Janice Long R.I.P.

8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Janice Long R.I.P.
Jan 05, 2022, 15:25
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
She was definitely a huge supporter of Cope, and the Liverpool scene in general. If my memory is correct, she played World Shut Your Mouth twice in a row when it first came out and was full of enthusiasm for Julian's "comeback". As I've said elsewhere, for many in our generation she was as important as Peel in introducing us to great music, and championed the more melodic side of independent / alternative music in the 80s. She was a friendly, knowledgeable voice to do your school homework to. Loved her on-air chats with John Walters and interview segments, too.

Indeed. It's quite amusing to think that releasing a new single after a mere eighteen-month absence constituted a comeback in those days, now that we're in an era where the average for most bands is an album every two/three years. And yes, she was indeed a supporter of other Liverpool bands such as the Bunnymen, the Pale Fountains, Wah! and many others.

I don't specifically remember her playing "World Shut Your Mouth" twice in a row, but your memory is probably correct as I definitely remember her doing that with Felt's "Primitive Painters" (which I immediately went out and bought the next day despite never having heard Felt before). She also turned me onto a fair few others such as the Jesus and Mary Chain, Nick Cave and Momus.

Unsung Forum Index