14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2021, 20:13
Re: 13th Floor Elevators Rio Nido tape
Aug 25, 2021, 20:06
A word in praise of KS. I was in touch with him back in the early 2000s for Roky / Elevators CD-R's, which he kindly sent to me in exchange for some blanks. No $$ involved.

He certainly has an abrasive persona/ attitude, but he did a lot of work on unearthing and making rare recordings available for the fans. Actions over words. If you Know the story of International Artists Recordings of Texas, the loss of the Elevators master Tapes, and Charly Records disgraceful exploitation of their (and other artists) catalog with crappy sounding reissues for decades, maybe you'll understand the value of his work. I doubt we'd have got the 'Sign Of The Three Eyed Men' Box without him.

He certainly had a combative attitude towards those self-appointed expert collectors who closely guarded access to their various treasures to a tight circle of insiders.

Fair enough, I want to hear these recordings, and life is only so long. (Y'know, fuck Pink Floyd, I despise their post-Syd records, but they got to hold onto stuff like Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream for over 50 years before changing their minds, and deciding they WERE worthy of release after all when they had a massive ugly box set to flog.)

One of the guys he's battled with is Bill Miller, who played with Roky, and made the wonderful, out of time, Cold Sun 'Dark Shadows' record. A psych masterpiece. I don't know either of them personally, and don't know enough about their dispute to take sides. So I don't have to - I can appreciate the work of both!

Same with Patrick Lundborg, I enjoyed his book at the time, but he could come across like an elitist academic. Look at all these records I own which you will never hear! I've got the contacts and bread, not you, peasant!

Unsung Forum Index