keith a
9574 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2022, 14:23
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 November 2022 CE
Nov 13, 2022, 21:37
A few weeks worth here!

Damned Damned Damned – The Damned
Music For Pleasure – The Damned
The Damned at Manchester Apollo...Well that sentence has a special place in my heart as I saw them support T.Rex there in 1977. Probably still my favourite ever gig. Anyway, I really enjoyed seeing The Damned there again a week or so ago. I've seen them numerous times over the years but it was great to hear those early numbers played by the original line up (who I only ever saw that once). I've always loved Rat's drumming so it was good to see him play again though in truth he was more restrained and less fluent than in his heyday which is obviously understandable (and I'm being hyper-critical here)- it's surely no coincidence that the two remaining members, Captain and Dave Vanian, were (in footie terms!) the two who were most match-fit. (Brian James clearly has health issues and was pretty immobile but his playing was great). They played the obvious ones like New Rose and Neat Neat Neat (and – off the top of my head everything else from the classic debut LP) but the highlight for me was You Know which closed the set. It had an almost Telegram Sam beat and the sax wailing was the icing on the cake. Makes you realise how good the second album could have been with a less dry production (it was disappointing at the time but it isn't the turkey some folk make out). I really enjoyed TV Smith, too. He was singing No Time To Be 21 when I arrived, quickly followed by another almost forgotten gem, Safety In Numbers. And as a final 3 songs go, Gary Gilmore's Eyes, Bored Teenagers and One Chord Wonders take some beating! I've read quite a few complimentary comments today about Penetration's performance but they just didn't do it for me. It was a great night and a cover of the Stones The Last Time was a pretty poignant moment as was – for me at least - Captain asking if there was anyone there who had been at the Marc gig in 1977.

Netherfield Works - Craven Faults
Nunroyd Works - Craven Faults
Springhead Works - Craven Faults
Erratics & Uncomformities - Craven Faults
Live Works - Craven Faults
Enclosures - Craven Faults
Some of my favourite releases from the past few years.

Also...
Mix Up – Cabaret Voltaire
Tick Tick Tick – Stephen Mallinder

The Milk Of Human Kindness – Caribou
Swim - Caribou

Changes – Charles Bradley
Live In Cuxhaven 1976 – Can
Covers – Cat Power
Carnage – Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought
Yeti Season - El Michels Affair
Wave 12” - Frank Chickens