Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 October 2022 CE
Oct 09, 2022, 05:35
Flor de Loto - st

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Paul Weller - Stanley Road

Vince Guaraldi - It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

La Düsseldorf - st

Camel - Moonmadness

Charles Villiers Stanford, Gerald Finzi, Thea King, Philharmonia Orchestra, Alun Francis – Clarinet Concertos

Glazunov*, The Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Konstantine Krimets* – The Kremlin • From The Middle Ages • Poème Lyrique • Poème Épique

V.A. - The Real Kansas City of the '20s, '30s & '40s

V.A. - The Rough Guide to Dub
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2022, 09:18
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 October 2022 CE
Oct 09, 2022, 09:17
Level 42 ‘Standing In The Light’ - like much of the 80s music I once liked this hasn’t worn too well, but I still think ‘Micro Kid’ and ‘The Sun Goes Down’ are spifferooni;
Family ‘Bandstand’ - the ever inventive Family had got more mainstream by their sixth LP, best known for the funky ‘Burlesque’ but in my view highlighted by more introspective tracks like ‘Coronation’, ‘My Friend The Sun’ and the big closer ‘Top Of The Hill’. Fifty years old. Jeez;
Spooky Tooth ‘Spooky Two’ - one of those great unsung Island gems of 1969, an awesomely distinctive marriage of rock, blues and gospel with a touch of pre-Southern boogie* thrown in;
Spooky Tooth ‘The Mirror’ - an almost entirely different line-up made this 1974 swansong, but their class remains. This sounds a lot more modern than its age suggests. Mike Patto made a more than adequate substitute for the hitherto ever-present Mike Harrison. So sad that neither is still with us;
Gary Wright ‘The Dream Weaver’ - the one ST member common to both of the last named albums went on to partial rock stardom with this somewhat saccharine, but still good, album;
John Greaves, Peter Blegvad & Lisa Herman ‘Kew. Rhone.’ - I couldn’t understand this as a 16 year old and, at nearly four times that now, still can’t. But musically I get it, as any fan of Henry Cow or Carla Bley should;
Rush ‘Moving Pictures’ - capturing Rush post-metal but pre-80s synth overdrive, this might just be my favourite of their albums;
Marshall Tucker Band S/T - I dabbled in some of this lot’s mid-period stuff last week, but it’s their debut that still defines them. Country rock with balls, imagination and, er, flute;
Radiohead ‘OK Computer OKNOTOK 1997 2017’ - that rare thing, a deluxe reissue with genuinely desirable additional material. In fact, have Radiohead ever recorded a finer song than ‘Man Of War’? Forget ‘Spectre’, this is their Bond theme that got away;
Peter Hammill ‘The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage’ - how I managed to pen an Unsung review of this gem twenty years ago without mentioning the sublime perfection of ‘Red Shift’ is lost to me. Whatever, what I said then… plus infinity;
Paul Weller ‘Whoosh!’ EP - four previously unavailable tracks all worthy of the man. The rocking ‘Room 309’ is particularly fine;
David Bowie ‘Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)’ 45 - I remember the thrill of hearing this on Freakzone just before it came out. Eight years on it still sends a shiver down my spine in its not-quite-rock-not-quite-big-band-jazz-but-both-of-those-things-and-more kind of way. But I still think Robert Wyatt deserves a co-write credit. Talking of which:
Robert Wyatt ‘Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard’ - whilst inevitably patchier than its illustrious predecessor, Wyatt’s third solo LP has some excellent tracks, not least the epic ‘Team Spirit’ which eerily pre-echoes the aforesaid late Bowie classic in mood, if not motif as well. And ‘Muddy Mouth’ is just heart-wrenchily beautiful;
Deep Purple S/T - one of my earliest long-playing playing pop thrills, and still dear to me. I think the word at the time was “groovy”;
Deep Purple ‘Machine Head’ - but this is FAR groovier;
Wizzard ‘You Got The Jump On Me’ 45 - low-fi, hard riffing flip of ‘Angel Fingers’ displaying the same black country edge as early Sabbath and Priest, for its first five minutes anyway;
Mozart: Piano Sonatas 1 & 2 (Klara Wurtz) - I picked up Wurtz’ complete Mozart Sonatas box set in a charity shop this week for buttons. On the strength of these alone, I think I got a bargain;
Mozart: Symphony no.29 (English Baroque Soloists/Gardiner) - not abrupt or overdriven like some of this conductor’s recordings. I like this very much;
Sibelius: Symphony no.1 (Halle/Elder) - excitement, more than profundity, is the key to this record. Not a desert island choice but a damn good also ran, even if the sound is a bit boomy at times;
Schubert: Symphony no.5 (SFSO/Blomstedt) - Schubert’s sunniest symphony given a good straight reading;
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto no.3 (Andsnes/Oslo PO/Berglund) - this 1995 live recording preserves a total meeting of young and old minds between pianist and conductor. And what a concerto this is;
Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (Malmo SO/Trevino) - decent take on Beethoven’s Fifth slightly hampered by underpowered strings, especially in the energetic finale;
Beethoven: Symphony no.8 (Le Concert des Nations/Savall) - suitably vigorous period rendition of Beethoven’s most vigorous symphony, vividly recorded: I can almost hear the resin on the cellos;
Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (w.Staatskapelle Berlin) and Piano Sonatas 11 & 21 ‘Waldstein’ (Daniel Barenboim) - I was sorry to learn of Barenboim’s ill health this week. His latest traversal of the 32 Beethoven sonatas, recorded during lockdown, shows that old age has not withered his talent, and his ‘Eroica’ has a grandeur worthy of his idol Furtwaengler. Get well soon, Maestro.

(* at the end of ‘That Was Only Yesterday’)

Have a groovy week, dear friends.

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Oct 09, 2022, 12:02
Fitter Stoke wrote:

David Bowie ‘Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)’ 45 - I remember the thrill of hearing this on Freakzone just before it came out. Eight years on it still sends a shiver down my spine in its not-quite-rock-not-quite-big-band-jazz-but-both-of-those-things-and-more kind of way. But I still think Robert Wyatt deserves a co-write credit.

Robert Wyatt may not have got a co-write credit but the first name on the credits (in alphabetical order) is Paul Bateman, a former work colleague of mine. He was part of a duo called Plastic Soul and the bassline is 'borrowed' from a song of theirs. Still can't quite get my head round that. I expect it was even more mind-blowing for him.
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2022, 12:11
Oct 09, 2022, 12:10
Kevin Ayers - Joy Of A Toy / Shooting At The Moon / Odd Ditties

The Beatles - Rubber Soul (mono) / A Collection Of Beatles Oldies / Get Back (soniclovenoize 2022 upgrade) / Apple Rooftop Performance (soniclovenoize 2022 upgrade)

Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops

Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill / Psychonaut / Celestial Ocean

The Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973 / The Singles 1974-1978

Klaus Dinger & Prejapandorf - 2000!

Jellyfish - Bellybutton

John Martyn - Bless The Weather / Solid Air

Psychic TV - Live In Tokyo / Live In Paris / Live In Heaven

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Exit 23 / Biospheres & Sacred Grooves / Obsidian

Sand - Golem

Pharoah Sanders - Pharoah's First / Deaf, Dumb & Blind / Black Unity

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours / Songs for Swingin' Lovers! / My Way: The Best Of

Stereolab - Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On Vol 2) / Oscillons From The Anti-Sun

Sun Ra - Medicine For A Nightmare / Space Is The Place

Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

Toiling Midgets - Son

UK Subs - Crash Course / Export Only

Kawashi Washington - Heaven & Earth / The Choice

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place / This Is The Sea / Dream Harder

X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents

Yonin Bayachi - Ishoku-Sokuhatsu
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Oct 09, 2022, 14:28
Elvis Presley - He Touched Me
Elvis Presley - Burning Love & Hits From His Movies
Elvis Presley - Separate Ways
Elvis Presley - Standing Room Only (this aborted release should have been the sole Elvis album of 1972, making better use of that year's singles than throwing them away on the previous 2 budget albums, and with a more judicious choice of live tracks than the two live albums that followed in quick succession)
Elvis Presley - Live At Madison Square Gardens (someone once described this album as sounding like Elvis had a taxi waiting - taking the rockers at such a speed is okay, but the rushed version of "Funny How Time Slips Away" sounds like desecration compared to the sublime version on Elvis Country)
Elvis Presley - Elvis (The 'Fool' Album)
Elvis Presley - Raised On Rock/For Ol' Times Sake

Leonard Cohen - Various Positions
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Leonard Cohen - The Future

Yo La Tengo - Ride The Tiger
Yo La Tengo - New Wave Hot Dogs
Yo La Tengo - President Yo La Tengo
Yo La Tengo - Fakebook

Stereolab - Space Age Batchelor Pad Music
Stereolab - Transient Random Noisebursts With Announcements
Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet
Stereolab - Aluminum Tunes (Switched On Vol. 3)

Elton John - Rarities 1965-1971
Elton John - Regimental Sgt Zippo

Brian Wilson - Lucky Old Sun
Brian Wilson - Reimagines Gershwin
Brian Wilson - In The Key Of Disney

The Who - Tommy
The Who - Lifehouse (soniclovenoise reconstruction)

Kaleidoscope - White Faced Lady

Edith Frost - Wonder Wonder
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 09, 2022, 17:25
Vieux Farka Toure & Khruangbin : Ali

Young Guv : Guv IV

The Lounge Society : Tired of Liberty

Meat Puppets : Mirage

Lindisfarne : Nicely Out of Tune

The Remains : s/t

The Bug Club : Pure Particles

Cannibal Ox : The Cold Vein

Lou Reed : Words & Music, May 1965
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Oct 09, 2022, 19:42
Fenella- The Metallic Index
Linda Lewis- Lark
Pearls Before Swine- The Wizard of Is
George Harrison- All Things Must Pass
The Move- Shazam
Ian Lloyd- Goosebumps
The Dukes of Stratosfear- Psionic Psunspot
Peggy Lee- Norma Delores Egstrom From South Dakota
The Human League- Crash
The Human League- Romantic?
Mike Oldfield- Crises
The Triffids- The Black Swan
All About Eve- Touched By Jesus
Throwing Muses- The Real Ramona
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 10, 2022, 08:59
Two weeks worth here...

Enchanted – Marc Almond

This House EP – Baba Ali

Animal Magic – Blow Monkeys
Realms Of Gold – Dr Robert

Fragments – Bonobo

Micro-Phonies – Cabaret Voltaire
The Covenant, The Sword & Arm Of The Lord – Cabaret Voltaire

I'm Not Following You – Edwyn Collins

Get Happy – Elvis Costello & the Attractions

17 Seconds – The Cure
Faith – The Cure

Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought

Searching For The Young Soul Rebels – Dexys Midnight Runners

S/T – The For Carnation

Kiwanuka – Michael Kiwanuka

Somebody's Knocking – Mark Lanegan Band

McCartney III – Paul McCartney

The Devil, You + Me – The Notwist
Vertigo Days – The Notwist

The Long Goodbye – Pere Ubu

Entangled Routes - Pye Corner Audio

One True Passion V2.0 – Revenge

Silur – Tarwater
Animals, Suns & Atoms – Tarwater
Nanocluster – Immersion (with Tarwater, Laetetia Sadier, Ulrich Schnauss & Scanner)

My People Were Fair – Tyrannosaurus Rex
Prophets Seers & Sages – Tyrannosaurus Rex

Closure – Vacant Lots

After The Fall - Videodrones
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Oct 11, 2022, 13:33
Just returned from a late Autumn holiday in Norfolk. Not a place I've visited before, most peeps I know said it was a crap place, but gotta say, personally, nothing but good things. It was lovely.

QOTSA - R-Rated/ Songs For The Deaf

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

The Stone Roses - S/T

V/A - Silberland Vol:1 The Psychedelic Side Of Krautrock
Toppity good selection of tunes. Some mad, some chilled, some familiar, some not. https://bureaub.bandcamp.com/album/silberland-kosmische-musik-vol-1-1972-1986

Psychic Graveyard/ USA Nails - Split
Bands remix each other or something. To quote Bandcamp 'Slabby noise rock/angular post punk'. Who am I to argue with that approximation, good stuff! https://usanails.bandcamp.com/album/psychic-graveyard-usa-nails-split

V/A - Late Nite Tales (Version Excursion) selected by Don Letts
Top selection of dubby reggae goodness.
https://latenighttales.bandcamp.com/album/version-excursion-selected-by-don-letts

V/A - Jon Savage's 1977-79 Cymbals Crashing Everywhere
If you're of a certain age, you probably have most of the tracks on here, but still good to hear.

Soft Cell - Happiness Not Included

Goat - Fuzzed In Europe / World Music
Looking forward to the new one when I've got the cash.

Yazoo - Four Pieces

Craven Faults - Erratics and Unconformities
Soundtrack some of those Norfolk beaches and broads perfectly.

V/A - Soul Jazz Presents - Studio One Music Lab
To quote Ash/Evil Dead.....Groovy! https://www.juno.co.uk/products/studio-one-music-lab/887882-01/

Fujiya Miyagi - Slight Variations
Still love F&M, they seem to get more sarcastic with each release.
https://fujiyamiyagi.bandcamp.com/album/slight-variations

The Mystery Lights - Too Much Tension
Wish they'd hurry up with a bloody new record!

Probably more, but I gotta get on. Have a pleasant week.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Oct 11, 2022, 15:14
All my Jah Wobble CD's - Take me to God - Rising above Bedlam - Chinese Dub - Journey to Hades (with Evan Parker). RAB was the one that gelled with me most this time around.

Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology

Chuck D - Autobiography of Mister Chuck

Cluster - Grosses Wasser

Coil - Live Limoges '02. First airing of this. I find Coil quite accessible from the little i've heard - they do have a bit of a reputation and cover some sinister terrain so that is probably a bit strange.

Beth Orton - Weather Alive. Been garnering a fair bit of positive press, and I don't mind BO from the few albums I've heard - but this added nothing. Maybe I should revisit to make sure...
Unsung Forum Index