilson - What I Really Want For Christmas

The Rotary Connection - Peace

Propaganda - Noise & Girls Come Out To Play

Paul Ferris - Witchfinder General OST (Trunk Records complete their 'unholy trinity' of Folk Horror soundtrack albums with a pop-up Vincent Price gatefold sleeve)

Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Dec 18, 2022, 09:27
My Sunday feeling’s coming on over me:

Gong ‘Paris - Bataclan Live, 20 May 1973’ - fabbo mixing desk recording of a complete Gong gig caught betwixt ‘Flying Teapot’ and ‘Angels Egg’, revealing just what a tight and unique band they were in their pomp. Great fun too. And to think that ‘You’ was still to come;

Gong ‘Flying Teapot’ - sounding resplendent in its latest Virgin remaster - just like the original LP, in fact - and remarkably youthful for its near 50 years of age;

Marillion ‘Yule Be Glad’ - superb live recording from November 2021 encompassing the whole Hogarth era from ‘Seasons End’ to their latest epic. Talking of which:

Marillion ‘An Hour Before It’s Dark’ - okay, I’ve made my decision: this perfectly realised and executed record is my album of the year (assuming Santa won’t bring me a better one). If you don’t already know it, and have but a smidgeon of interest in the wide gamut of contemporary prog, I beg you to try this. I’m of the humble opinion that Marillion rival Radiohead as the most
creative band currently performing. There, I’ve said it;

David Sylvian ‘Dead Bees On A Cake’ - Sylvian’s last “regular” album is a mish-mash of styles with only his sublime baritone as a unifying factor. There are many good things here (‘Krishna Blues’ is, for me, a career highlight), but I prefer the more abstract road he’s taken thereafter;

Can ‘Saw Delight’ - even when uncool, Can were cool. Dig Michael Karoli’s magic on ‘Call Me’ then try to argue;

Jethro Tull ‘This Was’ - sounds little like anything released under the Tull name afterwards, but remains one hell of a debut LP, in whatever mix you choose to play. I also love the attendant single tracks and rarities included in the album’s 50th anniversary box set. I wonder how they’d have progressed had Mick Abrahams remained. Perhaps something like:

Blodwyn Pig ‘Ahead Rings Out’ and ‘Getting To This’ - my affection for which remain as per my ancient reviews in the Unsung section;

The Good, The Bad and The Queen ‘Merrie Land’ - poignant and morose vignettes for a country which, at the time of their creation, was still to get so much worse;

Calvin Harris ‘Ready For The Weekend’ - well this is just sheer fun, innit;

Uriah Heep ‘Very ‘Eavy, Very ‘Umble’ - another ace debut from so long ago from what should have been every Mk II Purple fan’s second fave band;

Fairport Convention S/T - like ‘This Was’, an atypical 1968 debut but a very decent one: a delightfully North London take on Americana. Ian Matthews comes across like a choirboy Art Garfunkel, and Richard Thompson’s tense lead guitar is fully formed from the start. Judy Dyble (RIP) almost outsings Joni on a great version of ‘Chelsea Morning’;

Wigwam ‘Titan’s Wheel’ - 2002 comeback album by Finland’s finest, not up to their peak years perhaps but welcome anyway. Jim Pembroke RIP;

Peter Warren ‘Bass Is’ - fascinating free jazz session from 1970 featuring four bass pig virtuosi - often all at once - and other luminaries like Chick Corea and John Surman. Rewards repeated listening;

Arild Andersen ‘A Molde Concert’ - vibrant 1981 date driven by Alphonse Mouzon on drums;

Arild Andersen ‘Affirmation’ - which is much more introspective in a typical ECM way. The man’s still got it at 77;

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op.2 no.1 and Op.26 (Maurizio Pollini) - effortless playing, beautifully realised, of two early LvB keyboard masterpieces;

Mozart: Prussian String Quartets (Chiaroscuro Quartet) - having read lots of rave reports of this young quartet I took a punt on this. There’s real subtlety and taste here, but I’m a little troubled by the leader’s intonation;

Schubert: Symphony no.8 ‘Unfinished’ (Le Concert des Nations/Savall) - which, given an unusually brief reading of its second movement, seems particularly unfinished here. Mighty fine, though;

Messiaen: La Nativite du Seigneur (Olivier Latry) - the current issue of BBC Music proclaims this as the top recording of Messiaen’s anything-but-festive masterpiece. I’m not so sure. Latry tends toward a lyrical rather than spectacular approach which works well most of the time but lacks real muscle when the music requires it, the work’s epic concluding movement excepted. For all the wonders of the Notre Dame organ displayed here, I prefer Hans Ola Ericsson or Gillian Weir’s more powerful and incisive readings, both of which I also played this week. Whatever, this is music that trounces Slade, Wizzard, Shakin’ Stevens and George Michael in my personal Now! chr**tm*s reckoning. Look to the future now with THIS mother;

Anthony Hammond ‘Une Nuit de Noel’ - excellent recital of seasonal Parisian organ music from across the centuries;

Schoenberg: Three Piano Pieces, Op.11 (Maurizio Pollini) - Schoenberg caught at the cusp between romanticism and atonality but, all technical categorisation aside, great music;

Francis Jackson: Three Carols for Advent, Op.73 (Exon Singers/Matthew Owens) - festive music without cliche or tedium from the pen of one of our most distinguished church music composers who we lost in January at just 104 years of age.

Do what you feel what you need to do.

Jolly vibes to all

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Dec 18, 2022, 11:48
Angelo Badalamenti - Music From Twin Peaks / Twin Peaks: Season Two Music & More / Fire Walk With Me OST

Can - Ogam Ogat / Horrortrip In The Paperhouse / Future Days & Past Nights / Radio Waves / Sacrilege (V/A)

Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music (with John Coltrane) / Huntington Ashram Monastery / Journey In Satchidananda

Julian Cope - England Expectorates
Dope - Dope On Drugs / Village Idiot Dope

Espers - II / III

Fraction - Moon Blood

The Incredible String Band - 'U' / Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending / Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air

Roland Kirk - Kirk In Copenhagen / I Talk With Spirits / Rip, Rig & Panic / Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith

The Mandrake Memorial - S/t / Medium / Puzzle

Bill Nelson - Luminous / Simplex / Crimsworth

Portishead - Roseland NYC Live

Psychic TV - Live In Reykjavik / A Real Swedish Live Show / Allegory & Self / Kondole / Peak Hour

Frank Sinatra - Songs For Young Lovers / In The Wee Small Hours

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflamable Material / All The Best

Swans - Filth / Children Of God

Throbbing Gristle - Special Treatment / Heathen Earth / Live December 2004: A Souvenir Of Camber Sands

XTC - Nonsuch / Apple Venus Volume One
Andy Partridge - Fuzzy Warbles 1 - 3
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Dec 18, 2022, 12:48
Eric Dolphy- Hot, Cool & Latin
Eric Dolphy- Here and There
Ramones- Road to Ruin
The Deviants- Ptoof
Graham Parker- Howlin' Wind
Mighty Baby- Jug of Love
Steeleye Span- The Early Years
Steeleye Span- Below The Salt
Belbury Poly- The Willows
JoJo & The Teeth- No More Good News
Various Artists- The Resident Sampler #16- Tracks of the Year
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Dec 18, 2022, 18:11
Dec 18, 2022, 18:10
Holger Czukay/ Jah Wobble/Jaki Liebezeit - Full Circle.
Not an album I've really connected with in previous years, but this week it really hit the spot. Played pretty much nonstop at least once a day. I joked with the eldest that should I have a tombstone, the only words to put on it would be 'Post Punk/Electronic/Dub'.

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxymore
This tribute to Pierre Henry is Jarre's best album as far as I'm concerned. Musically, it kinda reminds me Of L.S.D. era Coil for some reason, but without the esoteric vibes and lyrics. The Binaural headphone mix is ok, but doesn't really stray much beyond normal stereo separation truth be told. Still, a very enjoyable journey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc8N5dgeAwY

V/A - Punk 45 - No Such Thing As Society...
Think The Mekons '32 Weeks' is my fav ever punk single.

David Sylvian/Holger Czukay - Plight and Premonition
Was out for an Icy jaunt over the Clent Hills the other day, a beautifulyl crisp, snowy and sunny day, and as I crested the top of Adams Hill near the Four Stones monument 'The Spiralling Of Winter Ghost' came on the headphones. The sun had just shrunk below the horizon, and an orange glow spanned the skyline with a slowly darkening yet perfectly clear blue sky above. The whole scene took on the same hue as a tobacco sunburst guitar (remember those) and the music just fitted the moment perfectly. I stood and shivered watching the sun slowly fade as the track played out, and thought of some of the sorely missed peeps the family has lost on the last few years. Quite a moment.

Hawkwind - X, In Search Of Space

Motorhead - Overkill

Magazine - Play 2CD

Burd Ellen - A Tarot of the Green Wood
This is a wonderful mix of trad folk stylings/vocalings with some Coil-esque electronics and acoustics. https://burdellen.bandcamp.com/album/a-tarot-of-the-green-wood

Cabaret Voltaire - Chance vs Causality

Richard H. Kirk - Disposable Half-Truths
Very old tape I found at the back of the bedroom cupboard. It's a pretty good release. V cabs as you might expect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYshjqE6Fg&list=PLEUtmr9t9qQTTcMTfAvsLYO0bvyeDl2zu

Keith Hudson - Flesh of My Skin Blood of My Blood

Liars - The Apple Drop
I keep returning to this periodically, Not their worst effort, but not the best either.

Luke Haines & Peter Buck - All the Kids Are Super Bummed Out
I quite enjoy this, as I do most things Haines tbh, but my other half absolutely hates it with a passion, so headphones are the order of the day for the most part. https://lukehainesofficial.bandcamp.com/album/all-the-kids-are-super-bummed-out

To Rococo Rot - The John Peel Sessions
I love Tarwater, and have tried over the years to dig TRR as they share some of the members, but to me, most of their releases sound like unfinished drafts. This is no different, I can't quite see the point of the release.
https://torococorot.bandcamp.com/album/the-john-peel-sessions

Various Artists - Southeast of Saturn, Vol. 2
Shoegaze I guess? I'm enjoying this more than vol:1
https://thirdmanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/southeast-of-saturn-vol-2
If you're curiousabout Vol:1... https://thirdmanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/southeast-of-saturn

Well that's about it. Can't say I'm feeling particularly festive, but then again, I never am at this time of year, the short days leave me in a mind fug.
Y'all keep well and stuff!
keith a
9574 posts

Dec 18, 2022, 21:33
The Wonderful & Frightening World Of... - The Fall
Slang King blew me away this week!

Time Booms X De Devil Dead – Lee Perry
The production occasionally gives away its age (late 1980's), but Perry really is on top from here. I remember hearing Music & Science Lovers on Peel and just having to get this album.

Also...
Fragments - Bonobo
Metrobolist – David Bowie
The Alias Sessions - Murcof
Vertigo Days - The Notwist
OT/TO – Fabio Orsi & TEZ
Album - PiL
Four Hands - Roedelius & Story
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Dec 19, 2022, 16:44
Akron/Family - S/T - Meek Warrior. Definitely one of my fav bands of the noughties. The eponymous album takes some beating

Cosmic Jokers - S/T

Apse - Spirit. Brooding post rock from the noughties. Not bad.

The Winkies - Peel Sessions

Then its onto the new stuff from the '20's'.

Simon Fisher Turner and family - Savage songs of brutality and food. By the extreme angels of parody. Bit of a novelty feel to it capturing his kid's imaginations with an ambient like backdrop. Unsure

Immersion - Nanocluster vol1. Nah

The illness with steve west and bob nastanovich EP. No

Ignacio Simon - Old friends. No

Idles - Ultra Mono. Yes yes yes.

Ichiko Aoba - Windswept Adan. Yes

Horselords - Comradely objects. No

Hiss Golden Messenger - Quietly Blowing it. No

Heather Leigh - Glory Days. Yes. Doesn't do much wrong with her intense and sinister ambience. Is there such a thing as dark ambient?

Go Go Penguin - S/T. No

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee at States End. Never managed to get into this band. Still making attempts...

Maja Lena - The Keeper. Almost but I can't have rats aboard my listening ship! Saw her support Rachel Dadd in Bodmin not long ago and got me curious - but it is a no

Aldous Harding - Warm Chris. Nope
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2022, 19:25
Dec 19, 2022, 19:24
garerama wrote:

Can - Ogam Ogat

I missed this one...a bootleg, I take it? What's on it/which period?
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Dec 19, 2022, 19:24
Love the succinct appraisals.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index