Jon Hassell / Brian Eno - Fourth World Vol. 1 Possible Musics

Music Emporium - st

The Savage Resurrection - st

The Golden Dawn - Power Plant

Gandalf - st

Bob Seger System - Mongrel

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Vol. 2

Shadows of Knight - Gloria

Shadows of Knight - Raw 'n' Alive at the Cellar, Chicago 1966!

The Stanley Brothers - Angel Band: The Classic Mercury Recordings

California Guitar Trio With Tony Levin And Pat Mastelotto – CG3+2

Richie Hawtin / Pete Namlook - From Within

Richie Hawtin / Pete Namlook - From Within 3

Organisation - Tone Float

Kraftwerk - st

Them - Time Out! Time In For Them

Fire - The Magic Shoemaker

Lazy Smoke - Corridor of Faces

Rainbow Ffolly - Sallies Fforth

The Third Rail - Id Music

Julie Driscoll / Brian Auger & The Trinity – Open

Clear Light - st

The Litter - Distortions

V.A. - Pebbles Vol. 1 (ESD)

V.A. - Pebbles Vol. 5
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 December 2022 CE
Dec 11, 2022, 09:56
This week’s aural stimulants:

Paul Weller ‘Will Of The People’ - Weller’s given his fans a real seasonal treat with this box of rarities, featuring outtakes of consistently high invention alongside revelatory remixes;
John Martyn ‘Grace And Danger’ - the album that should have made Martyn a star: radio friendly with just enough edge to appeal to his long term fanbase. Sadly - or perhaps thankfully - it didn’t;
Jimi Hendrix ‘Band Of Gypsys’ - far funkier than the Experience, I often wonder how this combo would have developed had Hendrix lived longer. This is one of the most blistering live albums in the entire rock canon and, to my ears at least, the finest album released in the man’s lifetime;
Aztec Camera ‘Stray’ - where Roddy went rocky. He’d made - and was still to make - much better records;
The Smile ‘A Light For Attracting Attention’ - another year with no new Radiohead album is partially rescued by this. In fact, had it been released under the R name I think I’d have been none the wiser, and I mean that as a compliment to its creators;
Anti-Pasti ‘Four Sore Points’ EP - I’m increasingly of the opinion that punk’s second wave was at least as radical as its first. Imagine grunge without this. Raw as owt;
Brian Eno ‘Foreverandevernomore’ - not bowled over on first hearing, though to be honest I’ve always struggled with Eno’s nasal voice, maturer though it sounds now. I’ll need more time with this;
Marillion ‘An Hour Before It’s Dark’ - although there’s still a bit of December left, this is odds-on favourite to be my album of 2022;
Peter Hammill ‘Fool’s Mate’ - some of Hammill’s early songs sound a bit twee compared with what was to follow, but his ability to write catchy tunes might surprise those only familiar with his VdGG excesses. I really enjoyed hearing this again after several years;
Gong ‘Camembert Electrique’ - one of those records that seems to yield new delights every time I hear it and, in my case, that’s hundreds of times, having first purchased it in 1974 for 59p. The latest Charly remaster (at a somewhat higher price) brings its weird joys into pure daylight;
John Illsley ‘VIII’ - Illsley’s albums sound more like (make that JUST like) Dire Straits these days but, being a fan (yeah, I know), I’m not complaining;
Barre Phillips & Gyorgy Kurtag Jr ‘Face a Face’ - short but sweet collection of abstract, double bass-treated atmospherics; one of those records that, as Julian says about ‘Zeit’, becomes the room it’s being played in;
Bernstein: West Side Story (Bernstein) - using opera singers in principal roles makes this sound a little arty-farty in places, but having the composer himself on the rostrum more than compensates, and the ensemble players rock;
Mahler: Symphony no.9 (VPO/Rattle) - Rattle’s first recording of this sublime work only really comes to life in the third movement. After that it’s first rate, the finale’s coda gossamer still;
Beethoven: Symphony no.6 (Cologne CO/Mueller-Bruehl) - satisfying, straight down the middle interpretation from a cheapo Naxos download;
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll/Haydn: Symphony no.93/Ravel: Daphis et Chloe Suite no.2/Tchaikovsky: Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture/Brahms: Symphony no.3 (all cond. Guido Cantelli) - despite being mostly mono, the clarity and precision of these masterly readings is quite astonishing. Cantelli’s tragic early death in 1956 robbed us of a supreme talent almost comparable to that of his mentor Toscanini;
Haydn: String Quartet in G minor, Op.20 no.3 (Salomon Quartet) - featuring a slow movement as poignant as anything the composer wrote in later life, this is one of Haydn’s earliest chamber masterpieces. Period strings add real bite to this reading;
Schubert: Piano Sonatas in D, D 664 & D 850 (Alfred Brendel) - “engrossing” is the word here, for both the music and the playing.

The angels of this world are not on the walls of churches.

Dib dib

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Dec 11, 2022, 10:44
Bridget St John - Ask Me No Questions

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

Windy & Carl - Portal
Windy & Carl - Drawing Of Sound
Windy & Carl - Antarctica
Windy & Carl - Depths

Bee Gees - Odessa

Pet Shop Boys - Very
Pet Shop Boys - Relentless

The Human League - Reproduction
The Human League - Travelogue
The Human League - Dare
The Human League - Fascination

Low - Ones & Sixes
Low - Double Negative
Low - Hey What

Stina Nordenstam - Dynamite
Stina Nordenstam - People Are Strange

Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions

Scott Walker - Bish Bosch
Scott Walker & Sunn O))) - Soused

Cardiacs - Sing To God

The Beach Boys - Sunflower

Paul Simon - Hearts And Bones
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Dec 11, 2022, 11:20
Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase / Tomorrow's Harvest

Kate Bush - The Dreaming / Hounds Of Love

Can - Monster Movie / Delay 1968 / Soundtracks / Cannabilism III

Cocteau Twins - EPs: Peppermint Pig / Sunburst & Snowblind / Tiny Dynamine / Echoes In A Shallow Bay

Miles Davis - Agharta / Pangaea

Gong (& related) - Gong Est Mort ... Vive Gong / Gongmaison / Shapeshifter / She Made The World Magenta (Mother Gong) / Electric Shiatsu (Goddess T) / I Am Your Egg (Gilli Smith, Daevid Allen & Orlando Allen)

Peter Hammill - The Future Now / pH7 / A Black Box

Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia / Deluxe / Documents 1975

Kraftwerk - S/t / Autobahn

La Dusseldorf - S/t / Viva / La Individuellos

The Last Poets - This Is Madness

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything / Loveless / mbv

The Mystic Astrologic Crystal Band - Flowers Never Cry

Bill Nelson - Sound-on-Sound (Red Noise) / After The Satellite Sings

Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies / Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space bonus cds SP50 & SP60 / Royal Albert Hall

Nana Vasconcelos - Contaminacao

V/A - Come & Get It: The Best Of Apple Records
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2022, 12:07
Dec 11, 2022, 12:06
Just off for a chilly hike, but thought I'd stick up a soundtracks as I've not in a bit. Since I lost/dropped my trust ancient MP3 walkmen a while ago, have resorted to using old phones as music players. Found a really old samsung in the back of drawer and was pleasantly surprised by what was on it. I'm guessing it was last used about 2014, cos Tarwater album 'Adrift' seems to have been the most recent addition

Tarwater - Adrift

V/A 70 Years of Sunshine
Interesting mix of artists - https://www.amazon.com/70-Years-Sunshine-Various-artists/dp/B00CIAI6LK

John Foxx and the Maths - The Shape Of Things

Iggy - New Values

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Acid King - Zoraoster

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 3
Dunno anything about this. I'm guessing its some kinda unofficial remix thingy, though no artist names mentioned. It's not the more recent 3D mixes as it's 2013 at the latest. Can't find owt on the web either. Has a roughed up cover of the Autobahn sigil on the cover. Mysterious! It's pretty enjoyable though. Edit... Could be this in fact, though this post is 2019 and has a different cover....
https://www.radiosumadinac.org/strana-muzika/30817-kraftwerk-remixes-remastered.html

Bong - Idle Days On The Yann

The Black Dog - Liber Collected

White Manna - Live Frequencies

Various Soul Jazz - Punk 45 - There is No Such Thing As Society....

Glaxo Babies - Put Me On The Guest List

Pop Group - Y

ADULT - The Way Things Fall

White Hills - Timeless Tracks for Aural Pleasure

Hope y'all are doing fine. Finally kicked the bronchitis after nearly 2 months. That was a fecker fer sure!
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2022, 13:34
Dec 11, 2022, 12:21
Blyth Power - Alnwick & Tyne. The jolliest voice from the anarcho punk scene

Blyth Power - The Guns Of Castle Cary

Joolz - Hex

Fun Boy Three / The Colourfield – The Singles

HGich.T - a good old catch up on these entertaining Germans' latest few videos. Favourite from this lot:
'teddy lebt 2'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vugCx4j9RNk : D
and 'Geistig am Start'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8dqzfGUTw

Robert Wyatt - EPs

COB - Moyshe McStiff And The Tartan Lancers Of The Sacred Heart

Sergey Kuryokhin - Sparrow Oratorium

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - The Best Years Of Our Lives

The Ilk - The Old Straight Track. Another fantastic offering by someone from around these parts. As someone who struggles to be patient enough to have even a thirty second intro, I love the long build ups characteristic of The Ilk's works. Reminiscent of his Brigg Fair, the title track features such a build up. With tones and colours which suit me very nicely, I even saw a giant Professor Quatermass (his face, at least) amongst the visions in the sky ;-) And hats off to the collaborating musicians...
https://theilk1.bandcamp.com/releases
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Dec 11, 2022, 19:11
Ramones- Road To Ruin
Pat Benatar- In The Heat Of The Night
Medicine Head- Best of
Byrds, Steppenwolf etc. - Candy OST
Bowie, Kinks, Sandie Shaw etc. - Anthology of British Rock
MAP 71- Blood Fruit

Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain
Ornette Coleman- Tomorrow Is The Question
Ornette Coleman- The Shape Of Jazz To Come
Charles Mingus- Mingus Ah Um
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Dec 11, 2022, 21:10
Acoustic Ladyland - Skinny Grin. I miss this band although Melt Yourself Down are still going I think. Anyway, nice mixture of punk/rock sensibilities and modern jazz

13 & God - S/T

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

The Associates - Sulk

Then onto more exploration of albums from this decade on Spotify:

Gnod - Easy to build, hard to destroy. Yes

Glass Beams - Mirage EP. Yes

Ghost Poet - I grow tired but dare not fall asleep (again). You know where you are with GP albums. Great production reminiscent of a modern Tricky. It's a yes

Georgia Ruth - Mai. No

Gary Rostock - Deep state. Initially a yes.

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg - Stumpwork. Like the idea of this band more than their output. She does come up with some great lyrics, but doesn't quite do it for me

The Barefoot Bandit - Hello Welcome. No

Fucked Up - Year of the horse I-IV. Yes

Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia. No

The Smile - Light for attracting attention. No

Palm - Nicks and grazes. No

Gilla Band - Most Normal. No

Black Country, New Road - Ants from up here. Nope. Maybe if this was their first album I'd think differently

Animal Collective - Time Skiffs. No
keith a
9574 posts

Dec 12, 2022, 09:33
Glad you are feeling better. Things don't half linger these days!

Anyway, not much listening for me this week...

Grotesque – The Fall
Fall Heads Roll – The Fall
I finished reading Steve Pringle's excellent You Must Get Them All: The Fall On Record last week. I intended doing what I did with the McCartney Lyrics book. Listen to the song during, just before or just after reading the relevant part. Sure enough I played Live At The Witch Trials and Dragnet after reading about them, but then I got so into the book that I waltzed ahead! This really is an essential read for a Fall fan. Every album is discussed in chronological order, every track thereon 'reviewed', with the Fall story constantly chugging away in the background. It's informative and entertaining, whether you agree with Pringle's own personal tastes (I did for the most part). And what's more it will encourage you to listen to those albums again. Hence these two here.

Also...
OT/TO – Fabio Orsi & TEZ
Sonancy - Loop
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Dec 13, 2022, 20:47
Yeah, that bug just wouldn't shift. Not had a case of a cold go that bad since I was a kid. Anyhoo...
In a similar ilk to you Fall sojourn, after reading the wonderful 'Theme For Great Cities' book I came across the website for Simple Minds which listed most of the lyrics and some of the stories behind them.
http://www.simpleminds.org/sm/songs/songs.htm
TBH, It turns out that the lyrics I've been singing to many of their songs over the years are totally wrong. Mind you, the mixing and phrasing of those early albums don't make it easy. I had no idea that the song - 'The King Is White and In The Crowd' was about the assassination of Egyptian President Sadat. I always thought it was a sort of Heart of Darkness story. Websites worth a trawl through, though I only bothered with the first 5 or 6 albums, the pre stadium stuff.

Will have a look out for The Fall book, always like it when you experience well known tunes in a different light.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index