Register
Unsung Forum »
Janice Long R.I.P.

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Janice Long R.I.P.
Dec 29, 2021, 13:15
I know this happened four days ago now, but given that she was a staunch supporter of Julian throughout much of his career I was surprised there was no mention of it on here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/janice-long-death-tributes-radio-1-b1982814.html
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Re: Janice Long R.I.P.
Dec 31, 2021, 13:36
She was definitely a huge supporter of Cope, and the Liverpool scene in general. If my memory is correct, she played World Shut Your Mouth twice in a row when it first came out and was full of enthusiasm for Julian's "comeback". As I've said elsewhere, for many in our generation she was as important as Peel in introducing us to great music, and championed the more melodic side of independent / alternative music in the 80s. She was a friendly, knowledgeable voice to do your school homework to. Loved her on-air chats with John Walters and interview segments, too.
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 03, 2022, 00:11
I remember listening to her late night show as I drove back from a Julian Cope gig about 10 yrs ago. I messaged her to say Julian had been on great form. I knew she would mention it because she loved Julian too and sure enough she did and you could almost hear the smile in her voice. RIP Janice x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 05, 2022, 15:25
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
She was definitely a huge supporter of Cope, and the Liverpool scene in general. If my memory is correct, she played World Shut Your Mouth twice in a row when it first came out and was full of enthusiasm for Julian's "comeback". As I've said elsewhere, for many in our generation she was as important as Peel in introducing us to great music, and championed the more melodic side of independent / alternative music in the 80s. She was a friendly, knowledgeable voice to do your school homework to. Loved her on-air chats with John Walters and interview segments, too.

Indeed. It's quite amusing to think that releasing a new single after a mere eighteen-month absence constituted a comeback in those days, now that we're in an era where the average for most bands is an album every two/three years. And yes, she was indeed a supporter of other Liverpool bands such as the Bunnymen, the Pale Fountains, Wah! and many others.

I don't specifically remember her playing "World Shut Your Mouth" twice in a row, but your memory is probably correct as I definitely remember her doing that with Felt's "Primitive Painters" (which I immediately went out and bought the next day despite never having heard Felt before). She also turned me onto a fair few others such as the Jesus and Mary Chain, Nick Cave and Momus.
Makkr
307 posts

Jan 08, 2022, 01:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edTH3UF0c8E
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Jan 11, 2022, 12:08
i seem to remember an interview in the last 5 years, possibly less even?
I was sad to hear this news, i always liked her interviews especially, i got the impression that the artists really enjoyed and felt easy in her company. As a kid in the 80'slistening to radio 1 and toptp, it was such a male scene, and then there was Janice. She held her position as true pro and I never got the feeling that she was intimidated in that overtly male environment, she always seemed to have respect.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jan 12, 2022, 00:41
Billy MacKenzie thoroughly enjoyed being on the Janice long Show. He wanted us to all tune in and "make her the most popular DJ in the world". Aaaawww Billy!

https://youtu.be/1gQtzND7J2k?t=4041

It is of its time!
Resecpaw
1 posts

Edited Jan 21, 2022, 07:44
Jan 20, 2022, 11:47
It's so sad. No one is immortal...
Unsung Forum Index