The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

Christine Perfect - The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 December 2022 CE
Dec 04, 2022, 10:02
This week’s music to avoid the World Cup to:

Nick Drake ‘Time Of No Reply’ - the earliest (?) and best of Drake’s posthumous albums, unearthing genuine jewels devoid of annoying post-production;
Mogwai ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’ - well, the title says it all, doesn’t it. Made ME smile anyway;
George Harrison ‘Living In The Material World’ - my favourite Beatle solo LP moves me more every time I hear it. Some strange chord changes and time signatures are going down here, but somehow they work, resulting in some achingly emotive songs;
Barclay James Harvest ‘Early Morning Onwards’ - good, cheapo sampler of BJH’s first phase with some choice early 45 sides thrown in;
Altered Images ‘Mascara Streakz’ - nothing earth moving, just high quality modern pop is all. A most enjoyable comeback. Mind you, New Order could sue over ‘Double Reflection’;
Camel ‘Mirage’ - their brief Sinclair era aside, Camel are a band I’ve admired rather than loved. Their second album is a slow grower though. 48 years after its release, I now get it. Prog without tears;
Eddie and the Hot Rods ‘Life On The Line’ - blistering sophomore LP by the ever-underrated Hot Rods. Too slick for punks, too punky for old farts, their fame came and went far too quickly. This was their finest hour;
Wishbone Ash S/T - bit of an unsung debut album this, methinks. Loud and vibrant, yet tuneful too. I’ve underrated this for too long;
Tyrannosaurus Rex ‘Unicorn’ - the very different ‘Electric Warrior’ excepted, this is my go-to Bolan LP, a perfect snapshot of its hippy time with Marc and Steve in perfect accord. I came to it relatively late (via its post-fame pairing with ‘A Beard Of Stars’) but ‘Unicorn’ has enriched over three quarters of my life;
Discharge ‘Fight Back’ EP - Discharge’s second EP from 1980 presents them at their out-and-out punkiest: five short and exhilarating blasts of raucous, tinny mayhem;
Roddy Frame ‘Surf’ - a quiet classic;
Man ‘Back Into The Future’ - Man’s studio albums sound better to me now than they did back in their day, rendering the title of this 1973 opus somewhat apposite. Micky Jones (no, not him from The Clash nor him from Foreigner) was one serious axe virtuoso, as is well exemplified here;
Paul Weller ‘Will Of The People’ - I love odds’n’ends albums like this that flow so well they end up being played more often than the regular ones, such as Nirvana’s ‘Incesticide’ in my case. I suspect that CD1 of this generous box will endure likewise;
King Crimson ‘In The Court Of The Crimson King’ (film) - endurable rather than enjoyable for me, alas. Much as I dig most of the music released under the KC name, I can’t help be repelled by the unnecessary preciousness its leader places upon it, and himself. For chissakes man, can’t you just rock? (Maybe I’d have enjoyed it more had I not sat through the ludicrously pompous Pseuds’ Corner intro and post-film Q&A session that accompanied the premiere);
Gary Burton Quintet & Eberhard Weber ‘Passengers’ - there’s a track on this called ‘B & G (Midwestern Night’s Dream’ which is as ethereal as any music I’ve ever heard. The whole album though is just lovely, the blend of acoustic and electric instruments nigh-perfect;
Miles Davis ‘Milestones’ - ‘Kind Of Blue’ may be the classic Miles quintet’s most lauded album - and why not, it’s damn near perfect - but ‘Milestones’ is almost as great, and it’s livelier too. Tell me that whoever penned the Tomorrow’s World theme hadn’t dug its title track and I’ll give you the most overt chinny reckon you’ve ever seen;
Schubert: Symphony no.9 (VPO/Solti) - the more I hear the Great C major, the more I marvel at its delights. Solti plays it straight and that’s okay by me;
Berg: Three Orchestral Pieces, Op.6 and Altenberg Lieder, Op.4 (Margaret Price/LSO/Abbado) - Berg’s greatest orchestral score allied with some of his strangest music, pretty well definitively rendered in this 1971 recording;
Artur Pizarro ‘Chopin Reminiscences’ - sensitive recital of mostly well-known Chopin works by one of the finest pianists of today;
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op.101 & Op.106 (Maurizio Pollini) - Pollini’s new recordings of these late masterpieces are more introspective and considered than his classic 1976 versions. Maybe it’s sign of my similarly advancing age that I prefer his maturer readings;
Timothy Wakerell ‘The St Paul’s Gem’ - entertaining recital of baroque, classical and romantic organ music superbly recorded on the Drake organ at St Paul’s Cathedral.

It’s a messed up, f**ked up, f**king system!

Rock on

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Dec 04, 2022, 10:35
Beck - Sea Change / Morning Phase

David Bowie - The Leon Suites / All Saints

Can - Monster Movie / Delay 1968

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Best Of ...

City Of Women - I

The Cure - The Top / Head On The Door / Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me / Disintegration / Wish / Wild Mood Swings

Current 93 - Black Ships At The Sky / Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity - S/t (Rock Flashbacks comp LP)

Brian Eno - Music For Films / Ambient 1: Music For Airports / Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV) / New Space Music

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - E# A# 00

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead / American Beauty / Europe '72 / Wake Of The Flood

Greenvine - Mark You That Noat You Wel

Jon Hassell - Vernal Equinox / Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics / Fourth World Vol 2: Dream Theory In Malaya

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon / Lizard / Islands

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus / Mingus Ah Um / Mingus Dynasty

Quintessence - Move Into The Light: The Complete Island Recordings 1969-1971

Sun Ra & His Myth Science Arkestra - Angels & Demons At Play

Swans - The Glowing Man / Leaving Meaning

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (mono) / White Light White Heat

Roger Waters - Music From The Body

Wire - Chairs Missing / 154

V/A - The Man Who Fell To Earth
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Dec 04, 2022, 14:44
Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering
Vashti Bunyan - Heartleap

Scott Walker - This Is How You Disappear
Scott Walker - Scott On Screen
Scott Walker - Climate Of Hunter
Scott Walker - Tilt
Scott Walker - The Drift

Elton John - Caribou
Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy

Pet Shop Boys - Introspective
Liza Minnelli & Pet Shop Boys - Results

Mercury Rev - The Light In You
Mercury Rev - Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweete Revisited

Bobbie Gentry - Thunder In The Afternoon

Low - The Great Destroyer
Low - Drums And Guns
Low - C'mon
Low - The Invisible Way

Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity

Fiction Factory - Throw The Warped Wheel Out
Fiction Factory - Another Story

Bee Gees - Idea

Cardiacs - On Land & In The Sea
Cardiacs - Heaven Born & Ever Bright

Black Sabbath - 13
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Dec 05, 2022, 10:18
After I read this excellent article
https://reverbmachine.com/blog/deconstructing-brian-eno-music-for-airports/
I dug it out again and it is on heavy rotation ever since:
Brian Eno – Ambient 1 (Music For Airports)

Various – Jubilee (OST)
Mainly for the two Eno tracks.

Donald Byrd – Electric Byrd
Roland Kovac New Set – The Master Said
Peter Michael Hamel – The Voice Of Silence
Fripp & Eno – Evening Star
Cluster – Sowiesoso
David Bowie – Low
Eberhard Weber – The Following Morning
Eberhard Weber – Fluid Rustle

... and two of the best albums from 1979:
Fleetwood Mac – Tusk (in memory of Christine McVie)
PiL – Metal Box (in memory of Keith Levene)
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Dec 05, 2022, 16:46
The Lazy Eyes- Songbook
The Black Lips- Apocalypse Love
Bram Tchaikovsky- Strange Man, Changed Man
Alice Cooper- Welcome To My Nightmare
Bryan Ferry- Another Time, Another Place
Pat Benatar- In The Heat Of The Night
Pat Benatar- Greatest Hits
Fascinations Grand Chorus- Terror In The Night
Thought Bubble- Nowhere
The Electric Family- Saba
David Carroll & Friends- Bold Reynold
James Waudby- On The Ballast Miles
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2022, 19:53
Dec 05, 2022, 19:50
Becoming aware that I'm turning into a grumpy early middle aged man, I thought I'd seek a bee line to all the albums I've bookmarked on spotify from this current decade, to try and get passionate about some new music. I've come up with quite a unique evaluative system to rate albums. Here are my findings so far:

Ada Rook - Ugly Death. No
Aircooled - St Leopards. No
Danger Mouse, Black Thought - Cheat Codes. No
Kathryn Joseph - For you who are the wronged. No
The Psychedelic Furs - Made of Rain. Yes (just about)
Pyncher - Chew. No
Rachel Dadd - Kaleidoscope. Just about a yes
Alice Bowman -Dream on. No
The Aliens - Electronville. No
All them witches - Nothing as the ideal. No
Al-Qasar - Miraj. No
Anna B Savage - A common turn. No
Andrew Wasylyk - Fugitive Light and themes of consolation. Yes. Saw them at the Seachange festival this year and wasn't that receptive as was knackered and wanted to go home! Some lovely instrumental numbers here.
Anthony Joseph - The rich are only defeated when running for their lives. No
Anthroprophh - Toilet Circit EP. No
At the gates - The Nightmare of Being. No
Augenwasser - Sleepdancer. No
Bill Laswell et al - Acid lands. No
Black Dresses - Forever in your heart. No
Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways. No
Cloud of I - Gazing. No
Daniel Rossen - You belong there. No
David Crosby - For Free. No
David John Morris - Monastic Love Songs. No
Floating Points et al - Promises. Initially a yes, then I got bored by it so it is a No.
Divide and Dissolve - Gas Lit. Yes

That was several weeks worth. Normally I don't get past the first track. What conclusions can be drawn? Fussy? Discerning? Too quick to favourite any old album I haven't heard into Spotify? Modern life/new music is rubbish? Becoming a jaded grump? The truth is out there

x
Edit - That wasn't supposed to be a reply to Hunter. Soz
keith a
9574 posts

Dec 06, 2022, 06:55
The Wonderful & Frightening World Of... - The Fall
The 4 cd box set from a few years back. Includes singles/rough mixes, BBC sessions (not just Peel) and a live set. Enjoyed hearing all this again!

Vertigo Days – The Notwist
One of my most played albums in recent years. Slightly off-kilter electronic arrangements and their tunes just worm their way insidiously into your brain.

Covers – Cat Power
Unless I'm missing something this seems to be a bit forgotten when it comes to the end of the year lists. Pretty listener friendly at times but the version of Nick Cave's I Had A Dream Joe is suitably intense.

Also...

Veiled State - Ekca Liena

Somebody's Knocking – Mark Lanegan Band

The Alias Sessions – Murcof

Entangled Routes - Pye Corner Audio
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 06, 2022, 22:51
Write on. I enjoyed that : )
Unsung Forum Index