Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2022, 18:27
Sparks
Oct 16, 2022, 15:51
I’ve seen yesterday the documentary The Sparks Brothers and liked it a lot. I wonder if there are any Sparks fans around here at HH? If so, what are the albums you prefer? Thanks in advance.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Re: Sparks
Oct 16, 2022, 16:44
Yes, the Edgar Wright film's lovely!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUsIYESOpM&t=7s

I first became aware of them when they appeared on BBC's Top Of The Pops performing 'This Town Ain't Big Enough...' I was only about thirteen and my Saturday job could barely cover my comics and Alice Cooper obsessions (during the quiet years of T.REX), so I never got the albums.

I did recently get 'Hippopotamus' - but, I'd like to know which albums from those earlier years are best to hunt down.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Oct 16, 2022, 18:06
‘Kimono My House’ and its equally fine follow up ‘Propaganda’ are good places to start, I think. Nearly half a century on, they still sound fresh and new.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Oct 16, 2022, 21:33
Fitter Stoke wrote:
‘Kimono My House’ and its equally fine follow up ‘Propaganda’ are good places to start, I think. Nearly half a century on, they still sound fresh and new.

Those two are indeed great and probably the best places to start, followed by the Giorgio Moroder produced 1979 comeback album, 'No.1 in Heaven' and its underrated follow-up, 'Terminal Jive'.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 17, 2022, 13:47
I think there's plenty Sparks fans on here

I'd say what songs stuck in your mind from the doc? Whichever one is the most recent, get that album. Then work your way around. I finally admitted to being interested in them "late on" (which is still over 25 years ago) and don't think they've put out a duff album in that time. That way, you get to work your way backwards through the "classics".

I reckon you'll get a lot of calls for the masterpiece Kimono My House. But, personally, I think that's like getting reccomended Hex Education Hour when you ask about The Fall; not the best way in. (IMHO, of course)

Maybe not the cast recording for Annette, though.
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Oct 17, 2022, 16:25
Here is a great clip from their Fairfield Halls gig in 1975. They had a cool band back then with Trevor White, Ian Hampton and Dinky Diamond. Eventually Russell Mael stirs up the crowd and the girls storm the stage. That's entertainment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9DYKbHWIWI
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Oct 18, 2022, 12:55
Brilliant!! ha ha ha!!

Some curious lip-sync issues there, I suspect Mr. Visconti might've done a bit of the ol' postproduction two step.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Oct 18, 2022, 18:45
I wasn't too familiar with them, but I loved the doc...still not a fan of the vocals, but I respect their art & tunes
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Oct 20, 2022, 22:30
Love the first two!

Kimono

pretty much everything
from '94 on is brilliant!
Kwoo
60 posts

Oct 27, 2022, 16:10
I love Sparks. And thought the documentary was really good. I liked some of the animation styles more than others but the anecdotes were great so I still enjoyed them all.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index