Van Der Graaf Generator - ALT

Pink Floyd - Relics

Third Ear Band - Radio Sessions

Third Ear Band - Exorcisms

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

The Stands - All Years Leaving '

Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using

Paul Simon - Negotiations and Love Songs

Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant – Stratosphere Boogie: The Flaming Guitars Of Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant

Klaus Schulze - Mirage

V.A. - The Rock 'n' Roll Era 1954-1955

Corigliano - Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim – Symphony No. 1
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2022, 09:12
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 November 2022 CE
Nov 13, 2022, 09:11
Here’s what rattled my woofers and tweeters this week:

John Lennon ‘Walls and Bridges’ - Lennon’s “lost weekend” album is his most vibrant self-penned release and (almost) worth mentioning in the same breath as ‘Plastic Ono Band’;
Saxon ‘Carpe Diem’ - there’s still a place in my heart for straight to the gut metal, and this is a damn fine example;
Nazareth ‘No Jive’ - post Manny and Darrell, Naz went more metal than hard rock, as exhibited in this very Leppardesque release from 1991. What rescued them was the razorblade larynx of Dan McCafferty. RIP;
The Proclaimers ‘Like Comedy’ - 2012 album with a slightly slicker feel than the Reids’ other albums, not always to its advantage. But the wit, and the tunes, remain rampant;
Marillion ‘Holidays In Eden’ - which has risen in my affections so much in recent weeks that it’s rivalling their (very different) latest album as my go-to Marillion long player. Prog pop? Right on;
ZZ Top ‘Eliminator’ - that rare thing, an 80s rock album devoid of big drums and overproduction. And how it does rock;
ZZ Top ‘Deguello’ - oh yeah;
The Kinks ‘Arthur’ - my fave Kinks album by some distance;
Bruce Springsteen ‘Only The Strong Survive’ - this could’ve been meh but isn’t, despite these covers being relatively untampered with. It’s just a pleasure to hear Springsteen’s still amazing voice on songs he clearly covets as his own;
Devo ‘Hot Potatoes’ - pretty much definitive comp, though I prefer the Booji Boy versions of the early songs;
Schubert: Early Sonatas (Paul Lewis) - Lewis completes his long term Schubert survey with this masterful take on three of the master’s youthful piano sonatas. Can’t fault it;
Ravel: Rapsodie Espagnole & La valse (Detroit SO/Paray) - high octane renderings of two of Ravel’s most evocative scores;
Strauss: Don Juan/Hindemith: Harmony of the World/Schubert: Symphony no.9 (VPO/Furtwaengler) - an atypically vibrant performance of Schubert’s ‘Great’ C major Symphony capped a typically ethereal 1953 concert by this legendary conductor;
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.5 & Norfolk Rhapsody no.1 (LPO/Haitink) - interesting to hear a Dutchman’s take on such overtly English music. I like it, a lot;
Haydn: String Quartet Op.20 no.1 (Salomon Quartet) - period playing without sourness in this civilised rendition of one of Haydn’s first great quartets;
Matthew Martin ‘Great European Organs no.86’ - another of those fine Priory recordings, this time demonstrating the unique tonal colours of the London Oratory organ,
Mendelssohn: Organ Sonatas 1-3, Op.65 (James Lancelot) - intense and melodic late Mendelssohn pieces powerfully rendered on the Durham Cathedral organ;
Rheinberger: Organ Sonata no.12 (Wolfgang Ruebsam) - late romantic organ music with a more overtly Teutonic edge than the last named;
Debussy: Jeux (LPO/Baudo) - Baudo’s direct approach denies some of the ethereality of this magical score, but offers lots of interesting orchestral detail in compensation.

Are we not men?

Best

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2022, 07:44
Nov 13, 2022, 16:50
Stina Nordenstam - And She Closed Her Eyes

Scott Walker - Scott 4

Elton John - Honky Chateau

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality
Black Sabbath - Vol 4

Low - I Could Live In Hope
Low - Long Division
Low - The Curtain Hits The Cast

Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Sugar Tax
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Liberator
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Universal

Gwenifer Raymond - You Never Were Much Of A Dancer
Gwenifer Raymond - Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain

Rokurokubi - Saturn In Pisces
Rokurokubi - Iris, Flower Of Violence

Mercury Rev - Snowflake Midnight/Strange Attractor

Bee Gees - Sing & Play 14 Barry Gibb Song
Bee Gees - Spicks & Specks
Bee Gees - Turn Around, Look At Us
Bee Gees - 1st

Paul Simon - Paul Simon

of Arrowe Hill - Witch With Mother
of Arrowe Hill - 1914-1918

The Underground River - Nocturama : Vistas Of Sombre
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Nov 13, 2022, 17:25
The Beatles - Live At The BBC / On Air

Vashti Bunyan & Animal Collective - Prospect Hummer E.P.

Don Cherry - Organic Music Society / The Eternal Now / Brown Rice

The Cleaners From Venus - Dolly Birds & Spies / Penny Novelettes / That London

Cluster - Zwei-Osterei (Kluster) / '71

Cocteau Twins - Sunburst & Snowblind E.P. / Tiny Dynamine E.P. / Echoes In A Shallow Bay E.P.

Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool / Miles Ahead / Milestones

Dead Can Dance - Spleen & Ideal / Within The Realm Of The Dying Sun

Nick Drake - Pink Moon / Made To Love Magic

Harmonia - Muzik Von Harmonia / Deluxe

Heron Oblivion - S/t

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Josephine Foster - This Coming Goodness / Blood Rushing

Flux - Uncarved Block

Jan & Lorraine - Gypsy People

Japan - Quiet Life / Gentlemen Take Polaroids

Joni Mitchell - Song To A Seagull

Lou Reed - Transformer / Berlin

Siouxsie & The Banshees - A Kiss In The Dream House / Hyaena / Tinderbox / Through The Looking Glass

Frank Zappa etc - Lumpy Money / Mothermania
tk421
121 posts

Nov 13, 2022, 20:01
[quote="garerama"]

That’s two very different sides of a coin!
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2022, 14:23
Nov 13, 2022, 21:37
A few weeks worth here!

Damned Damned Damned – The Damned
Music For Pleasure – The Damned
The Damned at Manchester Apollo...Well that sentence has a special place in my heart as I saw them support T.Rex there in 1977. Probably still my favourite ever gig. Anyway, I really enjoyed seeing The Damned there again a week or so ago. I've seen them numerous times over the years but it was great to hear those early numbers played by the original line up (who I only ever saw that once). I've always loved Rat's drumming so it was good to see him play again though in truth he was more restrained and less fluent than in his heyday which is obviously understandable (and I'm being hyper-critical here)- it's surely no coincidence that the two remaining members, Captain and Dave Vanian, were (in footie terms!) the two who were most match-fit. (Brian James clearly has health issues and was pretty immobile but his playing was great). They played the obvious ones like New Rose and Neat Neat Neat (and – off the top of my head everything else from the classic debut LP) but the highlight for me was You Know which closed the set. It had an almost Telegram Sam beat and the sax wailing was the icing on the cake. Makes you realise how good the second album could have been with a less dry production (it was disappointing at the time but it isn't the turkey some folk make out). I really enjoyed TV Smith, too. He was singing No Time To Be 21 when I arrived, quickly followed by another almost forgotten gem, Safety In Numbers. And as a final 3 songs go, Gary Gilmore's Eyes, Bored Teenagers and One Chord Wonders take some beating! I've read quite a few complimentary comments today about Penetration's performance but they just didn't do it for me. It was a great night and a cover of the Stones The Last Time was a pretty poignant moment as was – for me at least - Captain asking if there was anyone there who had been at the Marc gig in 1977.

Netherfield Works - Craven Faults
Nunroyd Works - Craven Faults
Springhead Works - Craven Faults
Erratics & Uncomformities - Craven Faults
Live Works - Craven Faults
Enclosures - Craven Faults
Some of my favourite releases from the past few years.

Also...
Mix Up – Cabaret Voltaire
Tick Tick Tick – Stephen Mallinder

The Milk Of Human Kindness – Caribou
Swim - Caribou

Changes – Charles Bradley
Live In Cuxhaven 1976 – Can
Covers – Cat Power
Carnage – Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought
Yeti Season - El Michels Affair
Wave 12” - Frank Chickens
Slight Variations – Fujiya & Myagi
Art Pop – Githead
Electricity – Ibibio Sound Machine
Private Space – Durand Jones & the Indications
Kiwanuka – Michael Kiwanuka
Somebody's Knocking – Mark Lanegan Band
Hey What - Low
The Correct use Of Soap - Magazine
Live At Levitation – Moon Duo
The Last Laugh – The Nightingales
Vertigo Days – The Notwist
Super – Pet Shop Boys
Entangled Routes - Pye Corner Audio
Rolling Stones 2 – Rolling Stones
A Light For Attracting Attention – The Smile
Dusty In Memphis – Dusty Springfield
Glowing Man – Swans
Innervisions – Stevie Wonder
Wheels Turning 12” - The Woodentops
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Nov 13, 2022, 21:42
tk421 wrote:
[quote="garerama"]

That’s two very different sides of a coin!

Totally! Was reminded it was the 50th anniversary of Transformer. I like to play them back to back because of the differences. Heard to think they were released within a year of each other! Still regard Berlin as one of the most depressing albums ever, but there are some uplifting moments in there. If I had Metal Machine Music, I would have thrown that in too for further contrast, but have never got round to having that one ...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Nov 14, 2022, 11:43
Thanks for your erudite summary of the Damned’s reunion gig. I share your opinion that ‘Music For Pleasure’ is an unfairly maligned album. True, its production doesn’t have the visceral impact that Nick Lowe might have brought to it but Brian James’ songs are strong enough to withstand that with aplomb. And there’s the wonderful anomaly that is ‘Idiot Box’, a song unlike anything else in The Damned’s back catalogue with its awesome, almost jazzy, riff. It’s such a shame that their five man lineup didn’t last long.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2022, 11:14
Nov 16, 2022, 11:13
Nazareth - No Mean City
Nazareth - Malice In Wonderland
Nazareth - Expect No Mercy
Nazareth - Rock n Roll Telephone
Nazareth - No Jive
Nazareth - Hair Of The Dog
Nazareth - Rampant
Nazareth - Loud n Proud
Nazareth - The Fool Circle
Nazareth - Boogaloo
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2022, 14:25
Nov 29, 2022, 14:22
"Thanks for your erudite summary of the Damned’s reunion gig. I share your opinion that ‘Music For Pleasure’ is an unfairly maligned album. True, its production doesn’t have the visceral impact that Nick Lowe might have brought to it but Brian James’ songs are strong enough to withstand that with aplomb. And there’s the wonderful anomaly that is ‘Idiot Box’, a song unlike anything else in The Damned’s back catalogue with its awesome, almost jazzy, riff. It’s such a shame that their five man lineup didn’t last long."

Cheers! Yes I've always been a fan of Idiot Box, too. The lyrics still make me chuckle now!
Unsung Forum Index